Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm picking up a new(er) bike and have been offered the choice of 1 of 2 sets of wheels. originally, the offer was for Ksyrium SSC wheels, but the seller is now offering a set of Open Pro's on dura ace hubs instead if i so choose...how much of a value difference is there on these 2 wheelsets? i'm thinking the Ksyriums are quite a bit nicer, but i need something less racey and more durable/reliable as i'll be doing a 1500km (roundtrip) tour on this bike soon. my original plan was to sell the krysiums, make some bucks back and get a nice set of trainers (like the open pros)...but the seller doesn't seem to want to knock down the price. should i still ask him to? i think he's just wanting to hang on to some nicer wheels and give me his trainers...

suggestions?

· Registered
193 Posts
I'm presently running '05 SSC SL's, which replaced hand-built Open Pro's on DuraAce hubs. The SSC's are a bit lighter, per my calibrated hand test, but ride quite differently.

On my Seven Alta, the Open Pro's felt very soft when I'd hammer on them, and felt a bit indirect at high speed. They did also seem to ride smoother. No huge difference climbing, but much more direct feeling on the SSC's on my frame. Hard to explain, but it felt like I was wasting energy on the Open Pro's when really cranking at speed. Also had to touch up the truing on the Open's every so often, and haven't had to touch the SSC's yet.

fwiw, I'd probably pay 3-4 hundred more for the SSC's over the Open Pro's, so you might aim your negotiations in that direction.

Good luck with the new ride,

Mark

· Registered
4,105 Posts
If the Ksyriums are in good shape they are easy to sell. If he won't come down substantially on the price, that would be the best bet.

It's funny how many people describe the Ksyrium SSC as being laterally stiff when it is in fact one of the flexier wheels you can get.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rruff said:
If the Ksyriums are in good shape they are easy to sell. If he won't come down substantially on the price, that would be the best bet.

It's funny how many people describe the Ksyrium SSC as being laterally stiff when it is in fact one of the flexier wheels you can get.
thanks for the reply. any idea what i might be able to get for them if in good shape? just trying to weigh my options. thanks again, in advance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.