Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I am in the proccess of getting a new bike and I am thinking about getting a pair of Mavic Open Pro with Chris King hubs. I am currently riding Kysriums right now but I am curious about other wheel sets. Can anyone offer any advice or feedback on performance or should I go ceramic or non ceramic if I go with the Mavics.? Thanks in advance

Oh Ya I am about 6'3" 265lbs.

Thanks

·
Registered
498 Posts
Interesting, I've got a set of CK hubs and Open Pro rims ready to build when I get a chance, and am now looking/thinking about some Mavic Ksyrium ES's for special ocasions.

Do you find the Ksyriums stay true etc? I'm not a feather weight either.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Probably not ceramic

Blah! Blah! Blah! said:
Can anyone offer any advice or feedback on performance or should I go ceramic or non ceramic if I go with the Mavics?
It would depend on which Ksyrium model you have to discuss performance. There is quite a range across the Ksyrium brand. That said, the wheels you are considering are the equal of the top of the Ksyium line.

Ceramic rims are for improved braking in wet weather. Otherwise, they don't offer much, they cost a lot, and they require special brake pads.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just got my king wheel set

Blah! Blah! Blah! said:
Hello All
I am in the proccess of getting a new bike and I am thinking about getting a pair of Mavic Open Pro with Chris King hubs. I am currently riding Kysriums right now but I am curious about other wheel sets. Can anyone offer any advice or feedback on performance or should I go ceramic or non ceramic if I go with the Mavics.? Thanks in advance

Oh Ya I am about 6'3" 265lbs.

Thanks
I just got my king o.p. wheel set in the mail from colorado cyclist today, pewter hubs, black rims, silver 14/15 spokes and silver alloy nipples. I went with black rims cause they look nice, ceramic would last longer, but they are more expensive and a little bit heaver, not much though. Also I think you need special brake pads for ceramic rims that don't work with regular rims. Since this is a special wheelset for ridding the my cross/road bike on the road and I will switch between wheel sets frequently, for on road off road rides I went with the regular side walls. I havn't even had a chance to put tires and a cassette on it yet. I hear that the king hubs are supposed to be the best but they can also take a little while for the bearings to break in. they are very pretty though. Much lighter then my deep road v and rx100 wheel set. I'm 6ft about 170 #, so these should be plenty strong for me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
pretty light

StillKeen said:
Do you know the weights of your CK / OP wheels? I havent got spokes yet, so don't know what they're going to weigh.

thanks
I bought the wheels through colorado cyclist, but I used the excel sports site to get a good guess for the wheel build weight. If you use excel sports custom wheel builder feature and go through all the steps, picking hub, rims etc, my king wheels came in at 1701 for the pair w/o skewers. Open pro rims, peweter king hubs, regular 14/15 dt double butted spokes in silver and alloy silver nipples. Revolution spokes would save a bit more but I was advised against it cause it is not as durable for people over #150. Also they would only do it on front wheel and non drive side rear if at all. That said it I took the cassette and tires off of my velocity, rx100 (old sub 105 hubs )double butted spokes with brass nipple wheelset and it is quite a bit lighter, by using the weight weinnies site and a small bit of guessing I figured it was about a pound lighter for the pair.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses

Since I have had good luck with my Kysrium SL's I have decided to stick with them. I have had them for about a year now and have not had to tru them. To most people that may seem like a no brainer but with my size and lack of talent it makes a big difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have CK 32 spoke with Mavic CXP-33 with DT Revolution 14/17 spokes all around, aluminum nips except the drive side which are DT 14/15 with brass nips and they come in at 1622 wiht rim tape. They are very stiff. 32 spokes wheels are more aero than the SL Kysriums. You are paying for the cool factor.

You can use regualr brake pads with the ceramic open pros. They only stop better in the rain and are heaver. I would not recommend them for the money.

I weight 215 pounds and DT revolutions are fine.. But at 265 pounds I would stick with the 14/15 guage. If you want a stiffer wheel than I would go with a stiffer rim, say Mavic CXP-33's. The CK are the best and why waste your money on the Mavics.

The CK are cheaper to get parts and are easier to rebuild.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Save some money and just use quality Shimano or Campy hubs. Either will last through multiple "re-rim rebuilds". The CD coating looks nicer, but won't make the rims last longer. Black oxide coated rims always look nicer than silver rims, and only cost a little more.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I built a set with King hubs, Revolution spokes, black aluminum nipples, Open Pro rims. Like the wheels except that there's no way to run them on a Campy drive train, not enough spoke - derailleur clearance.

Al

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Al1943 said:
I built a set with King hubs, Revolution spokes, black aluminum nipples, Open Pro rims. Like the wheels except that there's no way to run them on a Campy drive train, not enough spoke - derailleur clearance.

Al
Just use a Shimano 10 speed cassette. There are a lot of people using Chris King hubs with Campy bikes.

-Eric

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
single1x1 said:
Revolution spokes would save a bit more but I was advised against it cause it is not as durable for people over #150.
Pure myth. I use Revolutions as have others that weigh significantly more than 150. Spokes come nowhere near their yield strength. Spokes break from poor builds resulting in fatigue breaks.

-Eric

·
Registered
178 Posts
ergott said:
Pure myth. I use Revolutions as have others that weigh significantly more than 150. Spokes come nowhere near their yield strength. Spokes break from poor builds resulting in fatigue breaks.

-Eric
I weigh 220 lbs and Eric built me a set of DT Swiss R1.1s laced to Am. Classic hubs with Revolutions everywhere except the drive side rear where he used Competitions. These puppies are rock solid and happily handle my weight! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts