Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of bikes are used in the neutral zone. I mean the ones on top of the Mavic car.

·
Registered
523 Posts
They are a mixture of bikes on any one car. It's been a couple years, but I definitely remember seeing a Cannondale or two mixed among the other bikes on the rack.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
the trick is the pedals. i think most have bear traps, but if you are lucky you will score a bike in your size with your pedals.

this really comes to life during paris-roubaix

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
For some reason, this reminds me of a story--I think I saw it last year--about a fan watching the race on the side of the road when a racer crashed right in front of him, rendering his bike unrideable. The fan had ridden his own bike to the course, and as it turned out, he had the same bike as the racer, even the same pedals. The racer looked at the fan's bike, the fan said, here, take it, and the racer hopped on and rode off. And in the TOC last year, Bobby Julich had a rear flat and flagged down a fan riding along on the sidewalk with a suitable rear wheel. They swapped and Julich rode off. I don't know if it's neutral support, but it's timely.

I love those stories, not sure why, maybe because they illustrate the lack of barriers between cycling fans and racers or maybe just because they're cool.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
harlond said:
For some reason, this reminds me of a story--I think I saw it last year--about a fan watching the race on the side of the road when a racer crashed right in front of him, rendering his bike unrideable. The fan had ridden his own bike to the course, and as it turned out, he had the same bike as the racer, even the same pedals. The racer looked at the fan's bike, the fan said, here, take it, and the racer hopped on and rode off. And in the TOC last year, Bobby Julich had a rear flat and flagged down a fan riding along on the sidewalk with a suitable rear wheel. They swapped and Julich rode off. I don't know if it's neutral support, but it's timely.

I love those stories, not sure why, maybe because they illustrate the lack of barriers between cycling fans and racers or maybe just because they're cool.
Julich and the wheel story was well documented in this forum by the person that gave the wheel. Im too lazy to search.

I definately remember the CR1s being used from a couple years ago, and I thought I recalled someone finishing the prologue on one.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,143 Posts
harlond said:
For some reason, this reminds me of a story--I think I saw it last year--about a fan watching the race on the side of the road when a racer crashed right in front of him, rendering his bike unrideable. The fan had ridden his own bike to the course, and as it turned out, he had the same bike as the racer, even the same pedals. The racer looked at the fan's bike, the fan said, here, take it, and the racer hopped on and rode off. l.
I believe that happened in the Tour Down Under. The rider and fan had Colnago's.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
grrrah said:
Julich and the wheel story was well documented in this forum by the person that gave the wheel. Im too lazy to search.
Nah, it was someone on slowtwitch. The guy that gave Julich the wheel actually was only running 9 speed, so it wasn't a perfect fit. He had a yellow tire, so it was easy to spot his wheel in the pic of Julich for the day.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Imaging being the fan that saved the race leader from losing his lead! Seriously If I were watching the race from and the leader had a mechanical in front of me and his bike matched mine I wouldn't think twice before giving the guy my bike. I'd likely try to fix his and ride it to the finish. haha. Unless the team car came and took it who knows!?

·
Registered
185 Posts
at all the races I've been too they where cannondales with sram force

·
Quadrogenarian
316 Posts
baker921 said:
Last year's TdF I seem to remember a Barloword rider SA? chucking his bike down the side of a mountain.
That guy went down the mountain with the bike, he stopped sliding but the bike didn't. I always wondered if they got that bike back.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts