Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,887 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
All road bike levers work fine with road bike brakes.
Mavic SSC brakes don't quick release. You need campy levers, really skinny tires, or lots of barrel adjuster turning. They would suck with shimaNo levers.
 

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
Joined
·
523 Posts
bigbill said:
Mavic SSC brakes don't quick release. You need campy levers, really skinny tires, or lots of barrel adjuster turning. They would suck with shimaNo levers.
Depends on how "tightly" you run your brakes. Me, I prefer lots and lots of modulation, rather than just a shot of uncontrollable grabbiness. I run my (Record) brakes "loose" (I don't really consider them loose, of course, but can't think of a better word) enough that I can easily take a 23c Pro Race out without undoing the lever; I'll bet, in fact, that I could take a 25c Pro Race in and out. I understand why most people might not want their brakes as loose as mine, but most people still run their brakes way, way too close to the rim. Quick action ≠ power, modulation, or anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,638 Posts
+1

Applesauce said:
Depends on how "tightly" you run your brakes. Me, I prefer lots and lots of modulation, rather than just a shot of uncontrollable grabbiness. I run my (Record) brakes "loose" (I don't really consider them loose, of course, but can't think of a better word) enough that I can easily take a 23c Pro Race out without undoing the lever; I'll bet, in fact, that I could take a 25c Pro Race in and out. I understand why most people might not want their brakes as loose as mine, but most people still run their brakes way, way too close to the rim. Quick action ≠ power, modulation, or anything else.
What he said!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
bigbill said:
Mavic SSC brakes don't quick release. You need campy levers, really skinny tires, or lots of barrel adjuster turning. They would suck with shimaNo levers.
I ran them with D/A for 3 years...zero issues. I run my brakes a bit loose, so they aren't just on/off levers. I never had to make a single adjustement to them to get wheels off the bike.

They are probably the best brakes out there. Too bad they are getting hard to find!
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,887 Posts
I guess I am just one of those odd people who don't want to grab a handful of brake lever to slow down. I don't understand the loose brake thing, why would you want to pull on the lever more than you have to? If I'm riding behind someone in a paceline and have to slow slightly, I can do it with one finger. I have the SSC brakes because I have campy levers. They are the best brakes I have ever used.
 

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
Joined
·
523 Posts
bigbill said:
I guess I am just one of those odd people who don't want to grab a handful of brake lever to slow down. I don't understand the loose brake thing, why would you want to pull on the lever more than you have to?
The short answer is what I wrote above: MODULATION. The long answer is a) you shouldn't be braking much, if at all, in packs. And b) where I ride most we have many, many looong descents, and I descend with the lever pulled half-way or more to the bar, thus allowing me to slow in much shorter order than I would be able to i) if the lever initiated braking so far from the bar that I couldn't comfortably or safely descend with a finger hanging out there and thus ii) if I had to adjust my hand to move my finger from the bar to the lever and begin pulling it.

bigbill said:
If I'm riding behind someone in a paceline and have to slow slightly, I can do it with one finger.
That says something much different from what you wrote above. That is modulation, coupled with the idea that, with proper set up, it can be achieved with just one finger (which is a leverage thing, in a way, and another part of the reason to run your brakes "loose").

Also, and this is probably the reason most pros run their brakes like this: it makes for much faster wheel changes not to have to fiddle with the lever or brake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,638 Posts
Speed and distance

bigbill said:
I guess I am just one of those odd people who don't want to grab a handful of brake lever to slow down. I don't understand the loose brake thing, why would you want to pull on the lever more than you have to? If I'm riding behind someone in a paceline and have to slow slightly, I can do it with one finger. I have the SSC brakes because I have campy levers. They are the best brakes I have ever used.
As Applesauce is saying, it takes no more time and virtually no effort to pull the lever a little bit closer to the bar, but when it is there, you are much more able to modulate the brakes. This is because your hand is in a more powerful position, and you're not having to operate the brakes just with the fingertips. You can just as easily do the one finger braking with the lever closer to the bar, but you have more control. You can't be claiming that it takes more effort to operate brakes just because the lever is closer to the bar?

So, to summarize, having the brake pads set farther from the rim offers better modulation of the braking force, easier removal of the wheel from the bike, requires no more effort, and takes no more time. Simple as that.
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,887 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
So, to summarize, having the brake pads set farther from the rim offers better modulation of the braking force, easier removal of the wheel from the bike, requires no more effort, and takes no more time. Simple as that.
Or you could use Mavic SSC brakes with levers that release which was the point of the OP. Simple as that.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top