Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very limited budget for a bike at the moment. I know the initial response is going to tell me to spend more (and so is the response at every LBS I've been to), but for this summer I can only budget $300 on the bike (I've already reserved some for accessories), then I'll upgrade based on how much I ride. So what's my best option?

Online pricing is fine as well, I just want to get the best deal possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and I meant to ask, are there any good places I should be looking for used bikes? So many people say you can get a great deal on used bikes, but I'm never able to find a good source. Is it about getting lucky on ebay? Because from what I've seen, there aren't mass savings buying used through ebay.

·
Registered
656 Posts
the best bike you can find for $300 is a road bike on craigslist that fits.

The savings come buying used. Bike depreciate very quickly, much like cars.

But if it's your first bike and you're looking to spend 300, ebay isnt the place to do it. You can get much better deals on CL, plus you don't have to pay shipping. And MAKE SURE you go and try it out. Sizing is the most important thing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Best bike you can buy for $300? Definitely a used one. If you're skittish about Ebay, try Craig's List. Look for postings in your area and check out any prospective bike with a friend who's bike-savvy.

Other choices would be asking at your LBS or members of a local bike club if anyone is interested in selling their used bike. It's amazing what you might find for $300. An older Cannondale CAAD3 or 4 with Shimano 105 or Tiagra components would be a great ride. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Try Craigslist or your local bike shops. A couple years ago I got a near-mint 1980s Panasonic road bike for $210. Compared to modern bikes, the thing is like a boat anchor, but it's also nearly indestructible. When you hit the local bike shops, make sure you're clear with them that you're looking for a used bike around $300. They might have one in the back (repair that was never claimed) or know someone with an extra bike. If you go in looking for a new bike for $300, they'll just chuckle at you.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have had great luck with both Craigslist and E-Bay. Craigslist is very hit and miss as far as size goes.

Be sure the bike is in good operating shape. With $300 to spend you can blow your budget quick if you have to buy tires, new cables & etc. I would recommend the book "Zinn's Art of Road Bike Maintenance". You will want to learn to wrench yourself and save the cost at a bike shop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm definately a fan of Craigslist. I got a 2005 Raleigh Supercourse in new condition for $400.00 (the person had it listed at $650.00 and they went for $1100 or so new) and I just bought my wife a 1994 Specialized Allez Sport (rx100 groupo) for $175.00 with shot tires but everything else is pretty close to like new condition-the damned thing shifts smoother than my supercourse with 105FD/ultegaRD. Just remember that you can offer less than what they're asking! You'll need to because as you've probably seen from reading other threads in here, cycling is a black hole for money even aside from the actual bicycle cost if you'll be doing any distance at all. (15miles +)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I've actually stretched my limit to $400 on the bike, and have been keeping a close eye on craigslist, but so far no luck. My area doesn't have many road bikers, so it may be awhile before I catch something my size that's a good deal. I've been looking at ebay too, but it seems like every good deal I find comes with a $100-120 shipping price tag, which seems a little silly.

I've found a few nice Trek 1000s, but even the 2001s I've seen are nearing the $500 mark; seems a bit steep for a bike I can get new for around $700.

Anyway, guess I'll keep an eye out; just getting a little ancy, there's only so many days of summer where I live.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.