Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
New to this forum, but been on MTBR a long time... I am just getting into road riding to help train for mtb, I have a brand new set of Open Pro CD rims that I was thinking of lacing to Dura Ace hubs and was wondering if these built up well would be better/lighter than Ksyrium SL's?
Pros and Cons of each would be great.:thumbsup:

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
sp3000 said:
Hi everybody,
New to this forum, but been on MTBR a long time... I am just getting into road riding to help train for mtb, I have a brand new set of Open Pro CD rims that I was thinking of lacing to Dura Ace hubs and was wondering if these built up well would be better/lighter than Ksyrium SL's?
Pros and Cons of each would be great.:thumbsup:
Hi sp. Welcome to this fine forum. I have the OP/DA wheels and with 32/32 DT Comp spokes they weigh 1762 grams.

The K SL are listed at 1485 grams but Mavic is well known for being a bit generous with its weights. Maybe someone will come along with their true weight, hopefully having weighed them themselves.

Many of us are not fans of Mavic wheels in particular and pre-built wheels in general as they tend to be heavy for their cost, hard to get parts for (spokes, rims) and those parts are an outrageous price compared to normal spokes and OP rims. Their hubs are aren't known for quality either. DA's are.

The Mavic wheels are low spoke wheels (compared to 32/32 OP/DA) and as those few spokes still have to do the same job as more spokes, go out of true much greater if you break a spoke.

You said you wanted the OP/DA as training wheels. I can't think of too many better combos.

Edit - if you are having to buy hubs, consider the White Industries H2 & H3 hubs ~ made in USA, cheaper and lighter than the DA plus they use sealed cartridge bearings, which are less maintenance that the loose balls of the DA. And that, for training wheels, isn't a bad idea. Both are great hubs.

http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/cassettehubs.html

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome Mike! Thank you for the welcome and the solid reply. I have had really good experience with XTR hubs and that is what swayed me to Dura Ace, I'm not scared of a bit of maintenance and have found you can get a really smooth roll out of the old cup and cone style. I would imagine it would be less maintenance than on the mtb anyway!

I'll have a look at the White Industries hubs.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Seeing as though your purpose is to train for another type of riding.......I'd probably save some money here and go with Ultegra hubs with Opens instead. The performace difference between those and DA (as far as I can detect) is 0. DA hubs are definitely better but not in a way that effects riding (again, from what I can tell riding both).

And if you're willing to lay out the cash and want DA hubs or something pre-made at the level of Ksyrium SL's maybe consider forking other another couple hundred for a set of WH-7850-C24-CL (these are DA hubs with a carbon and aluminum braking surface rim).

But anyway to address your question. The pro's and cons would depend how many spokes you use and the quality build you'd be comparing to the Ksyriums so it's tough to say there but one pro/con in comparing the two is repair. Pretty much any local bike shop could repair most common issues with the DA/Open but while I have not experienced it myself word on the street is that Mavic is pretty slow with repairs.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
sp3000 said:
Awesome Mike! Thank you for the welcome and the solid reply. I have had really good experience with XTR hubs and that is what swayed me to Dura Ace, I'm not scared of a bit of maintenance and have found you can get a really smooth roll out of the old cup and cone style. I would imagine it would be less maintenance than on the mtb anyway!
I'll have a look at the White Industries hubs.
Thanks again.
Ok, here's another snippet for you. The new DA - the 7900 - are a tool-less cone adjustment. Hmmm, maybe they need a couple of 5mm allens to unlock the adjusters. I don't remember. But the adjustment itself is no-tool. The previous model - 7850 - need cone wrenches.

I was just doing hub comparisons last week and the 7900 are one of the pricier hubs. They are the most expensive compared to WI, DT, and the new King R45 road hubs. They're also the heaviest but they will still be a great hub. I have the 7850 and love 'em.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hank Stamper said:
Seeing as though your purpose is to train for another type of riding.......I'd probably save some money here and go with Ultegra hubs with Opens instead. The performace difference between those and DA (as far as I can detect) is 0. DA hubs are definitely better but not in a way that effects riding (again, from what I can tell riding both).
This. My Ultegras roll like a greased watermelon downhill...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
+1 on the White Industries hubs.
I have two sets, one on a tandem and one on a road bike.
Super smooth, great design, quality and reasonable price.
I also have Dura Ace hubs and they get rougher over time due to bearing wear and they use an aluminum freehub which notches vs Ti for WI.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
I think Mike nailed it. Now, I have a couple pair of SL's and they've been resilient to the abuse I've heaped on them. It can be pricey to replace broken spokes one at a time ($5/spoke), and one broken spoke on the road is probably going to leave you walking. But the DA (or WI) hubs laced to OP hoops is about as bullet-proof as they come.

I trust my SL's. I trust my OP's more.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
jnbrown said:
I also have Dura Ace hubs...........and they use an aluminum freehub which notches vs Ti for WI.
That must be an older DA (a 7800?) as the newer ones ~ 7850 & 7900 ~ use a Ti cassette carrier.

·
Perpetual Three
677 Posts
I've broken a spoke on my Kzyseriums while out on a long ride. The wheel wobbled quite badly but I did make it home.

The good news is that you probably can't go wrong with either decision. The OP is clearly more sensible, and the Mavics might be categorized as the flashy/stylish choice.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
steve_e_f said:
The OP is clearly more sensible, and the Mavics might be categorized as the flashy/stylish choice.
As the flash & style can't be seen once the wheel is rolling the OP needs to decide if the wheels are for posin' or for ridin'. :rolleyes:

·
Perpetual Three
677 Posts
cfoster said:
Yeah, I had to finally start making the coffee shop stop part of my pre- ride ritual.
I actually do pre AND post ride coffee stops, sometimes doing a wheel change in between them so that I've got the Mavics on for the first coffee then the Zipps on for the post ride coffee - that way I don't risk crashing on the Zipps as much. You can never be too careful, unless of course you are running Open Pros in which case it is impossible to damage the wheels in a crash.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
steve_e_f said:
I actually do pre AND post ride coffee stops, sometimes doing a wheel change in between them so that I've got the Mavics on for the first coffee then the Zipps on for the post ride coffee - that way I don't risk crashing on the Zipps as much. You can never be too careful, unless of course you are running Open Pros in which case it is impossible to damage the wheels in a crash.
What, no Lightweights for the double espresso latte with chocolate flakes crowd? :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts