Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm planning to get a wheelset with mavic open pro rims build with tune hubs mig 70 and mag 170 with dt swiss revs spokes.. 32 spokes for both...

any comments?

not sure wads the weight will be like.. anyone got these wheelset? thx...

with this wheels,hopefully i'll be more motivated and trim down to 176 pounds...

·
Registered
96 Posts
You get down to 176 and you won't need 32 spoke wheels! Go with the kinlin XR-270 or 300 with the Tune hubs and CX-Rays in a 24/28 set up, more aero and lightweight to boot.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
back in the saddle - dt revs have the same stiffness as cx-rays and aerolites since they are the same spoke...

i kinda agree with rot weiss essen, tune hubs are nice, and kinda lost on generic OP rims... not particularly light... looking at around 1460g maybe...

the build rot weiss offers would be more aero, bit more different, and down the track you can build em into lighter carbon rims if desired... the nio27 would come in around 1390g?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
wankski said:
back in the saddle - dt revs have the same stiffness as cx-rays and aerolites since they are the same spoke...

i kinda agree with rot weiss essen, tune hubs are nice, and kinda lost on generic OP rims... not particularly light... looking at around 1460g maybe...

the build rot weiss offers would be more aero, bit more different, and down the track you can build em into lighter carbon rims if desired... the nio27 would come in around 1390g?
You obviously haven't seen DT Revs next to CX-Rays or Aerolites. They may be similar on paper, but they aren't the same spoke. Especially when you consider two are aero and the Revs aren't...
Having ridden both, the Aerolites and CX-Rays build into stiffer wheels than Revs, period.

·
Registered
58 Posts
a few thoughts..

I would put a 14/15 spoke on the drive side, 3x, and I would build everything else (nondrive, and front) in 2x. It should be fine. The OP rims will be fine, they are light and strong. At your weight, going low spoke and lighter/thinner in the rims begins to flirt with race-only sorts of stuff.
If people are that hung up on weight, they should run tubular tires, IMHO.

j3fri said:
i'm planning to get a wheelset with mavic open pro rims build with tune hubs mig 70 and mag 170 with dt swiss revs spokes.. 32 spokes for both...

any comments?

with this wheels,hopefully i'll be more motivated and trim down to 176 pounds...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
You obviously haven't seen DT Revs next to CX-Rays or Aerolites. They may be similar on paper, but they aren't the same spoke. Especially when you consider two are aero and the Revs aren't...
Having ridden both, the Aerolites and CX-Rays build into stiffer wheels than Revs, period.
its the same spoke, just flattened for 'aero'... same lateral stiffness in tests... sorry.

·
Registered
604 Posts
j3fri said:

any comments?

j3fri, I don't understand the theme of this wheelset...

The Tune hubs are great but they're weight-weenie item and are more finiky than, say, DT Swiss 240s hubs.

Open Pro rims aren't that light and aren't that stiff. Great rim for a 'classic' pair of wheels but they don't exactly match the Tune hubs in terms of feature set.

I don't think Revo spokes will be stiff enough for this rear wheel at your weight.

Personally I think your suggested build is stuck in no-mans land :confused: If you want the 'classic' wheelset then DuraAce or DT Swiss hubs and Open Pro rims with Competition spokes on the rear wheel will build up well. If lighter weight / more modern look is your priority then the Tune hubs laced to KinLin XR-270's would make more sense.

Tristan :thumbsup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx for all the reply,i was asking this because i got a deal on 2nd hand wheel...

i got the wheel in the end for us$470 which i thought was pretty good deal? considering if i build a new op/dura ace hubs/dt comp,it will cost around same price in my country but at heavier weight of 1.8kg or so?

the tune wheels which i got,was pretty new condition since the old owner prefer to use carbon tubular for his daily ride..

its build cross laced front and rear,dt revs...... dt comp on drive side...

total weight 1430 grams with rim tape..

yeah i get wad u all means that this wheel is neither here nor there...

i used to use a 30m nioboum rims at 1.55 kg with 20/24 sapim laser/race spokes and its realyl a lot easier to accelerate than this op/tune wheels but way too flexy for my weight...

after one long ride on my 'new' tune/open pro wheels.... this wheel really harder and slower to accelerate and respond to attack,not suitable for sprinting at all.. maybe i'm just not used to it yet... but it rolls very very well once it get up to speed,much better than my previous wheel.. and its hell lots stiffer than my old wheel..

my previous wheel is Fusion FR- 301

http://www.fusioncycle.com/wheels.html

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
ahh, that explains it ! that's fair enough.... tune hubs are pretty expensive as you know, so its not a bad price.... 1430g is quite light also...

i think the main reason you may be unhappy is the rim... as i said not the lightest...

for comparison, i've built AC350 rims with laser/revo, ac front hub, and HOPE rear for 1380g total... and the HOPE hub is not light!! ~270g.... the tune hub is around 185g... so you get the idea.... main advantage is the rims @ 370g.... I also don't like the low profile of the OP compared to the ac rim, 18.5mm vs 24mm IIRC....

down the road you might like to consider nio22 rims which are quite similar, 385g - 22mm... different ERD cf OP, so that means new spokes all round unfortunately.... or perhaps you want to experiment with tubular tyres? ambrosio crono f20 may fit the bill @ 370g...

anyway, happy riding!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Open Pro rims with Shimano Ultegra hubs and DT DB 14-15-14 spokes - built 3X and 32 hole are extremely popular nowadays. And quite inexpensive to buy pre-built. People weighing in at 250+ swear by them according to the myriad reviews I've found.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I, for one, did - and that's why I'm throwing my voice in favor of Open Pro rims and Ultegra hubs. They are commonly available, easy to maintain, and just about 'bombproof.'

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry at your weight I don't see why you have to be riding only 32 spoke wheels? There are people that weigh 250lb that ride on 24 front 28 rear with the right rims/hubs/spokes! For an extra 100 dollars I would much rather be riding on the XR-300/DT Swiss 240/Sapim CX-Ray brand new custom build up in a 24/28. That is the route I went and I came from the OP 32 spoke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.