Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone, particularly bigger riders, had any good or bad luck with Mavic CXP-33 wheels? I had considered the Open/Pros, but keep hearing about the infamous clicking noise. I'm replacing the Alex Rims that came on my Trek...I've busted six spokes in the last nine months..either because they're horrible or I'm too big (6-2, 190) for them. I appreciate any feedback on the CXPs...thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am 220pds and have thousands of miles on CXP-33s. They are a good rim for heavier people. They are very tough and you can run about anything over and they will still be true. The open pros compaired to the CXP-33 have a squishy felling to them, CXP-33 are stiffer ride. I would recommend that you go with CXP-33s and not the open pros at your weight. Nothing wrong with the open pros. But you have to understand that most parts for bicycles are designed for someone really around 145 pds. You can still build a light wheel even using CXP-33s. And you will never need another wheel again if you take care of it.
And use good spokes. I am running DT revolution 14/17 on front and rear not drive side and DT comps 14/15 on drive side. Haven't broken a spoke yet. If you are breaking spokes than who ever built your wheels needs to go back and retrue them with correct tention, sounds like they have to much on one side and not enough on the other.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
lemond2001 said:
I am 220pds and have thousands of miles on CXP-33s. They are a good rim for heavier people. They are very tough and you can run about anything over and they will still be true. The open pros compaired to the CXP-33 have a squishy felling to them, CXP-33 are stiffer ride. I would recommend that you go with CXP-33s and not the open pros at your weight. Nothing wrong with the open pros. But you have to understand that most parts for bicycles are designed for someone really around 145 pds. You can still build a light wheel even using CXP-33s. And you will never need another wheel again if you take care of it.
And use good spokes. I am running DT revolution 14/17 on front and rear not drive side and DT comps 14/15 on drive side. Haven't broken a spoke yet. If you are breaking spokes than who ever built your wheels needs to go back and retrue them with correct tention, sounds like they have to much on one side and not enough on the other.
I ride CXP33s and also OPs. I weigh about 200 now. Was always having to rebuild the Open Pro rears, but with the CXP33 I have only had to rebuild once in quite a while. I ride a 32 front and a 36 back.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I weigh 190 and have been using a set of 28 spoke Cxp-33's with Dura-Ace Hubs for 3 years now. They are my club ride /go fast wheels and have about 2-3000 miles on them. Ithink I had to turn a spoke 1/4 turn once but that's all. They are 2x front/3x rear with alloy nipples except on the drive side. They will build into a good wheel.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
The rear wheel on my cpx33 wheelset died last weekend. I bought it in January 1999 and it had around 40-50K on it. I have been as heavy as 238 and am currently 215. About five years ago I blew the tire off of the rim while going downhill at about 35mph. The tire wrapped around the cassette and brake caliper. I rode on the bare rim for about 200 feet before I could get stopped. When I got home all I had to do was sand the bead edge to take some rough edges off. The wheel never had a truing wrench on it. Last Saturday while doing a practice time trial, the Chorus hub flange shattered. I will replace the wheel with another cpx 33 buildup. Glad I didn't originally get red.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I also like the CXP 33s

I am 6'5", 240 lbs. Rode these on D/A hubs. Nice and strong. I also have several sets of OPs, but lately my favorite rim is the Velocity Aerohead. Not as strong as the CXP33, but I like the OC rear. Makes for a nice wheel. Not enough miles on them to say how long they will last (as they are quite a bit lighter than the CXP33s), but from reviews they seem to be very durable.

Either one avoids the OP click!

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
Agreed with above comments. CXP 33s/ DT Rev 32 front and 36 rear builds a durrable wheel for anyone.
Velocity rims are of equal quality, perhaps a little less cost. They have the Aerohead, Fusion, Deep V, Pro Elite (deep V tubular), and Escape tubular. Nice rims.
Glory cycles had some Velocity rims laced to American classic hubs, light wheels for $500

·
Registered
159 Posts
So where do you buy a CXP33 wheelset these days?

I can't seem to find anyone building wheels using these rims anymore. I'm a big guy (270+) and need stronger wheels. I'm tired of snapping spokes (like last night on my group ride) on my 20 spoke front and 32 spoke rear wheels. I've been looking on eBAY but there are only a few right now. There used to be quite a few the last time I looked a couple years ago. So who is still building wheels with these rims?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
203 Posts
ECF said:
I can't seem to find anyone building wheels using these rims anymore. I'm a big guy (270+) and need stronger wheels. I'm tired of snapping spokes (like last night on my group ride) on my 20 spoke front and 32 spoke rear wheels. I've been looking on eBAY but there are only a few right now. There used to be quite a few the last time I looked a couple years ago. So who is still building wheels with these rims?
Colorado Cyclist

I had them build me a set of CXP33's on 36-hole Record hubs, DT 14/15 3x laced. This was about a year ago but it looks like they are still offering them on their website. I have about 2000mi on them and they have been flawless so far (much better than the Campy Vento G3's they replaced). I weigh 225, BTW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely Colorado Cyclist

After the great response to the CXPs from my original post, I finally ordered them from Colorado Cyclist. It took about six days for them to arrive. I haven't had a chance to ride them much yet, but from what I can tell they're great! I'd definitely recommend using Colorado Cyclist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ECF you may want to try my set-up.
I am 300+ clyde.

Mavic A719
Ultegra hubs 32h front and rear
DT swiss spokes - 3x lace.

So far, 300 miles, still true and stiff. As I lose weight I will rebuild with a CXP33 or something similar in the future.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Yeah, "CXP-33's" are great wheels for heavier riders, or anyone who just wants a durable rim. I'm a heavy rider myself (250 lbs), and have been using the Mavic "Open 4 CD" until the rear rim failed recently after nearly 9000 miles. My next wheelset was surely going to be the 33's but opted instead for the Ambrosio "Excellence" rims I'm having built.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I got a pair from Colorado Cyclist a while back, as well. I was very surprised how fast they arrived and they have been great. CXP33, Ultegra hubs, 32h 3x front and rear, very decent price. I am not huge at 175-180, but I am hard on wheels. These are still as true as when I got them. I seem to remember that I had a thread asking for advice before I bought and bigbill posted there. I'm glad I listened. :)

Last I checked, Excelsports still offered builds with CXP33 rims but they were about $50 more than CC when I bought.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not a glowing review

I'm reasonably satisfied with my CXP33 build. I'm 6'4" 230lbs, and after 3k to 4k, my rear CXP 33 developed the Open Pro click. I had the rim less than a year, and wanted it replaced under warranty, but was told to pound sand. I had never heard of a CXP33 developing the Open Pro click. Shortly thereafter, a spoke pulled thorough the rim, and I tossed it. I rebuilt it with another CXP33, and so far so good.

I was getting around 6k out of Open Pro rears, before the spokes started pulling through. After my second Open Pro build, I went to the CXP33.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
One thing that I noticed lately about CPX33s is the lack of 36H versions. I located one at a shop in San Diego for a build. Blacksmith wheels is building me a new back wheel with chorus, 36H CPX33, and 14G straight. My old wheel was a 32H with around 50K on it but the chorus hub flange broke so I tossed the whole thing minus the internals of the hub. My new wheel is for JRA.

·
Registered
30 Posts
CXP33 is the most durable rim (provided the wheel is built ok) I built them for a couple of riders (training wheels) last year, and they are still very true. Mind you a lot of the training is done on the pave road of Flanders, and the riders are very serious (18-24 hrs traing per week)

·
Registered
571 Posts
I bought some 32 hole CXP 33s laced to DA 9spd a while ago and will probably never sell them, they are great. BTW I am 93kg.:thumbsup:

cheers

Ralph

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got a set of CPX33's laced to Ultegra hubs (28 F, 32R) from Excel Sports last summer and have nothing but good things to say about the rims and the build. I am on average about 175lbs and bounce them over some pretty crappy roads and the wheels have not had to be touched since I put them on my bike. There are lots of lighter builds, but I was looking for a long term, maintenance free wheel. That's what I got.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yikes, I guess I'm the only one here who has had a string of bad luck with CXP-33's. I first had a 28-hole CXP-33 laced to a Shimano Ultegra rear hub for the 2004 season (~2000 miles). During one of my centuries, the rim literally started cracking at three spoke points and progressively got worse as the ride went on. At the end of the ride, the people with me were very concerned about the noise it was making. :) The LBS then swapped it for a 32-hole CXP-33 under warranty at the start of the 2005 season and I put another 1900 miles on it. Lo and behold, I looked at it last week and cracks have started at three spoke junctions. Sigh. Both wheels were built by my LBS and I average between 206-220 lbs depending on time of season.

I'm now switching to Neuvation M28 Aero's for my training bike and R28 Aero's for my racing bike.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.