Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
aka Mr. Briggles
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a new Ksyrium freehub body fit on an older Cosmic hub?

My dilemma:

I'm building a new road bike, and I have a nice set of older Cosmic Expert wheels.

However, the hub is 8/9-speed Campy, which I have re-spaced for 8-speed Shimano.

I would like to upgrade to 9-speed with the new bike, but I would rather not buy a new wheel if I can help it.

I have seen some newer Mavic Cosmic/Ksyrium freehub bodies floating around for relatively cheap, and I'm wondering if it would swap at all. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Carter

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Probably not, contact Mavic

bcart1991 said:
Would a new Ksyrium freehub body fit on an older Cosmic hub?

My dilemma:

I'm building a new road bike, and I have a nice set of older Cosmic Expert wheels.

However, the hub is 8/9-speed Campy, which I have re-spaced for 8-speed Shimano.

I would like to upgrade to 9-speed with the new bike, but I would rather not buy a new wheel if I can help it.

I have seen some newer Mavic Cosmic/Ksyrium freehub bodies floating around for relatively cheap, and I'm wondering if it would swap at all. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Carter
It is best to contact Mavic directly on this. The freehub bodies that are current are for the FTS-L style rear hub used on the Ksyrium Elite, SSC SL, and Cosmic Carbone. They are longer freehubs than the older ones in order to accommodate both Campy and Shimano freehub styles without changing the drive-side hub flange position. That is why when you use a Shimano cassette on the FTS-L hub there is a spacer that has to go on before the cassette. This spacer is effectively the difference between the Campy and Shimano designs.

Are you sure the wheel is setup for Campy 8/9? I ask because the current Mavic wheels are all spec'd compatible for Campy 9/10. I think the freehub body is longer for Campy 9/10 than Campy 8. There might be the possibility that the Shimano freehub body will fit, only if the Mavic version of Campy 8 is the same length as Campy 9/10. Only a Mavic guru will know for sure.

Finally, if you indeed can use a Campy 9spd cassette on your wheel you could simply run Shimano 9spd shifters and derailleurs with the Campy 9spd cassette and it will work just about perfectly.

·
aka Mr. Briggles
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response.

I looked on the Mavic site and there is no contact info whatsoever.

I am currently running a Veloce 8-speed cassette spaced with Wheelsmith spacers. I know that it is using a small spacer on the inside of the cassette.

I can at least give the Mix-and-match drivetrain a shot.

Carter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts