Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, this is a nice road racing tire and reasonably priced. I was searching for a Bontrager Race X Lite that came with my Lemond and most dealers don’t carry them. Even the swanky Trek dealers!

So I went to where I should have all along. Pedal Shop, Ashburn VA. Mike hooked me up with these Maxxis Courchevel tires. Not only are they comparable to the Bontragers they are better and cheaper. They weigh 20 grams less and the dome is tighter with higher PSI (140) for less rolling resistance. Switching to these actually make for a better ride. I got the orange stripe. Looks pretty sweet and performs well.

So if you are looking for new tires and live in the Northern Va area, check out Pedal Shop. www.pedalshop.com
703-724-0188
20630 Ashburn Rd
Ashburn VA 20147

· Banned
2,767 Posts
PedlnMoFo said:
Folks, this is a nice road racing tire and reasonably priced. I was searching for a Bontrager Race X Lite that came with my Lemond and most dealers don’t carry them. Even the swanky Trek dealers!

So I went to where I should have all along. Pedal Shop, Ashburn VA. Mike hooked me up with these Maxxis Courchevel tires. Not only are they comparable to the Bontragers they are better and cheaper. They weigh 20 grams less and the dome is tighter with higher PSI (140) for less rolling resistance. Switching to these actually make for a better ride. I got the orange stripe. Looks pretty sweet and performs well.

So if you are looking for new tires and live in the Northern Va area, check out Pedal Shop. www.pedalshop.com
703-724-0188
20630 Ashburn Rd
Ashburn VA 20147
Well, decreases in rolling resistance do not vary linearly with air pressure. At high pressures, rolling resistance actually increases, if the road surface isn't uber smooth.

Still, post comments on how the Courchevels perform, how puncture resistant they are, and what kind of mileage you get out of 'em.

· Registered
36 Posts
i'm racing on maxxis hors categorie right now, and satisfied with them.

so i'm sprinting out of the last corner on a crit, about 5 laps to go, right in the lead of the pack and there's a gunshot: tire blowout for sure. i do a couple more laps, then see my teammate who i thought might have been the victim, so i'm not worried. we end up going 1-2 in the final sprint. he rides maxxis courchevals
after the race..."hey brian check out my tire"
3 inches of the kevlar bead is missing it's casing, just bare fibers hanging out everywhere, the cause of the blowout.
i didn't mount the tire and i don't know if it was abraded or just defective or what, but it was a pretty scary thing to see.

· Registered
42 Posts
Maxxis Courchevel

I have used Michelin Pro Race tires for a while and although I loved the road feel, the suppleness, and the cornering, I got a lot of flat tires on less than perfect roads. I also noticed the tires would cut very easily. I would find cuts in the tire after a few hundred miles of riding. I switched to Michelin Carbons and the number of flat tires went to virtually zero. I noticed that they were also very resistant to cuts, and they seemed to roll very nicely. I really liked the tire, but they just didn't seem to have the same road feel and cornering that I enjoyed with the Pro Race tires.

The courchevel seems to be the happy medium. Cornering and road feel similar to the Pro Race. No cuts so far. The previous post about the blowout concerns me a little, but I will follow up on their durability with another post when I put some real miles on these.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.