Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you perform a maximal heart rate test at end of base/pre season, another at peak, and another after the season ends, what kind of percentage differences are we likely to see from each one?

say its 200bpm at the start of pre-season, will it drop or increase during the season as fitness improves, or drop as training and racing takes its toll on your body.

I use to train on the basis that it pretty much stayed constant from pre-season to peak nearing end of season...is that the case though?

Main question is does it get higher from pre season to peak?

cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Generally it's constant across a season. If you're testing for it? There are a lot of environmental variables. If you are and it's rising... perhaps you are getting better at "pushing" yourself as the season goes on?

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jibboo, I also saw on another post I searched in relation to this, that once you get to your max hr, in testing, that it doesnt change from year to year (you cant train it higher) you can just stop the decline as you get older. No its not rising by the way, I was just at black out point on an incremental test when I got to 200 and well rested, but it was before I started the race season in Feb some years ago, and was a bit worried I 'set my zones too low' as a result..

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Also, you cannot stop it from declining with age - only slow the decline. - TF

·
Registered
896 Posts
i generally agree that you can train your max HR up, but I also believe that unless you have a certain amount of fitness, you can't achieve your max HR. the bigger challenge of course is to increase your v2max power, and make your LT and LTP as high a % of your V2max as possible. 85%+ is doable for many people

·
Registered
291 Posts
My HR is always higher before I come into fitness. If I take a week or more off of the bike, I'm 10-20 bpm higher on my first couple of rides (over the same route).

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
not sure why max HR could mean anything. what are you guys using it for? while i've had my HRM hit 200+ years ago, i couldn't tell you the last time it was out of the 180s and i'm faster now than when i could get it to hit 200bpm.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bauerb said:
i generally agree that you can train your max HR up, but I also believe that unless you have a certain amount of fitness, you can't achieve your max HR.
And do you think that base conditioning plus a bit of pre competition hard rides would be enough to max out then? - Id say yes.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tomk96 said:
not sure why max HR could mean anything. what are you guys using it for? while i've had my HRM hit 200+ years ago, i couldn't tell you the last time it was out of the 180s and i'm faster now than when i could get it to hit 200bpm.
you use the max to define your zones which when hr was the latest thing Pre-power measurement for the masses (5 years ago+).

something like this:

As % of MHR:

Recovery 60-65%
Endurance 65-70%
Aerobic Endurance 70-80%
Tempo 80-85%
LT 86%+

its rough guide though, I found out my threshold was 91% after doing sea level 40kTT and Alpine Mountain TT's and adjusted the zones accordingly. This was all Pre-power measurement (as I went on to next) and now its full circle...nothing, not even speed just RPE and VAM! :yesnod:

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
No max

muscleendurance said:
you use the max to define your zones which when hr was the latest thing Pre-power measurement for the masses (5 years ago+).
You'd be much better off to base your training on your maximum sustainable HR; what you can hold for 20 minutes plus. True max HR is fairly difficult to determine outside of a qualified lab, whereas anyone can get their sustainable number.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
You'd be much better off to base your training on your maximum sustainable HR; what you can hold for 20 minutes plus.
this is how i always did it, so was confused about the whole max hr thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts