Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have many of you used these for road races with rolling roads and short (less than 1km) hill climbs? Did you feel the weight was a penalty? They are one of the heaviest 'aero' wheelsets on the market these days. But I like the quality of their hubs, and they also seem to be the best priced compared to Easton, Zipp, Reynolds, etc.
 

·
wheelbuilder
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Have many of you used these for road races with rolling roads and short (less than 1km) hill climbs? Did you feel the weight was a penalty? They are one of the heaviest 'aero' wheelsets on the market these days. But I like the quality of their hubs, and they also seem to be the best priced compared to Easton, Zipp, Reynolds, etc.
Heavy is a very relative term. The wya manufacturers use "aero" is too. The K's are light as far as many wheels out ther go. They are not in the same league as the deep profile rims like Zipp/Reynolds etc. with regards to aerodynamics. They are about halfway between standars box section rims are the aero varieties out there.

There are lighter wheels and there are more aero wheels. If you look around there are lighter, more aero wheels out there and they are cheaper to boot.

-Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
ergott said:
Heavy is a very relative term. The wya manufacturers use "aero" is too. The K's are light as far as many wheels out ther go. They are not in the same league as the deep profile rims like Zipp/Reynolds etc. with regards to aerodynamics. They are about halfway between standars box section rims are the aero varieties out there.

There are lighter wheels and there are more aero wheels. If you look around there are lighter, more aero wheels out there and they are cheaper to boot.

-Eric
I've read that the Carbon SLs are pretty rugged even if they're not the lightest, cheapest or most areo. All of those advantages dissapear when the wheels are in the shop.
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,882 Posts
I haven't used them, but I've used reg'lar old wheels that were the same weight. A climb of less than 1km isn't really a climb.

Now, in the 25km uphill TT I did last year on 32-spoke wheels -- all I had at that point -- I was wishin' for some 202's or something.
 

·
wheelbuilder
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
hairscrambled said:
I've read that the Carbon SLs are pretty rugged even if they're not the lightest, cheapest or most areo. All of those advantages dissapear when the wheels are in the shop.
You can have all of the above including durability for less as well. The K's have a good record, but so do a lot of other options.

-Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,876 Posts
If I'm reading the OP right he's not asking about "K"s, he's talking about Carbones, a very different wheel.

There have been several different versions of the Cosmic Carbones. I've ridden them for 7 years, for 3 years they were my only wheels. The first generation had 57mm profiles with 16 bladed spokes front and rear. With the SSC's the spokes became black, the rear had 20 spokes and improvements were made to the hidden eyelets. The rims were heavy box aluminum with plastic fairings. Good aerodynamics but relatively heavy compared to the competition. They are available in tubular and clincher. A few years ago several tubulars showed up on the major tours that had all carbon fiber rims. I've never seen these offered to the public. The latest clincher version has a smaller profile and seem to have similar construction to the SSC's with aluminum rims and CF? fairings.
My general impression is that they are all well built wells even though the first generation had some eyelet problems, that's where my rear wheel broke. They are a lot of trouble to true, you have to remove the tires, tubes, and rim strips, and use a special nipple wrench.
After my wheel failure problem, MAVIC replaced the rear at 50% of retail, I use mine only as time time wheels and wish the rear was a dish and the front was tubular.

Al
 

·
wheelbuilder
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Al1943 said:
If I'm reading the OP right he's not asking about "K"s, he's talking about Carbones, a very different wheel.
Al
I'll be quiet now. It's been a long week and I I read Ksyrium SL, not Carbone SL. Not one of my better moments :D

-Eric
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top