Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I can get away with an 8 speed cassette with 30 teeth on it with my short cage Shimano 105 rear der.

The front is 39/47... that's OK- it's that 30 is well over the max spec. for max teeth. I'm obviously not going to cross between 47 to 30T!

Yeah, it will PROBABLY work... has anyone ACTUALLY done it?

One experience is worth 50 opinions...

Thanks

'meat

·
Springscylist
18 Posts
39/48 x 11/34

I currently run this set up 39/48 x 11/34 with a 105 short arm derailluer, and think I squeeze another tooth or two in there. I don't mind crosschaining to any gear combination either. One point of caution: make sure you have enough chain to accommodate the big front /big rear combination, accidently shifting to this combination can cause catostrophic damage to you and your bike if you don't have enough chain. If you ever exceed your derailleur capacity it is best to lose the use of the small front small rear combination. Of Course this won't happen with the setup you mentioned.

·
Registered
689 Posts
i'm running a 38x46 up front w/ an 11x32 cassette and 105 rear derailleur and everything works fine except for the 46x32. If I lengthen the chain to accomodate this gear combo, there's too much slack in the chain when I go to the 11x38. Not a big deal though...the "big-big" combo is a gear I don't ever use. bottom line, it's do-able with a 105 short cage, and you'll have access to the full low-end of of the gear spectrum, and (at worst) most of the high end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts