Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ten cents gets you nuts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regardless of all the horror stories surrounding MBA graduates working at the local Chik-Fil-A, I am now pursuing one and focusing on marketing and brand management. However, as most professionals know, placement in internships (for me, this summer) and careers (next summer) depends on the network of the school attended. I'm finding placement for this summer to be no problem, but not in the industries in which I hold interest. I want to find myself in the cycling industry (surprise), the ski industry, or the auto industry. However, I am getting my degree in Virginia and therefore, not located near any hubs of these industries.

How can I break into these fields without having immediate contacts? Our alum network is amazing, but we are primarily concentrated in finance. I'm attempting to contact professors at schools in those geographic areas to get rudimentary conversations started, working closely with the b-school's career services office, and working my personal network but going nowhere fast in these three industries.

Any help is appreciated. You always landing a break in the strangest places. What would be a better story than finding a lead on a cycling forum? I've already run into several retired execs on group rides (Williamsburg is a huge retirement community).

-Dan

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Your first job need not be your dream job. Build credentials where you can, and then send your fat resume the bike industry's way. You have to keep in mind that the bike industry is relatively small--jobs are scarce and those who want them are passionate and relatively many.

·
105 and alum is good enuf
125 Posts
Yeah so far my MBA has gotten me nowhere.

20 Years of Army Leadership experience. I have contacted probably 50 organizations and have received one tiny nibble from a convenience store chain. And that nibble was pathetic, an email: "the job is in X; are you relocating to X"? Puhleez I stated I was relocating to the general area.
Are recruiters really this pathetic?

Maybe I should just go bankrupt, collect my retired pay and go live in a park somewhere.
Sheesh.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i have no input except for toothpastefordinner.com:

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
i have no input except for toothpastefordinner.com:

you beat me to it!

its ok, this one is still good

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
yarble said:
you beat me to it!

its ok, this one is still good
they're all good, but this one made me choke.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
they're all good, but this one made me choke.

ill see your talking scarf and raise you a jeff goldblum and beige

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
yarble said:
ill see your talking scarf and raise you a jeff goldblum and beige
i TOLD you i've been taking those books on dates, yes?

and sharing them with waitstaff, hot under-aged hostesses, and hot under-aged hostesses, right? and hot under-aged hostesses? ("just two more years, baby, you can wait for me!" yeah right...)

anyways, you're the man for turning me on to this stuff.

my new shirt:

"bad poetry!
oh noetry."

wore it all day today.

·
ten cents gets you nuts
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ArmySlowRdr said:
Yeah so far my MBA has gotten me nowhere.

20 Years of Army Leadership experience. I have contacted probably 50 organizations and have received one tiny nibble from a convenience store chain. And that nibble was pathetic, an email: "the job is in X; are you relocating to X"? Puhleez I stated I was relocating to the general area.
Are recruiters really this pathetic?

Maybe I should just go bankrupt, collect my retired pay and go live in a park somewhere.
Sheesh.
A friend and I were talking the other day after both seeing something on the Discovery Channel about snowplows. We could not figure out why we weren't professionally driving those right now.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Powder Hound said:
A friend and I were talking the other day after both seeing something on the Discovery Channel about snowplows. We could not figure out why we weren't professionally driving those right now.
Global Warming? You live in the south? Afraid to compete with Mr. Plow and Plow King?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,243 Posts
Here is my advice.

First, your school matters, not what you learn. And that is because what you learn is not important at all, who you meet is. The people who got the plumb jobs with MBAs that I know of spent their time playing golf with fellow MBA students, playing golf with alumni, playing golf at as many private clubs as they could.

Then they took the job that paid the most, from connections made at the clubs. A year or so later they jumped to another company, often through connections made playing golf.

So, my advice is to play golf. Try to crush your fellow students. Try to lose to potential employers (or those that know potential employers) and kiss their butts the whole time.

"Excellent shot, Tad! Have you been pumping iron, because you CRUSHED that one!"

And I am not joking. I am totally serious.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
I'm glad my grad degree is gonna be in a field that scarfs up new grads immediately. Like, no one finishes our program w/out a job....and a cherry job at that.

And since tech geeks and nerds are the new black, we get the horny chickadees looking to score some tech geek seat time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts