Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you gizmo freaks out there use this revolutionary new trick high tech gadget? My friend at the LBS is offering me a deal I can't (and I won't) refuse on another of Mavic's ahead of it's time technological marvels. (how's that for superlatives) Basically want to know what some users think of the skewer/sensor concept. Flawless? Is it worth the price of admission?? Junk??? Can't miss prospect???? Don't forget I'm getting an unbelievable deal (practically free). So feel free to bash or rave about this futuristic computerized wizardry.
 

·
lyleseven
Joined
·
490 Posts
paa said:
Any of you gizmo freaks out there use this revolutionary new trick high tech gadget? My friend at the LBS is offering me a deal I can't (and I won't) refuse on another of Mavic's ahead of it's time technological marvels. (how's that for superlatives) Basically want to know what some users think of the skewer/sensor concept. Flawless? Is it worth the price of admission?? Junk??? Can't miss prospect???? Don't forget I'm getting an unbelievable deal (practically free). So feel free to bash or rave about this futuristic computerized wizardry.
Just got mine today! Seems to work great. Waiting for cadence sensor. Love the ability to put it on stem instead of bars. I like the skewer sensor idea. Also, easy to read. Will give update in a week or so with some miles on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
A friend loves his

paa said:
Any of you gizmo freaks out there use this revolutionary new trick high tech gadget? My friend at the LBS is offering me a deal I can't (and I won't) refuse on another of Mavic's ahead of it's time technological marvels. (how's that for superlatives) Basically want to know what some users think of the skewer/sensor concept. Flawless? Is it worth the price of admission?? Junk??? Can't miss prospect???? Don't forget I'm getting an unbelievable deal (practically free). So feel free to bash or rave about this futuristic computerized wizardry.
I rode a century today with a guy who's had one for a little while now. He was raving about how great it is. It sure looks like a good idea. My only criticism, and a very minor one at that, is that the head unit does look kind of bulky. I ride with an Avocet 45, and it looked like it's 4 times bigger than mine.
 

·
lyleseven
Joined
·
490 Posts
DMoore said:
I rode a century today with a guy who's had one for a little while now. He was raving about how great it is. It sure looks like a good idea. My only criticism, and a very minor one at that, is that the head unit does look kind of bulky. I ride with an Avocet 45, and it looked like it's 4 times bigger than mine.
It is bigger but it mounts on the stem and not on the handlebars which is a real nice feature. i have had mine on for two days and it is great. Only complaint is the receiver for the cadence (I got this option added) is rather large on the seat tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weakness? mounting

lyleseven said:
It is bigger but it mounts on the stem and not on the handlebars which is a real nice feature. i have had mine on for two days and it is great. Only complaint is the receiver for the cadence (I got this option added) is rather large on the seat tube.
I picked it up today and while the skewer and magnet is pretty self explanatory...the computer unit's mounting base is not so clear cut. I diligently followed the instructions...but it seems as if Mavic hasn't quite figured out how to securely mount on a stem. They provide the double backed tape and shim but are seemingly too large that you have to make slight modifications...the booklet in no way mentions this, so I initially thought I screwed up after winging it. And I thought zip-ties would be an afterthought with the invention of the sensor in skewer concept. NEVERTHELESS, took the rig out for a spin afterwards and caught the eyes most roadies. I like the basic functions and it's completely wireless! Contemplated cadence but I rarely use it on my other bike's flight deck. Very unique piece of equipment indeed!---paa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Flight Deck vs Mavic WinTech

I was ready to buy the wintech and went to the LBS. I'm new to the area and it was my first time in the shop so I was talking to one of the guys in there and he told me that I should be looking at the Shimano flight deck instead since I run ultegra/dura ace on my C'dale R2000. Opinions? The shop carries both, so I don't think that he was just trying to steer me clear of something he doesn't have. Any opinions? Is it that much better to be able to see what gear you're pushing in addition to cadence and speed? I definitely like the wireless and skewer sensor features of the Mavic.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions???
 

·
lyleseven
Joined
·
490 Posts
newridr said:
I was ready to buy the wintech and went to the LBS. I'm new to the area and it was my first time in the shop so I was talking to one of the guys in there and he told me that I should be looking at the Shimano flight deck instead since I run ultegra/dura ace on my C'dale R2000. Opinions? The shop carries both, so I don't think that he was just trying to steer me clear of something he doesn't have. Any opinions? Is it that much better to be able to see what gear you're pushing in addition to cadence and speed? I definitely like the wireless and skewer sensor features of the Mavic.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions???
I have never used the flightdeck, but some friends have complained about the accuracy of the gear selector and other little quirks. But, I have no firsthand knowledge. For the most part, if I know my cadence, I really don't care which gear I am in unless my heart rate monitor tells me to shift up or down. I just don't know how useful this feature is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lyleseven said:
I have never used the flightdeck, but some friends have complained about the accuracy of the gear selector and other little quirks. But, I have no firsthand knowledge. For the most part, if I know my cadence, I really don't care which gear I am in unless my heart rate monitor tells me to shift up or down. I just don't know how useful this feature is.
I have both computers and both are pretty snazzy pieces of equipment. I have the wireless flightdeck...problem is, you can't transfer them to another set of shifters. Once it's on, those are the only shifters the gear indicators will work with. Shimano stays to true to their unrebuildable philosophy. I've gone through 3 sets of DA shifters in 3 years, so I haven't had the indicator for awhile now. So I just stuck on the gear shift indicator on the front gear cable.

As far as the win-tech, like the flightdeck, I liked it right off the bat. Another caveat I noticed was that it interfered with my Polar HRM. My HR was jumping off the charts and so I quickly turned it off. Did you have any interference problems with yours? On the other hand, the Polar tends to sap the life out the flightdeck sensors twice as fast. I've already gone through 4 batteries in 3 years. I guess if you like the latest and greatest, go for Mavic's latest offering.---paa
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top