Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a set of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels on my Bianchi 1885 w/ Campag Veloce.
I had the rear free hub replace because when I was going about 20mph the rear
cassette would start to whine like something was vibrating inside the free hub.
It would only whine when I was not pedaling.

The other day I was going down a 8% grade and when I hit 30mph the same thing happened with the new free hub.

I went back to the shop and they put some 15 weight oil on it.
(I'm going for a test ride in a few minutes)

Like I indicated the problem only occours when I don't pedal.

I have a set of Campagnolo Khamsin and they work fine.

Any ideas why such a thing would happen?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This Mavic freehub has a plastic spacer which apparently causes this noise. The spacer wears out eventually & requires replacement of the freehub. Not a great design IMHO.

I have a set of Equipes but have not had that "whine" problem (yet). Only have ~1100mi on the wheels & they have required re-trueing twice. I have no interest in buying another set of Mavics. There are better wheels for the price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mavic or what?

What types of wheels are you looking at? I get about the same or better roll with my Campagnolo Khamsin wheels. I'm looking at Campagnolo Neutrons which are quite expensive ($700)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Oldteen said:
This Mavic freehub has a plastic spacer which apparently causes this noise. The spacer wears out eventually & requires replacement of the freehub. Not a great design IMHO.

I have a set of Equipes but have not had that "whine" problem (yet). Only have ~1100mi on the wheels & they have required re-trueing twice. I have no interest in buying another set of Mavics. There are better wheels for the price.
What's better than a cheap pair of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's? They don't cost THAT much - think I paid $300 for both front & rear...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wipeout said:
What's better than a cheap pair of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe's? They don't cost THAT much - think I paid $300 for both front & rear...

This is true. I've got maybe 4000 - 5000 mile on my Equipes. (I switch wheels). But I've had them in the shop 5 times this summer. I need to learn how to work on wheels.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Better?

wipeout said:
Given the weight and overall quality of these wheels, you could get just about any "bike shop wheel" based on Shimano 105 or Campy Veloce and have a better wheel for the same price. MAVIC Ksyrium Equipe wheels are about $100 over priced for what you get

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
wipeout said:
Neuvations, for sure. I replaced those Equipes with R28aero's on my main bike. Far superior wheel for less $$, and Neuvation support is unsurpassed. Good old 32-spoke Ultegra/OpenPros are another great option for less $$. (BTW- $300 for current Equipes is a very good price- best on Qbike right now is $375.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R 28 SL5 Rear

Oldteen said:
Neuvations, for sure. I replaced those Equipes with R28aero's on my main bike. Far superior wheel for less $$, and Neuvation support is unsurpassed. Good old 32-spoke Ultegra/OpenPros are another great option for less $$. (BTW- $300 for current Equipes is a very good price- best on Qbike right now is $375.)

Right on! How about the R 28 SL5 Rear. How long have you had the Neuvations R28aero's. I'll use Campag hubs on the rear of course. I'm 6'1" 175 and I like hill work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.