Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Look 381 off of Ebay. It came with a Mavic Reflex/DA front wheel and a Mavic CXP 21/105 wheel in back. I also have a set of Mavic OP/DA wheels. Which wheels should I be using for fast rides and which ones for distance rides?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
its all the same pretty much - the question is do you want a tubular front wheel?

if the front is in FANTASTIC condition, i'd probably build a matching rear if i were a tubular fan. but i'm not. I'd just sell off the wheels the look came with - u might get decent coin for the front. The rear is a pretty low quality/cheapo wheel. I'm guessing he shunted his rear and replaced it with whatever he or she could find.

OP/DA is great for anything, and for longer rides, its easy to repair a flat vs tubular. Good thing about OP rims is that mounting tires depending on brand can often be done by hand - more than can be said with many factory rims which drive me mad - and i've worked as a wrench!

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
Reflex and tubular

wankski said:
its all the same pretty much - the question is do you want a tubular front wheel?
There was a time (1998 and before) when the Reflex rim was available as a clincher. The OP replaced the Reflex clincher, and the Reflex tubular continued as is. So it is possible that his Reflex front wheel is a clicher. Not likely, but possible. I agree that clinchers are most likely a better choice.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I'm riding a set of Reflex Ceramic wheels that have been going round and round for nigh on 20 years. The lineage goes O4CD -> Reflex -> Open Pro

So, to the OP: yer riding two sets of basically the same wheels. The CXP21 is gonna be slightly heavier than the Reflex, but if yer not racin, it don't particularly matter.

On a side note: one of my favorite sets of wheels I've ridden is a pair of Ritchey Pro wheels I got a few years back. Aero enough to go fast and light enough to not be too noticeable.

HTH

M

1 - 6 of 6 Posts