Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you folks live out there I figured you might want to do the Assault on Sugarloaf in September. I don't know if MB will be in Florida (thats pretty early for snowbirds) but you are there Gutt. I think I am going to use it as a warm up for my team going to the LAF challenge in October. Yes, i know it says 2008 on the flyer.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We find everyones fixation with Sugarloaf quite astounding.

#1) It ain't that high.
#2) It ain't that long.
#3) It ain't all that steep.

Since our Florida place is in Clermont we ride around and over Sugarloaf on at least half of our rides. It is amazing how many cyclists we see riding near Sugarloaf-not to mention how many we see stopped at the bottom and at the top.

Miss M gets a great deal of quite amusement watching other riders struggle with their shifting as she passes them on her fixte.......

BTW you are correct in assuming that we are unlikely to be there in September, but we will be there next week. Once we retire (49 days!) we are thinking mid-October to mid-May for these Snowbirds.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Creakyknees said:
wow that looks like it might actually be somewhat steep.
it's about .6 miles and averages around 14% with a fairly steep bit in the middle. it's really more of a sprint. "sprinters" tend to win the race out there each year. it is a really good place to do short high effort hill repeats.....

i wish i could ride enough to get back in shape for that ride. centuries out there are fun....

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
MB1 said:
We find everyones fixation with Sugarloaf quite astounding.

#1) It ain't that high.
#2) It ain't that long.
#3) It ain't all that steep.

Miss M gets a great deal of quite amusement watching other riders struggle with their shifting as she passes them on her fixte.......
:) I like your assessment, M!

The grade does not appear to be consistent at all, but there is approx 215 ft of elevation gain in roughly 1/2 mile for an average of 8.1% grade.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know this would be nothing more than a warm up for you and miss m to do the 113 mile circuit but could be a fun RBR get together. There might be BEER!!!!!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
jupiterrn said:
..... There might be BEER!!!!!
Oh DUDE!!!

Why didn't you say so in the first place?!?

A little apreride get together at the Tiki Bar??? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Sugarloaf is also part of the Horrible Hundred route in November.....there is always BEER after that ride. My son is getting married on November 14, the day before the Horrible 100 this year, so I'm going to miss it........or will I?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
What's the date or site for info? I might want to try something like that. Its really flat down here.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Horrible Hundred is sponsored by the Florida Freewheelers and is on November 15 this year. Not sure who puts on the Assault on Sugarloaf ride, I've never done it....too hot in September for centuries in FL for me.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cdhbrad said:
Horrible Hundred is sponsored by the Florida Freewheelers and is on November 15 this year. Not sure who puts on the Assault on Sugarloaf ride, I've never done it....too hot in September for centuries in FL for me.
The Horrible Hundred would be a fun one but I don't know if I will be able to get the weekend off since I will have just gotten back from Austin the week or so before. The Assault on Sugarloaf can be looked up at www.triflorida.com.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
That explains all the sleeveless jerseys in the flyer photo. Guess that's why I've never been to it too, I get really nervous when Tribike riders show up for big group events like the Horrible 100.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That may be a stock photo. I got a little activity book from Clermont yesterday in the mail and had all sorts of rides, tri, and runs in it. I guess I will be the only one out there.......NO BEER FOR YOU!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The photo may be stock, but I think it is a big Tri event. One of my friends does Ironman length Triathlons and he done the Assault on Sugarloaf. I think they go over it several times during the event, whereas we only do it once in the Horrible Hundred.
If you can get to Clermont, even when there isn't an organized ride, it is a great place to ride. A big difference from the flat coastal areas where many of us live. I'm sure MB1 will share some routes with you and they will all have good food along the way if the pictures he posts are any indication.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts