Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What components are you using on your white fixte? I think it is about the prettiest bike I have seen. Why did you choose what you had Waterford put on the frame such as eyelets or not? What other ideas did you think of when you ordered the frame?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
O.K. I've thought about it a bit.

The frame is a full custom with EXACTLY the frame fittings I desired. Of course I had a great starting place since Waterford had already built me a road bike that I loved so I asked that the Fixed frame match the RS22 frame as close as could be built with a fixed gear in mind.

The white bike ended up with a slightly higher BB and stand over. Depending on where the rear wheel is placed in the track ends the wheel base is slightly different between the two bikes.

3 bottle fittings, rack fittings, pump peg, top tube brake cable guides, rack and fender eyelets and of course the Paul Racer brake boss position. Threaded fork. Polished stainless steel head tube lugs and fork crown. Brushed stainless steel fork dropouts and track ends. If I was going to do it again I would spend the extra $$$ for polished SS seat lug and BB too.

The paint is pure white with a red to blue to purple pearl fade in the clear coat. Sweet!

Component wise I was going for "Made in the USA" as much as made sense. I stuck with the same pedals, seat, handlebars and brake levers that I use on my other bikes (SPD, Brooks Pro, Salsa short and shallow, Campy).

I had Paul Cantilevers on a couple of my other bikes and liked them but the Paul Racers looked so cool I dediced to go for them-the fact that they require a special canti boss placement wasn't a problem on a custom frame. They work great and are very easy to adjust for tension but once in a while they will squeek. Combined with the QR in the Campy Lever and popping the straddle cable there isn't any tire that you can't get in and out of there.

I use the Paul Moon units for the straddle wire hanger-I bought them for looks but can't really recommend them except for the looks.

Since I was buying the brakes from Paul I dedided to get a pair of his hubs too. It turned out that he didn't offer (at the time) the hubs in the 28 hole drilling I wanted but he was nice enough to whip me up a pair for no extra charge. I see now that he offers them as stock so he must have had other requests for them.

I'd owned the Mavic CPX30 rims forever and never had a use for them but I knew they would look just right on this bike so no issue there.

DT spokes on all my bikes.

ENO cranks looked like just the ticket and they were available with the chainring sizes I wanted so that was a simple purchase. I started out with a Shimano BB but after making sure everything lined up correctly I replaced it with a Phil Wood.

Chris King headsets on all my bikes, it is nice to not worry about a bearing component.

I tried a selection of stems that I already owned before ending up using the TTT that is on it now. I likely will replace it with a Nitto any day....

Thompson laid back seatpost. What is not to like?

Tires, chain and handlebar tape are always subject to change but I have settled on 38t chainring and keep a 15t cog and a 16t freewheel on the back.

Did I miss anything? Not a whole lot of parts on a fixte.

Sweet ride.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much and I will be in DC about two weeks and will see some of the objects of your photography.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
commutenow said:
Thanks very much and I will be in DC about two weeks and will see some of the objects of your photography.
You better get in touch for a lunchtime walkabout or something (unless I am in Florida at the time :( ) !

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be in town the 18th through the 21st of March because I am a teacher and it is spring break. yea! I will pm you when I get closer and I would love to meet you.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
commutenow said:
I will be in town the 18th through the 21st of March.....
We will be just back from Florida, tanned and happy. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts