Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I have no experience with the Mavic. I do have 1000 miles on a set of Fulcrum Racing 5s.
They came with my new bike. I was worried about a low spoke count wheel because I weigh 250. So far I've had to turn 1 spoke nipple 1 full turn. I even give them a little bunny hop now and then. So far I'm very pleased with them.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
For sure the Fulcrums, although weighing something in the neighbourhood of 300g more per set than the Ksyriums, ought to be a less harsh ride and also ought to last longer for a heavier rider. Personally I swapped my Fulcrums (OK, so they were Fulcrum 7 and not Fulcrum 5, big whoopity doo) for my Ksyrium SLs since the weight is less.

·
il miglior fabbro
273 Posts
I have no experience with the Fulcrums, but my Ksyrium Elites have proved to be bomb proof in the six years or so that I've had them. They've logged a lot of bumpy miles.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I've got both....

Both are good wheels...

My Elite have over 10000km's no probs, the Fulcrums 2500km's no probs...

Elites Freehub is quieter...

Elites are lighter, but give a somewhat rougher ride...

Like Argentius said, pick the bike you like best. Both wheelsets are good...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've been riding a set of Elites for several years now with no issues at all. They are strong wheels with a great ability to spin up to speed quickly. If you are looking for another set of wheels along these same price points and weights/strength, might I consider you look at the new Easton EA70 wheelset. They are the old Easton Circuit, and are great wheels. I recently bought some, and I'm so happy I could pee on myself!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
bigbri said:
I have no experience with the Fulcrums, but my Ksyrium Elites have proved to be bomb proof in the six years or so that I've had them. They've logged a lot of bumpy miles.
+1

I have had my Ksyrium SSC SL's since 2001 - they continue to be true even after a lot of bumpy miles and crashes.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
For sure the Fulcrums, although weighing something in the neighbourhood of 300g more per set than the Ksyriums, ought to be a less harsh ride and also ought to last longer for a heavier rider. Personally I swapped my Fulcrums (OK, so they were Fulcrum 7 and not Fulcrum 5, big whoopity doo) for my Ksyrium SLs since the weight is less.

Weights are actually comparable (F5=1755g, Elites=1690g, but Mavic weights are generally optimistic). The SL's are lighter than Elites (but that ain't the OP's question).

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Oldteen said:
Weights are actually comparable (F5=1755g, Elites=1690g, but Mavic weights are generally optimistic). The SL's are lighter than Elites (but that ain't the OP's question).
Fulcrum weights seem to be rather optimistic as well. Yes, they state that the claimed weight is for the lightest configuration but my set weighed in at around 1830 grams (Shimano 8/9/10 speed compatible).

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The last 2 years, it seems like the Mavics have had some durability issue. Don't know if it's big riders oversstressing the rim/spokes or just poor quality, but I'd be hesitant toinvest in a set. Easton 90's have gotten some good reviews and the Fulcrums appear to be a good wheel as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.