Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the market for buying some solid everyday type wheels to replace my old beat-up rolf comps. In specific, I'd like to buy a set of handbuilt 32 hole Mavic Opens laced to Ultegra hubs. With that said, where could I get a good deal online. Your suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought mine a couple of weeks ago from Colorado Cyclist.
They were very helpfull on the phone.
You can go to the website and configure them how you want (If you know exactly what you want) or phone them and they will walk you through the process and explain the benefits or disadvantages of the lacing, spoke types etc.
I added rim strips tubes and tires and they mounted them on the rims and didn't charge any extra shipping for them. I don't know if they had the "Lowest" price, but it was darned close to the lowest that I found once you accounted for shipping and tax, plus I felt better buying from a sponser of this site with a good reputation for sales and service.

·
Registered
704 Posts
El Caballito said:
Im in the market for buying some solid everyday type wheels to replace my old beat-up rolf comps. In specific, I'd like to buy a set of handbuilt 32 hole Mavic Opens laced to Ultegra hubs. With that said, where could I get a good deal online. Your suggestions are appreciated.
I'd be very careful of 'bargains', especially if you have no recourse to the seller - ThiefBay is a prime example.

I bought two sets of Ultegra/Open Pros some three or so years back when Performance Bikes had them on sale - and Performance IS my LBS, with two stores in my region and both are easy to drive to and park near - when you live just outside of DC, those assets are valuable.

The score on my bargains so far is that I had one rear hub rebuilt into a new rim by Colorado, and I now know far more about truing wheels than I ever did - and it's all thanks to those 'bargains'. I also bought a truing stand - not a cheap bit of kit.

That Colorado built rear hasn't shifted since, BTW. However, ordered over a holiday period, it arrived with a noticeable wobble to it. CC paid the shipping both ways to correct it, fixed it fast, and it's been true ever since, but it was a little annoying at the time. I'd be happy to buy a pair of wheels from them again, on the whole.

Hope that helps

Dereck

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Excel

El Caballito said:
The standards of reference for large scale are Colorado Cyclist and Excel Sports. Smaller builders get good reports as well (e.g. Odds & Endos, Joe Young, et. al.)

·
Registered
251 Posts
CO Cyclist

I'm very satisfied with my build from CC. I have two seasons on them and about 5,000 miles (at least) and they're still as true as the day they arrived. I'm 225 so I had them build with 36 rear/32 front.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who replied. I going to give CC a call in the morning, but Im also going to check out Oddsandendos. My budget for wheels is around $300 max. PS. how evident is the famous "clicking" sound on the Mavics, which many people seem to complain about?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got some from Ribble in the UK. Well built, just a bit of touch up needed. Their prices for shipping wheelsets is the lowest I've seen, and the combination of wheels plus postage is lower than wheels only in Australia, and I suspect the US.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
El Caballito said:
how evident is the famous "clicking" sound on the Mavics, which many people seem to complain about?
If they click, you'll hear it. I've heard that only older OP's were prone to clicking, and the problem is correctable. I "correct" mine annually!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts