Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been riding these ssc wheels for 6-7 years and at least 12-15K miles. (I ride other bikes, so the mileage doesn't pile up too much on these). I've only had to true the rear two or three times- they have been great. Tho I've been wondering if these wheels have a finite general life- should I be hangin' 'em up soon to avoid problems?

I weigh 165 lbs and while riding am not extremely hard on the equipment, tho I do a lot of hills and accelerations on them, also I tend to bomb the descents- but haven't raced on them since a year after getting them.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe I'm just looking for justification to try some new wheels ;-)

Thanks,

RW

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zac said:
Routine maintenance and they will outlive you.

zac
Great, How am I supposed to stimulate the economy? ;-)

What I need to hear is something like "OH SHlT you're still riding those things?! You better get off or they will explode! ;-)

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I'm riding some wheels that were originally built for a buddy of mine that raced for Subaru-Montgomery. That's what? 20-ish years now? Still pretty much an everyday wheelset.

HTH

M

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had close to 20k on my 2003 SSC SL's. Replaced bearing at about 18k or so (real easy to do and cheap). Sold them and got a pair of OP/DA. When I sold them I feel that they still had alot of life left.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts