Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine had these custom built about a year ago. He is letting me try them out and may be selling them. They seem to be in excellent condition. My friend is a big, strong rider and used these as everyday wheels. I've ridden OPs for the past 10 years or so and know about their reliability. Not so sure about the AC hubs though. They're the 58 front hubs, 28 hole and the 205 rear hubs, 32 hole. I figure their weight is somewhere around 1600 grams. Would appreciated any feedback on this wheelset. BTW, friend went to a lighter wheelset.

·
Registered
475 Posts
check hub reviews

hjbiker43 said:
A friend of mine had these custom built about a year ago. He is letting me try them out and may be selling them. They seem to be in excellent condition. My friend is a big, strong rider and used these as everyday wheels. I've ridden OPs for the past 10 years or so and know about their reliability. Not so sure about the AC hubs though. They're the 58 front hubs, 28 hole and the 205 rear hubs, 32 hole. I figure their weight is somewhere around 1600 grams. Would appreciated any feedback on this wheelset. BTW, friend went to a lighter wheelset.
I'd say check the hub reviews on this site.
That said american classic hubs are very light and many of the reviews are not especially good mostly concerning bearing quality. I don't have any personal experience most of my hubs have been cheaper heavy shimano unsealed hubs, roll pretty good but need occasional cleaning regreasing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rruff said:
What are the spokes & nipples, how much do you weigh, and what do you intend to use them for?

Spokes I believe are straight gauge, probably 14g. Not sure about the nipples. I weigh 175 lbs and will be using the wheels for everyday use. Roads where I live are not the smoothest. Probably should stay with my good ole' trusty OP's with Ultegra hubs, 32/32!
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
AC hubs might be worth the trouble for "racing only", but for "every day" I'd rather have something reliable.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Should be all right. Keep an eye on the bearings tho.

I've had several pairs of Am. Classic hubs. The micro fronts ate the bearings, but the rears were fine.

HTH,

M

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another Durable Wheel Option...

Check out Velocity Aeroheads. Many on these forums have used them and think they are as good or better then open pros. I noticed Velocity now has a new hubset out that less than 290g/set! An Ultegra hubset weighs 487g, Dura Ace 393g. You can pick up a set of Aeroheads with Sapim spokes and the new hubs for $388. A pretty good deal on a very durable set. I heard superspokes had a deal on them, or you coul dget Sapim CXRays on them for a bit more. Hard to beat that combo. Just some info to mull over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for your feedback. Looks like the only thing this wheelset has going for it are the Open Pro rims. Think I'll pass on this them and probably go with either Easton Circuits or Mavic Ksyrium Elites. Peace of mind!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts