Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the freewheel hub be changed on this wheelset? I want to swap the wheels over to a Campy bike.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ctracer01 said:
possibly-

newer versions, yes,

older versions, i don't think so

take off your cassette. if you have two small spacers behind it, then it is a new enough version and you can buy a campy freewheel for it.

if not you need a new hub
The wheelset is off a 2005 TCR Comp 1, so it looks good.

BTW, anybody know how to contact Mavic USA??? There is no contact address, either e-mail or phone, on their website.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You might want to consider a Wheels Mfg conversion cassette. They rebuild shimano cassettes for Campy spacing. For the price of a Centaur cassette you can get the Wheels Mfg conversion. If youre buying a new freehub body at $50 and a cassette at $120+ you'd save the $50 buying the conversion cassette. If you want both bodies for future verstility, of if you've already got a cassette you'd be better off buying the body.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joeslow2 said:
You might want to consider a Wheels Mfg conversion cassette. They rebuild shimano cassettes for Campy spacing. For the price of a Centaur cassette you can get the Wheels Mfg conversion. If youre buying a new freehub body at $50 and a cassette at $120+ you'd save the $50 buying the conversion cassette. If you want both bodies for future verstility, of if you've already got a cassette you'd be better off buying the body.
Thanks for the tip! However the Mavic Elites will be going on another bike with all Campy, so I gotta get a cassette anyway.

But what you are saying is they just convert a Shimano cassette for Campy spacing, and it uses the same Shimano cogs with the Campy groupset? Do Shimano cogs work fine with a Campy setup? I know Shimano customizes the teeth profile on the chainrings for their stuff, but I guess cogs are cogs?

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
American Classic Conversion Cassette

Clevor said:
Thanks for the tip! However the Mavic Elites will be going on another bike with all Campy, so I gotta get a cassette anyway.

But what you are saying is they just convert a Shimano cassette for Campy spacing, and it uses the same Shimano cogs with the Campy groupset? Do Shimano cogs work fine with a Campy setup? I know Shimano customizes the teeth profile on the chainrings for their stuff, but I guess cogs are cogs?

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW3001 Just $70 bucks and works pretty well. My wife has it on her campy dressed bike for about a year now. Converting the freehub body is $50, depending on the campy cassette, it would be at least another $80. She currently has a pair of (shimano compatible) Rolf Vector Comps under her bike.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts