Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

It's come to that point where I'm in the lucky position of buying the bike I've always wanted - and hopefully it will last as long as my trusted Tom Board SLX from 1989 (he's a builder in West London)!

I'm looking at Colnago C50 (my dream bike from when i was a kid) or a Look 595 or a Time VXRS. All these would fulfill a dream. However I also have to consider the Parlee Z4!

All prob built up with Campag record and similar level kit etc

What I'm looking for is a bike that wont kill me after a long ride (hence no Cervelo etc), and offers the right balance of stiffness to comfort. My days of racing are over so the bike will be more for the pure joy of cycling so Im not after a bike that will be ultra fast at the expense of comfort.

I'm drawn to the Time over the Colnago but countering that Colnago and Parlee obviously offer a greater range of sizes

If it helps Im 6ft, about 12stone and I do a lot of hills.

Is anyone able to offer a comparison of any of them?

really appreciate it. James

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you truly want it to be your *last* bike, get the Colnago. You'll be bored with the fashion statements of the other bikes after a few years. Well, maybe not the Parlee.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'd go with the C50. The 595 and Time seem too race-oriented to me, whereas the C50 is a pure classic do-it-all.

Also, how do you feel about integrated seatposts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to worried about the ISP's - especially the Time as I understand that you can always cut it done and use a standard post

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you are looking for a long term bike then I would would go with a titanium bike. I think it would hold up best for the long haul and is very strong and doesn't crack or dent very easily.

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
kiwisimon said:
Parlee, the US needs the money.
I don't disagree in principle, but in practice, EVERYBODY needs the money. (Also, anyway, aren't Z4s built in China now? Or is that another Parlee model?)

As another poster suggested, for a "forever bike" I'd consider a metal bike. I'm not so sure I'd consider titanium, but it seems like a sounder, more "forever" choice than carbon. In any case, no matter what, with no exceptions, I would go custom.

·
Registered
324 Posts
don't disagree with the Ti sentiment however - if you've always wanted a Colnago, then why not go with the c-50. I have an EPS and love it.

The VXRS is beautiful also, but it will probably date quicker.

The VXRS will be a stiffer bike but is still classed as an all round bike. I have ridden a mates and it certainly is not as stiff as my EPS but is more than enough. The Colnago gives you the opportunity to get a perfect fit wheras the Time compromises with 7 (not to say you can't get a great fit with the time though)

There is no wrong decision here really. Good Luck!

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
If your new bike is to be a "statement" then get Italian exotica - Colnago is a great bike. I have a Pinarello and the sheer pose value is amazing.

On the other hand if you want a bike that performs wonderfully then go for a top end Giant - I kid you not, they are amazing - although no one will stop and admire it when you park up.................. .......... I'm outa here ;-)

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'd go with the Time personally, I'd skip the Parlee unless you can get a Z3 which is actually made in the US.

·
Reality Star
893 Posts
Get one of each and there will be no regrets. Then you will truly never need another bike and you will have everything you think you wanted.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Unless yer planning on dying of swine flu, it won't be yer last bike.

These days, for the kind of money yer talking, you really can't buy a bad bike. Well, OK, you can, but it would take some effort.

So, go with the one that makes yer heart sing.

Personally, if it wuz me and I was looking for "forever", I'd be looking at steel or TI- chip the paint or scratch the fork and you won't be worrying if you damaged the fibers...

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
If you like a Colnago's ride, I would opt for the following: Master X-Light in PRMO (Molteni) with Precisa fork, Record 11sp (Not SR) and a wheelset with Record hubs 32h 3X with your choice of rims.

I built up an MXL that was my "Last" road bike, one I always wanted (I'm older, so bike lust for me=lugged Italian steel) and I am very happy with it, and I do like the ride of steel.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Italian - Colnago, and as said, the Master X Light - a gorgeous work of art.

American - Serotta - there you have a choice of steel or Ti.

I would never consider Carbon Fiber as the makings of a last-of-life bicycle. They're so race and replace to me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
dd74 said:
I would never consider Carbon Fiber as the makings of a last-of-life bicycle. They're so race and replace to me.
I used to think CF was such temporary material, but I've changed my mind about that. I know riders who are still riding their OCLV Trek 5000 series from 1999. I even know one rider who is riding still riding a 1980's era Exxon Graftek bike, which was one of the first carbon bike available.

I've been steel rider, hence the "cromoly" part of my username. But carbon has come a long a way and I excited to build up mine after being a champion of steel for years.

Back to the original post...
None of the bikes mentioned are comfort bikes, as they are race frame stiff with race geometry. A true carbon comfort oriented bike would be something like the Specialized Roubaix. Very nice setup for long distance rides.

With that said, you can add comfort to the Colnago, Look or Time bikes you are eyeing. Run 25c tires at 15 psi lower than your would a 23c tire and you'll get more supple ride. Shallow drop road bars bring the levers and lower ends of the bar closer to you. Stem wise, a 6 deg stem is more comfortable than a 10 deg one.

I had to pick a lifer bike off all the ones you listed, I would either go for Parlee. Their quality is top notch and you mentioned they offer more size variety. A lifer bike needs to fit you like glove. Also, the Parlee has the less racer graphics. Racer graphics are always "off the moment" style wise and will look dated in long term, IMO. Parlee's simple panel decal design is classic.

·
Registered
291 Posts
holy cromoly said:
I used to think CF was such temporary material, but I've changed my mind about that. I know riders who are still riding their OCLV Trek 5000 series from 1999. I even know one rider who is riding still riding a 1980's era Exxon Graftek bike, which was one of the first carbon bike available.

I've been steel rider, hence the "cromoly" part of my username. But carbon has come a long a way and I excited to build up mine after being a champion of steel for years.
Well, now that you mentioned Parlee, I may change my mind. Those are the most gorgeous carbon frames I've ever seen.

Still, there just seems to be something more life long about steel or even titanium. Also, if you fall and the frame breaks...well...:cryin:

FWIW, demolition workers could barely tear down the house of tomorrow at Disneyland. No matter how many bulldozers and what-not they brought to rip the thing down, it wouldn't budge. Now, if a frame can be made out of whatever comprised that building...:cool:

·
Registered
994 Posts
dd74 said:
Still, there just seems to be something more life long about steel or even titanium. Also, if you fall and the frame breaks...well...:cryin:
I hear ya on that. I recently built up a lugged steel Kona Kapu as my "lifer" bike and thought I'd be done.

But I am curious about carbon and want to give it another try so I am building up this carbon Klein and plan on spending the spring and summer on it and keeping the Kapu frame on my wall to build up when I feel like going back to steel.

The Colnago Master X-Light you mentioned is gorgeous, especially in the Molteni orange this year.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.