Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping I could get some feedback on the Kysrium ES. Look great - would like to know if anyone has used them?

(Apologies if this has been asked before - couldn't see anything).
Cheers

·
Registered
491 Posts
Very nice but $$$$

I know a rider with these wheels, they are very nice, very similar to the Ksyrium SL's. the hubs are different and lighter and the rims are a tad different from looking at them. But overall they are very similar. He's a light rider about 150lbs so he has had no issues with the wheels so far, and they look sweet on his specialized. But he did come from K SL's and said that there isn't much of a difference, if any. the wheels came with his bike, but I dont know if I would spend 1000+ dollars for a set, maybe if you can get a deal. I like my K SL's on my bianchi, but the ES's are just to exspensive for my tastes, for a 1000+ it would have to be carbon. Hope all this helps

·
go up
648 Posts
I have ended up with a set and love them. I have about 1500 miles on them and they seem solid to me, don't flex on the steep hills, and they just feel fast.

I would not go out and buy a set because I don't understand wheels that expensive. I ended up with them through a bike purchase and intended on selling them but I made the mistake of riding them. I won't be selling! If you have the money to blow, you'll be happy with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
deadlegs said:
I have ended up with a set and love them. I have about 1500 miles on them and they seem solid to me, don't flex on the steep hills, and they just feel fast.

I would not go out and buy a set because I don't understand wheels that expensive. I ended up with them through a bike purchase and intended on selling them but I made the mistake of riding them. I won't be selling! If you have the money to blow, you'll be happy with them.
They do look great - really great and they are light but our French friends do know how to charge. I live in Paris now and have been eyeing them for a while through the local shops trying to find a better price - was keen to get some perspectives - appreciated both of your thoughts.

Did i read correctly that they are rim tape free?
Any thoughts for me being a heavier rider - 180lbs - 80kgs?
Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just bought a pair

My bike is being shipped to me and I have bought a pair. I have had a pair of the SL's for the last two years with no Problems. Never out of true and ride great. It came down to the ES vs. the Campy Euros. Since I prefer the Shimano vs the Campy ( although I do like the looks of campy better) the Euros would have been another 75.00 for them to work with Shimano. So I chose the ES. In addition, And this was a HUGE selling point to me, for an extra 8% of the MSRP (which I did not pay for the wheels i paid 950.00) you get a 2 year No questions asked warranty policy from Mavic(includes accidents). It is called the MP3 program. You can't find it on their website you have to use a search engine of Mavic MP3 to find it. Many dealers are also not aware of it. But it must be purchased at the same time you purchase the wheel. So there are probably some wheels that are less$$. and maybe some that ride better. But for me I liked the durability of never having to worry about my wheels.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
If you buy them, you'll mostly get:

- (from posters on this board) sarcastic comments about paying too much, caring only about looks, trying to impress friends, you should've gone hand-built, blah blah blah.

- (in real life) a fast-accelerating, great-rolling, quite-light, bombproof, clincher wheelset with enough pinache to compliment any high end road machine.

I have nearly 3K miles on mine - everything you could want in premium clinchers.

Your're right - like the SLs they don't need rim tape (no spoke holes).

At 180, you're a lightweight compared to what these wheels can handle - the word "Ksyrium" is almost synonymous with durable!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ksyriums ES for Sprinting???

BugMan, Hello, I´m a Racer (Sprinter) from Mty, Mexico, How are these wheels on sprinting, do they feel strong enough?

BugMan said:

- (from posters on this board) sarcastic comments about paying too much, caring only about looks, trying to impress friends, you should've gone hand-built, blah blah blah.

- (in real life) a fast-accelerating, great-rolling, quite-light, bombproof, clincher wheelset with enough pinache to compliment any high end road machine.

I have nearly 3K miles on mine - everything you could want in premium clinchers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BugMan said:

Your're right - like the SLs they don't need rim tape (no spoke holes).

At 180, you're a lightweight compared to what these wheels can handle - the word "Ksyrium" is almost synonymous with durable!
Thanks BugMan - at the end of the day, if bike is my vice ...... well lets say there are lots worse things. The wheels are for an f4:13 - I do like the Campy Eurus but given I have a set on another bike, I was looking for something distinctivly different.

In truth, most of my riding is with a mate or solo so the pose factor isn't an issue. Quite frankly, I don't speak enough French to be able to get some handmade here anyway!!!!!
Oh and thanks about the weight comment - I am actually 4kgs above that right now but sounds like that ain't an issue.
Cheers

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
salvadorvela said:
BugMan, Hello, I´m a Racer (Sprinter) from Mty, Mexico, How are these wheels on sprinting, do they feel strong enough?
I've been doing mostly base miles since I got them, so I really have no personal experience in dropping the hammer with them. That said, and considering the racing I have done with my SLs, I can't imagine the ES not being up to the task.

edit - I have been doing lots of climbing and have not noticed any flex at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks on the Ksyriums ES

Thanks for the info. BugMan, I can tell you´ve been riding for a While, I´ll probably get them for my New Look 585.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
salvadorvela said:
Thanks for the info. BugMan, I can tell you´ve been riding for a While, I´ll probably get them for my New Look 585.
It must be Karma - I got them when I built my LOOK 585.

You're gonna enjoy that ride! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts