Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,354 Posts
You can, but it takes forever. Get a good local shop with a good wheel builder to order the replacement parts; they can rebuild it and have you back on the road in less than a week. The rim isn't too expensive. If you have the SSC SLs the aluminum spokes are expensive.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Ksyrium rims and spokes

Argentius said:
Hey, that makes me think:

If you trashed an Elite wheel, could you rebuilt it with an SSC SL rim?
Hard to say. While the rim seems to have the same diameter, the Elite and SSC SL use different diameter spokes, and therefore different nipples. The rims have have different size holes for the different nipples.

Argentius said:
Alternately, could you build the SSC SL rim / hub with the Elite's steel, aero spokes?
Almost certainly not. The two different types of spokes have very different size and shaped heads, so the spoke anchors in the hub flanges of the hubs are different accordingly. The larger aluminum spokes from the SL wheel wouldn't even fit in the Elite hubs, and the smaller diameter heads of the steel spokes would probably just slip right out the SL hub flange anchors.

But such is the nature of proprietary boutique wheel designs. Exclusivity of design leads non-standard components.

· Registered
63 Posts
I had my rear SSC rim and a couple of spokes replaced under MP3 warranty a few weeks ago. It was about 2.5 weeks between the time my shop sent the wheel and they received it... A lot quicker than I thought... that being said I ended up ordering a pair of speedcific laced to aeroheads from Oddsandendos and am perfectly glad to leave the ssc's at home

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.