Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.. I have a question regarding max heart rate. I have been training based on a max heart rate determined via one of the many calculation formulas and that number seemed to be pretty accurate. Recently, I've managed to push myself to heart rate numbers beyond that estimated number during extremely intense training rides or race efforts. Should i adjust my max heart rate number now to the new numbers I have seen?

·
Registered
829 Posts
The charts are a guideline. I am 49 and I max out at around 162, my friend Jon is 42 and holds 170+ for a while and peaks at 190

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Yes, you should adjust your training based on observed not calculated. The calculated is an based on an average, and by definition most people are not average, they are either higher or lower.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
^^^ correct. And it's extremely difficult to hit the max rate your heart is capable of. It's not just highest you've happen to hit. It takes me a long hard effort (maybe 30 minutes at FTP) followed by a series of extremely hard efforts to ratchet up to my max. I very rarely hit it, even doing very strenuous hill repeats where I might max out at ~95% of it.

·
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time
8 Posts
The charts are a guideline. I am 49 and I max out at around 162, my friend Jon is 42 and holds 170+ for a while and peaks at 190
Yeah, measured always trumps calculated. I'm 64 and I can get it up (and keep it up) to 165 for a long time (even if I really don't want it to be that high), but haven't been able to get it higher than 175 -- twenty years ago (can it really be that long?) my MaxHR was 225. Now I watch those ED ads with renewed self-respect.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Shouldn't your training be based on LT? If you're using heart rate that would be your LTHR.

See here: Joe Friel - Determining your LTHR
I agree with the statement above, its spot on for me. Honestly I do not know what my max heart rate is as I crash after reaching my LTHR.. Sure we can push thru for a couple of seconds, maybe a minute or two, but in my experience not significantly higher or longer.. Just curious, How are you setting you max heart rate?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
hey guys.. I have a question regarding max heart rate. I have been training based on a max heart rate determined via one of the many calculation formulas and that number seemed to be pretty accurate. Recently, I've managed to push myself to heart rate numbers beyond that estimated number during extremely intense training rides or race efforts. Should i adjust my max heart rate number now to the new numbers I have seen?
Just so you know, a study of 43 different formulae for maximum heart rate concluded that "No acceptable formula currently existed" (Journal of Exercise Physiology, 2002;5 (2): 1-10). The formula that fit age better than others is: HRmax = 205.8 – (0.685 x age). It has a standard deviation that is 6.4 beats per minute, which is very large. That means that 50 % of people will have a max heart within a 12.8 bpm range around the predicted max HR. 50% of people will be farther away than that. With many exercise routines based on target HR calculated from max HR, it is clear that formulas are useless for estimating max HR. There is another argument that for several reasons, max HR is generally not a good basis for calculating target exercise HRs.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I personally do not use max HR, I prefer to use LTHR, it's a better gauge for pacing etc.

If you find that MaxHR and the associated formula you are using works for you, I see no reason why you should not change it. I mean, what's the worst thing that will happen? You won't be able to hit your zones because everything got moved up?

If that above happens, change it back! Testing is training & training is testing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts