Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you tried these new wheels from Mavic, the R-sys. The write up by several magazine provides enticing feedback. I am contemplating buying a set. They definitely look nice! Price is comparable to other lite weight high performace wheel sets.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I'm too lazy to look it up (I mean... I'm busy and my time is very valuable), but if you do a search here you will find examples of them exploding for no good reason... unless you think breaking a spoke is a good reason for a wheel to break *all* of it's spokes and collapse. This may or may not bother you though. They are also very bad for aerodynamics, but if you don't race that isn't a big deal either. Considering that you can get custom built wheels made of the highest quality components that weigh less and cost less, *looks* seems to be their main selling point.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
wow, ^^^ i heard some bad crap about them, but a few of those consumer reviews are scarey !!

damn.

also, i will say this... if u like bling, and don't wanna go custom, and clearly u don't care about aero - there are better choices than the R-sys.... DT 1450s come to mind.... very hot wheel... very good quality...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
If you search this forum you'll find some stuff on it. Most not good, about spokes breaking and stuff. I tried them once and they were very smooth and absorbed the vibrations. I really liked them for that one time but for that kind of money I expect them to hold up very well and my understanding is they don''t.

·
yup
2,739 Posts
wankski said:
wow, ^^^ i heard some bad crap about them, but a few of those consumer reviews are scarey !!

damn.

also, i will say this... if u like bling, and don't wanna go custom, and clearly u don't care about aero - there are better choices than the R-sys.... DT 1450s come to mind.... very hot wheel... very good quality...
Personally I'm a big fan of the 1450's. Light, purty, and durable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I did read the reviews prior to submitting this post, but often times I think reviews don't show a true picture of what really to expect. Majority that may post may be pro or con. You never know. I had performed a search in this forum, but unfortunately it didn't turn out any really links.
Given some of the comments here in this post, I am skeptic of purchasing them. I will continue to read on and hopefully find out some more information.
I had consider the aerodynamic, or rather lack there of with this wheelset. I was unaware of the energy robbing properties demonstrated on that chart. I am not sure that I completely understand the whole phenomenom, but I think I get the basics.
Thank you for all your responses.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
tferris said:
The only thing I know fer shure is that they score the lowest on this wheel aerodynamic test. Note also the spoke thing. If it matters to you.
I didn't realize CX-Rays did so well.

The graph is great, but who rides 50kph? I think it would be more realistic at 40kph. They just over estimate the expected speed and scale the graph such that the data is skewed to make the differences look bigger than they are.

·
yup
2,739 Posts
android said:
I didn't realize CX-Rays did so well.

The graph is great, but who rides 50kph? I think it would be more realistic at 40kph. They just over estimate the expected speed and scale the graph such that the data is skewed to make the differences look bigger than they are.

Yeah, and I think its a "apples and oranges" to compare the R-SYS to the Zipp 404 (for instance)- I mean the R-SYS isn't designed to be a time trial or tri wheel. But I think it has some value nonetheless.
I think if memory serves me right they do note the increase in differences due to speed but I'm too lazy to look it up.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
teamvwracing said:
Thanks for all the replies. I did read the reviews prior to submitting this post, but often times I think reviews don't show a true picture of what really to expect. Majority that may post may be pro or con. You never know. I had performed a search in this forum, but unfortunately it didn't turn out any really links.
Very strange. I did a search for R-Sys and got zero matches... including this thread. I would have swore I created a post called "Another exploding R-Sys" but it doesn't show up. Deleted... and if so why?

Anyway, it was about an R-Sys wheel that broke a spoke... and then proceeded to break all it's spokes until the rim was completely free of the hub. There was video footage... it happened at the end of a race in Texas I think.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
android said:
Since pros and such ride at 50kph a lot, and it is better to do tests at higher speeds so that quantities are large enough to measure... they run at 50kph. Anyway, the R-Sys has twice the drag of the 808 at any speed... the proportions will be the same. BTW I think this is for only one wheel (the front).

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
The R-sys is the worst performing wheel in the Roues aerodynamics test. How does this affect the normal rider at 20mph average, I'm not sure. In terms of acceleration, it is the best performing alumninum wheel in the test by the same group. The reason they state is the R-sys is under low tension by design and the rim is designed with less weight:
https://accel23.mettre-put-idata.over-blog.com/0/02/72/10/Tests-Acheteur/base-de-donnees/inertia_english_.jpg

And they have a very, very detailed review here:
https://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-6833227.html

I've been using one for three months and am about to set it up for it's true destiny (i think), a Cyclocross wheel with tubeless cross tires.

fc

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
rruff said:
Very strange. I did a search for R-Sys and got zero matches... including this thread. I would have swore I created a post called "Another exploding R-Sys" but it doesn't show up. Deleted... and if so why?

Anyway, it was about an R-Sys wheel that broke a spoke... and then proceeded to break all it's spokes until the rim was completely free of the hub. There was video footage... it happened at the end of a race in Texas I think.
search is smeg. Try "R-sys site:roadbikereview.com" (no quotes) in a Google box. 150 hits (obviously some dupes).

Not sure if it's the one you wanted, but the flickr bit you posted is the last post to this thread:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1365085&page=2

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow! that link with the pic of the exploded front rim is scary. The roads that I ride are not the smoothest of roads and often I come across some railroad tracks that joggle my whole bike. I wouldn't want that catastrophic failure and end up on the pavement. Thanks for the insight.
I am glad some of you also tried a search without results. I didn't want to seem like a liar.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
francois said:
In terms of acceleration, it is the best performing alumninum wheel in the test by the same group.
Only because they don't test many aluminum-rimmed wheels, and they are all heavier. They don't test custom built wheels at all... that would beat the R-Sys easily.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.