Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a novice when it comes to changing cassettes.. but I noticed when I removed my cassette (Shimano) from my old wheel set (Xero) and wanted to put in on 2005 Mavic SSL.. the free wheel on the Mavic is too big for the Cassette to slide in... any help????!? The new wheels said it is set up for Shimano..

Thanks

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
talentous said:
I'm a novice when it comes to changing cassettes.. but I noticed when I removed my cassette (Shimano) from my old wheel set (Xero) and wanted to put in on 2005 Mavic SSL.. the free wheel on the Mavic is too big for the Cassette to slide in... any help????!? The new wheels said it is set up for Shimano..

Thanks
Assuming: You took a Shimy-9 cassette off of a Xero wheel and are trying to install it on a 2005 Mavic Ksyrium SSL and the hole in the cassette is too small to fit on the Mavic freehub body ('freewheel' is the old type of pre-cassette that screws on to the hub).

My first guess would be that it is a Campy freehub.

Does the new wheel have a 7800 (DA) hub (not a Ksyrium)? Then it could be for Shimy-10 only cassttes.

TF

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TurboTurtle said:
Assuming: You took a Shimy-9 cassette off of a Xero wheel and are trying to install it on a 2005 Mavic Ksyrium SSL and the hole in the cassette is too small to fit on the Mavic freehub body ('freewheel' is the old type of pre-cassette that screws on to the hub).

My first guess would be that it is a Campy freehub.

Does the new wheel have a 7800 (DA) hub (not a Ksyrium)? Then it could be for Shimy-10 only cassttes.

TF
It's actually a shimy 10 speed cassette... and trying to put onto a 2005 K SSL.....urrgh. I guess I have to go into the bike shop for this one...

Appreciate your help TT

·
Registered
499 Posts
Or post pics and part numbers. Between the handfull of wrenches on here im sure you could walk into a shop with the numbers you need.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
You need to install the mavic freehub spacer as well as the shimano 10spd spacer. Otherwise the freehub is too big. If you do not install the shimano 10 spd spacer, the rear der. will tick the spokes in the largest rear cog. Any bike shop that carries mavic should have the mavic spacer.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
talentous said:
It's actually a shimy 10 speed cassette... and trying to put onto a 2005 K SSL.....urrgh. I guess I have to go into the bike shop for this one...

Appreciate your help TT
DA-10 cassettes actually have spline holes that are bigger than a 9-speed and should fit on anything Shimano-8/9/10. The rest of the 10-speed are the same as the 9-speed as far a diameter. I bet it's a Campy hub.

I'm not aware that Mavic has made any DA-only wheels/hubs, but maybe I missed it. If this is the case then only DA-10 cassettes wil fit.

TF

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I believe you are missing the spacer that comes with Mavic wheels. Check to see if it is stuck to the other wheel or another cassette. Same problem I had with my Ksyriums....

The Flash

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
The Flash said:
I believe you are missing the spacer that comes with Mavic wheels. Check to see if it is stuck to the other wheel or another cassette. Same problem I had with my Ksyriums....

The Flash
It sounds like it won't fit on the freehub to me, not that it goes on too far. But if I'm wrong, there may be two spacers:

First, some Mavic hubs are made wide enough to take the Campy-compatible Mavic cassette. This means that they need a spacer (comes with the wheel/hub) for a Shimy-9 cassette.

Second, a Shimy-10 cassette is narrower than a Shimy-9, so another spacer comes with the 10-speed cassettes to fit and a Shimano 8/9/10 compatible hub.

TF

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
What TT said....

TurboTurtle said:
It sounds like it won't fit on the freehub to me, not that it goes on too far. But if I'm wrong, there may be two spacers:

First, some Mavic hubs are made wide enough to take the Campy-compatible Mavic cassette. This means that they need a spacer (comes with the wheel/hub) for a Shimy-9 cassette.

Second, a Shimy-10 cassette is narrower than a Shimy-9, so another spacer comes with the 10-speed cassettes to fit and a Shimano 8/9/10 compatible hub.

TF
Correctomundo!!!!

The Mavic spacer is kind of thick and silver while the 10spd spacer is narrower and usually black in color. I needed both to get it to clear correctly....

The Flash....

·
Registered
24 Posts
You Idoits, He is trying to install a Shimano 10 Cass on a Mavic free hub made shimano cass. What he is missing is the mavic 1.75mm spacer that goes on before a shimano 10sp spacer on certain cass. You do not need the shimano spacer if the cassette is the following:
13-25, 14-25, 15-25, 16-27

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
smsunman805 said:
You Idoits, He is trying to install a Shimano 10 Cass on a Mavic free hub made shimano cass. What he is missing is the mavic 1.75mm spacer that goes on before a shimano 10sp spacer on certain cass. You do not need the shimano spacer if the cassette is the following:
13-25, 14-25, 15-25, 16-27
You idiot - read the other posts.

1 - The Mavic spacer has been mentioned 3 times already.
2 - Not having the Mavic spacer will not result in the freehub being, "...too big for the Cassette to slide in..."

Also, the Shimano spacer is "needed" just as much on the Junior cassettes as it is on the rest. It's just that the chain may hit the stays with the larger smal cog so they say don't use it and leave it out of the box.

TF

·
Registered
24 Posts
sorry tubo I should have said you idoits with the exception of a few people. About the spacer read the shimano instructions, you can get the 10 speed cass instructions off the shimano web site

1 - 13 of 13 Posts