Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a set of 32h Open Pros for all of my cross needs, which include everything from road rides to fairly rough singletrack. I want to have a second set of wheels built up for offroad so that I don't have to keep switching tires. Any thoughts on which of the above three would make the best offroad rim? The CXP and MA3 are the same weight, but the MA3 is about half the price. Is the extra price of the CXP worth it?

·
Cyclocross is Seasonal?
711 Posts
CXP-33 all the way

I commute on my fixie with wheels built with CXP-33 rims. I've ridden these wheels everyday for two years (save the time I was off the bike with a broken foot), frequently riding down stairs, dropping off curbs, and eating potholes... the wheels are still true (I'm around 200lbs).

I'd like to think this is due to my wheel building skills, but mostly it's due to the rims.

The cxps use regular length valve stems and the aero shape doesn't collect mud as easily as box shaped rims.

My next pair of clincher cross rims will be CXP 33s. I love those rims!

(plus they look cool)

·
Registered
496 Posts
OP's

D_man said:
I'm currently running a set of 32h Open Pros for all of my cross needs, which include everything from road rides to fairly rough singletrack. I want to have a second set of wheels built up for offroad so that I don't have to keep switching tires. Any thoughts on which of the above three would make the best offroad rim? The CXP and MA3 are the same weight, but the MA3 is about half the price. Is the extra price of the CXP worth it?
Ive gone through pinchflat hell with the CXP's running 32c's. I also found they dont take a hit as well as a 32H 3 X OP. The OP's are pretty bullet proof and i havent had a problem with running large tires (35c kendas) and full size v-brakes on um either.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
or try velocity's

aerohead front, fusion rear. strong good vee, shed mud have ran wide tires on them. better yet get the aeroheat tubies!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I need new wheels for my CX. I believe I have 130mm rear spacing. WHat hub do y'all recommend? Can I do a mavic rim (32h max) and a decent hub for under $200 (front and rear)? If so, where?

Thanks for your help.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
SpecialTater said:
I need new wheels for my CX. I believe I have 130mm rear spacing. WHat hub do y'all recommend? Can I do a mavic rim (32h max) and a decent hub for under $200 (front and rear)? If so, where?

Thanks for your help.
Do it right and you can get an entire wheelset for under $200!

I second ATP's recommendation of the Velocity tubular rims... 'cause that's what I'm running! I've been mtn biking on my cross bike all winter. I keep feeling the rear rim bottoming out on the little baby head rocks we have around here... Not one pinch flat, whanged rim, etc.

Have I mentioned how much I like not having to worry about pinch-flatting?

Mike

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
hubs

just get some Ultegra or D/A hubs (find used on the web) or Campy. these hubs are affordable and easy to rebuild/repack etc... fancy hubs are nice but need more work to maintain those fancy bearings if you are mudding alot. you can usually find good tubie deals on the web.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another vote for Velocity's....

I've had Velocity Aeroheads on my Steelman Eurocross for about 3 years with absolutely ZERO issues. I commute on 'em, hop curbs, go offroading. I weigh 200lbs. I'm using 700x32c Ritchey Speedmax. They are the same weight as Open Pros (perhaps lighter), a touch wider and can take a beating, and cost less. They now have a OCR design rear which should make it stronger still.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Velocity

some people liked the deep vee, I thought them too narrow for bigger cx tires. I'm 230 and have 1 bike with aeroheads (no trouble) the other aerohead or O/P front Fusion rear. these are my clincher wheels, have tubie set ups as well. I find for the bigger guy the fusion as a good rear choice. a tad heavier and a tad burlier than the aerohead without the narrow tire bed of the deep vee.

·
Registered
777 Posts
D_man said:
I'd use the MA3s. Box section, double eyelets, silver aluminum... what's not to like?

--Shannon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts