Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
yup
2,739 Posts
There have been a couple discussions on R-SYS from a few weeks ago you might try to search for, exactly on the pros/cons. In fact there was one thread I recall with some pretty spectacular wheel failure pics in it. I would find them for you but I am WAY to lazy to be that helpful.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Karl Menzies has shred his front wheel after hitting a plastic post - no sprint-win for the Aussie this time!

yep, i wouldnt touch those wheels for any money.
Alum rim, big fat carbon spokes... no big deal
Even thou the wheelset is fairly light overall for a clincher the alum rim doesnt lessen the spin weight on the wheel so it aint much faster than any other alum wheel out there. The risk is the carbon spokes may be more suseptable to breakage.
Id rather spend money on the Ksyriums ES's or SL's

Also there was one guy who had broke a carbon spoke and required the spoke kit from Mavic. Upon trying to fix the spoke he damaged the red retention ring within the hub.
https://www.wheelgirl.com/ (scroll half way down)

And if you search around theres some talk about nick damage to the spokes that can cause total wheel collapse

So Mavic makes a spoke kit for this wheel? That should tell you something just with that.
I think they will be selling more spoke kits than wheelsets

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
teffisk said:
I think if you hit a post with any wheel it would break. I know a couple of guys with those wheels and they love them. They are supposed to be good wheels. Don't not buy them because of one picture.
most of the spokes break because you hit a plastic post??? what kind of wheels are you riding? cardboard rims with pasta spokes?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Depends

I think it may depend on who you are and what you are using them for. The 150 lb. organizer of my team (he no longer races) was riding the wheels during our winter training sessions and complained that the wheels were too stiff for training. Again, he no longer races but for racing, they might be a good option. If you are heavier, even as training wheels they might be a good option if you find other wheels soft. The characteristcs of the wheelset are the same but the individual pros/cons of any wheelset will depend on your body type, riding style and expected use of the wheels.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
teffisk said:
I think if you hit a post with any wheel it would break. I know a couple of guys with those wheels and they love them. They are supposed to be good wheels. Don't not buy them because of one picture.
A little searching will find several more. I love the one where the guy was sprinting at the end of a race and his front wheel completely disintegrated before he hit the ground.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Stepping back

roadieKill said:
And, since those wheels offer no performance advantage over a well-built set based on Velocity Aeroheads or MAVIC OpenPro with a Campy Chorus or Dura Ace hub, you can save a whole bunch of $$ and have a wheel that can be much more easily and economically repaired. Just saying.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I personally have seen 3 pairs fail catastrophically with major injuries to their riders, granted all three were in races but then again that is what those are built for. It seems once one spoke is compromised the entire wheel fails, it is impressive to say the least. I was caught up in a crash on my Ksyrium Sl's a few weeks ago and bent a spoke to the wheel was rubbing on the brakes pretty bad but the wheel was still ride able and was able to chase back on the group before the final sprint which the wheel still held up for the sprint. Now that is a durable wheel. I will be surprised if Mavic does not recall these wheels and abandon the idea....

·
your god hates me
1,603 Posts
roadieKill said:
While I admit I find the aesthetics of the red-spoked ES/SL extremely captivating, I've had nothing but frustrating experiences with Mavic after riding Ksyrium Elite's for the past two years: Constantly require truing, spokes twisting, hubs developing all sorts of noises, had to have the back wheel completely rebuilt after only 9,000 miles. I dunno, I'm over sexy looking faux-aero low spoke count wheels that require proprietary tools. Screw aesthetics, I want reliability & zero maintenance! I think my next wheelset will be visually indistinguishable from whatever I was riding 30 years ago.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
They seem to be going for $1400 at retail, $850 on ebay (and there's a lot of them on ebay, which says something all by itself.)

They're worth $1000 only if you can find a sucker to sell them to for $1100.

The only good thing I can say about them is that they make the rest of the Ksyrium line seem rational in comparison.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Bob Ross said:
While I admit I find the aesthetics of the red-spoked ES/SL extremely captivating, I've had nothing but frustrating experiences with Mavic after riding Ksyrium Elite's for the past two years: Constantly require truing, spokes twisting, hubs developing all sorts of noises, had to have the back wheel completely rebuilt after only 9,000 miles. I dunno, I'm over sexy looking faux-aero low spoke count wheels that require proprietary tools. Screw aesthetics, I want reliability & zero maintenance! I think my next wheelset will be visually indistinguishable from whatever I was riding 30 years ago.
campagnolo = bombproof

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.