Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input on either of these wheelsets? Trying to pick between the two. Looking for an aero wheelset.

Rider
6'02" 215- 220 lbs

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheels

I have never done a road race but would like to try no crits. I do a few tris a year

·
Registered
429 Posts
Check the weight limits of these wheels verrrry carefully... If I were your size I would not ride on anything other than 32+ spoke open pros.

If you want the bling factor that's cool, but I doubt you're going to see or feel a difference in how fast you go.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
Those wheels even though they are nice would not be ideal. If you are rough on your equipment they will not last. What you should do is lace some Edge 2.68s into a hand build. The 2.68s are significantly stronger than the already tough 1.68. They are also deeper than both of the sets your looking at. If you were to lace those hoops 20/24 with Alchemy hubs those wheels would be bomb proof. The Alchemy hubs have the widest flanges of any hubs on the market which gives them a very wide bracing angle. This alone increases the wheel stiffness dramatically. The very oversized bearings in these hubs also have a static load capacity higher than any other road hub. You could race these wheels in cross and they would still last for years

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
Thats funny because i was on a group ride with a guy today who was on some Carbone SLRs and he cracked the rim hitting a pothole on the ride. He did not crater into it and he weighs 160lbs. Even I would have expected those wheels to hold up to a hit like that. So unless the roads are perfect where you live I would push for a stronger wheel. Cracking rims sucks and Mavic commits highway robbery on crash replacements.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Zen Cyclery said:
Thats funny because i was on a group ride with a guy today who was on some Carbone SLRs and he cracked the rim hitting a pothole on the ride. He did not crater into it and he weighs 160lbs. Even I would have expected those wheels to hold up to a hit like that. So unless the roads are perfect where you live I would push for a stronger wheel. Cracking rims sucks and Mavic commits highway robbery on crash replacements.
I don't doubt what you are saying, but I think that is a pretty rare occurrence. And for the record, I've seen reports of Edge rims coming apart too (the real Edge rims, not the Token like knock-offs). I'm sure it is rare for them too, just sayin'.
The Mavic Carbone is essentially a Reflex/Open Pro rim built with heavy blade spokes. The fairing is not load bearing. So pretty similar to a standard road wheel in terms of load bearing, no? They've always been a go to race wheel for rough conditions and heavy riders. Not many wheels have stood the test of time (without major redesign) like Carbones.
Plus, the OP can get a new set of carbones for under 900 if he shops around. An Edge wheelset like you are suggesting will likely be at least twice that much.

If money is truly no object, then I'd probably recommend the same wheels you do, as I'm sure they're just as good, and maybe a bit more 'bling' than the Carbones. But the carbones will do the job.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Carbone SL SSCs (steel spokes) and have hit deep potholes, sharp train track edges, rocks on group rides... rims are fine and still true.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
gibson00 said:
Disagree.
I think the Cosmic Carbones would be perfect for him. And they are cheaper than the other suggestions.
+1. The Edge suggestion is just too pricey. The Carbone SL SSC and the SLR is a battle tested essentially no weight limit wheel. I don't doubt riders have damaged them, and yes Mavic's MP3 program isn't too good when needed, but that being said, reports of destroyed Carbones are few and far between.

An alternative is the Carbone SL or a new prior year Carbone SL SSC. You can easily find these wheels for way less than a $1000.

zac

1 - 11 of 11 Posts