Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
ab aeterno
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe that Contador actually lost. Great race to watch though, really edge of the seat.

Does this mean that Astana are an overrated team though? Are they not going to dominant Le Tour and Giro like they're supposed to or is it too early to tell?

And nice job to Chavanel for getting on the podium. I love to watch that guy ride.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
TheDon said:
I can't believe that Contador actually lost. Great race to watch though, really edge of the seat.

Does this mean that Astana are an overrated team though? Are they not going to dominant Le Tour and Giro like they're supposed to or is it too early to tell?

And nice job to Chavanel for getting on the podium. I love to watch that guy ride.
Keep in mind that this is Paris-Nice in March and not the TdF in July. Righ now Astana, like every other team are spreading their riders around a bit.

Furthermore I hope you're right that they are beatable and come July, I hope they will be pushed a bit by Saxo-Bank, Caisse d'Epargne and Rabobank. Hopefully Cadel Evans will also be in top form.

The most boring races are when you see one team placing 3 riders in the top 5 like Astana has the potential to do this year.

Besides I hope Astana collapses totally
1) I don't like Lance
2) I don't like Johann
3) For reasons that should be discussed in the doping forum

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
In my view, they were missing some power that would help Contador. Yes, I am going on record as saying Astana needs Levi, and maybe Lance also. Being as good as contador is, is not enough enough in a team sport. You can't do it alone. The last two stages prove that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Their deficit appears to be more in smarts than in strength. Stupid of Contador not to eat -- and where was the dumb cluck talkin' in his ear who forgot to remind him?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
astana will be firing on all cyclinders come may/june/july, etc. even when you're the best, you can't win 'em all.
that said, caisse looks perty strong this spring. MSR, LBL, Flanders will be very exciting. I'm so psyched the season has started in earnest!!
can't wait till giro/tour also. then the vuelta/worlds, lobardia.
should be a great season.
lets hope for no "busts" this summer...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
From what I've read it sounds like Contador lost chances to eat because of the unusually high pace early in the race and he felt good so the hunger knock came as a surprise. Oh well even the best guys in the world need a hard reminder sometimes.

I read on CN that this is the first stage race that he's lost since last spring!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
a good lesson

as that is how these bonks usually occur
you feel great and don't eat despite advice/ knowledge, etc....
better to happen on a warm up race than the big dance

lesson learned

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I think..

he's gonna get the shaft in July.. You can't send two super star teams to two grand tours.. I'm sure those guys will be tired after the Giro and then try to turn around and do another one one month later.. I think that's asking a bit.. I say one team will win the Giro and another one will win the Tour.. which team, who knows.. I just don't think one team can will all the grand tours unless you only have a team of tour riders.. My bet is Lance will get the A team for the Giro...

·
Registered
671 Posts
forgetting to eat? sounds like a lame excuse for he blew it. i think contador is super cocky and really overrated. i call he blows the tour like did paris-nice. hes a prick

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
There was no way he was going to make up the time he lost in Stage 7 today. It was 99% in the bag for Sanchez before the stage started.

Nice to see Chavanel hang on to a podium spot. Points jersey, too.

I have to say I thought Alberto was pretty ungrateful last year regarding Levi's second in the Vuelta. He seemed to make some snipe-y comments.

One race could be one race. Or it could show a ***** in the armor and that Contador needs Levi or someone like him to win the big ones.

·
Registered
458 Posts
They'llcome back around, but they've been exposed as a team that may not have the depth to defend for a long period of time. I think come tour time you'll see Saxo and 2 or 3 other teams use the same attacking style that seems to really disrupt Astana. Eventually it'll come down to the 3 headed snake of Contador, Levi and Lance because the others will be too tired to defend/mark attacks. No matter what they say, that's a lot of ego to sacrifice podium chances for one of the others. I'm curious to see what happens with Kloden though, if he stays consistent will he get podium fever?

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Interesting comments from Kloden re: the tour from VeloNews:
http://www.velonews.com/article/89331/

Klöden, meanwhile, brushed off questions about the Tour de France and the potential battle between the team’s stars for leadership honors come July.

“The Tour is a long way from now. I have a very hard stage tomorrow, that’s what I am going to focus on,” he said, before adding. “We could talk one hour about the Tour, but I have a chance to win Tirreno again. Of course, I was second twice at the Tour. For sure, it’s a dream to be one step higher on the podium. When you have good preparation and maybe Lance isn’t strong enough, I don’t know. We wait.”

Nary a mention of Contador.

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
teffisk said:
forgetting to eat? sounds like a lame excuse for he blew it. i think contador is super cocky and really overrated. i call he blows the tour like did paris-nice. hes a prick
TDF, Giro, Vuelta in two years? - I'd love to be an overrated prick like him.
The way he raced today showed real class, both as a person and as a sportsman.

BTW Caisse d'Epargne are also a formidable outfit - with or without Valverde.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
never underestimate the power of the 'bonk'
few can get away without ever getting a solid reminder of that

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
As much as I would love to discount Astana's chances down the road, they are packed with talent...so they bonked on Paris-Nice, I think it would be foolish to assume that they would let the Giro or The Tour go the same way.
Astana will be ready for the big ones. I'm looking forward to this season - the Drama from Astana is not over by a longshot. Several teams are now tasting blood inthe water and where they might have conceeded something to Astana's packed hand and aimed lower...somehow I don't think Astana will have as easy a run this year as many of us thought.
Saxo Bank will not be the only challenger - Quickstep and others will push Astana to the wall in an effort to break them.
This season is gonna be loads of fun!

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
teffisk said:

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
TheDon said:

Whatever dude. I can't believe you posted this. how bout that?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
One race doesn't mean anything. Sure, Alberto Contador usually goes into Paris-Nice with the intention to win, albeit, not making it the big focus of his early season goals. Some other riders use this as a big warm up and well, if they feel good, go for it.

He bonked. Astana didn't send all the big guns. Other teams attacked. Alberto was foolish enough not to eat and hence, the "He's still got stuff to learn" comment from Lance. That's all it means.

Put Kloden, Levi, Popo and Lance on the same team with Alberto and it'd be one heck of a different race, especially if they have a pre-designated leader.

Riders are still riding into shape. It's still very early in the season. Don't read too much into it. It's just one race, early into the season.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
atpjunkie said:
as that is how these bonks usually occur
you feel great and don't eat despite advice/ knowledge, etc....
better to happen on a warm up race than the big dance

lesson learned
Yeap. And hence, the "He's got a lot to learn" comment from Lance on Twitter. ;)

As good as you feel, always stock up on the carbs/gels/energy etc coz you never know how frantic the pace will be. Given Alberto is an aggressive rider, that was pretty foolish. Sure the pace was fast, but he should have found a way to get food nonetheless. Oh well, I'm sure he learned alright!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts