Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
Bad news for McEwen who has been doing well and won a stage at the Eneco, but it makes sense. Building a team for Cadel is the obvious thing to do. If it goes wrong and things come down to a sprint there is no way McEwen could get onto the podium against the likes of Cavendish.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
bummer... sure he's not as fast as he once was but motivation is a funny thing and he's definitely riding into form now.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Agree whole heartedly. Cippolini won in the twilight of his career. Many more great sprinters, but he pulled it out.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
albert owen said:
Bad news for McEwen who has been doing well and won a stage at the Eneco, but it makes sense. Building a team for Cadel is the obvious thing to do. If it goes wrong and things come down to a sprint there is no way McEwen could get onto the podium against the likes of Cavendish.
Evans has won my respect, but this is not his Worlds course. They need a fast finisher. McEwen is still pretty fast if he's on form.

JSR

·
Registered
98 Posts
Talk here is of the possibility of Evans being a super domestique, with the team being built around Allan Davis and Stuey O'Grady (probably Captain) with either Matt Goss or Mark Renshaw being the sprinter.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
albert owen said:
I think you meant Evans here, no?

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
Isn't there bad blood between McEwen and Evans? Or am I mistaken. If I am right, then this could also be a reason for McE's ommission.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
I thought there was bad blood between all the Aussies and Cadel. The implication in the various quotes after last year's Worlds was that the team voted to have Gerrans as the leader on the day and that none of them were riding to protect Cadel.

I'm disappointed that Robbie is out of the running, he is on the up and his experience and patience might be helpful to a guy like Matt Goss. There will be lots of pressure on the Aussies at Worlds this year!

·
This space for sale
783 Posts
I think the selected team is pretty good.
Baden Cooke, Allan Davis, Cadel Evans, Simon Gerrans, Matthew Goss, Mathew Hayman, Stuart O'grady, Michael Rogers, Wesley Sulzberger

Only rider I'm not sure about is Baden Cooke, I don't know how is form is of late. If his form is good no worries.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
They think Robbie's too old, Haussler's not back into shape and that Renshaw will actually work for Cavendish... Maybe?
IIRC Heinrich wasn't on the list of fifteen, but no Mark Renshaw in the final squad is a bit of a surprise.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
No Renshaw=No win.
Renshaw is the only sprinter that can be counted on to beat Cav.

Biggest mistake in world's team selection I have seen in a long time.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
It's an odd choice

Goss and Davis are supposed to be the protected riders with Evans there for a non-sprint finish. McEwen's rounding into pretty good shape for anybody who's watched the Eneco Tour.

Some people out Geelong way say it's not a sprinters course and I've driven much of the course which can be subject to windy conditions. In short, you'd probably want to field a adaptable squad. IMHO Robbie Mac is still the best sprinter the country's got and he's one rider who can motivate himself to the front regardless of the conditions. Being at the backside of his career and riding on home soil (ok, he's a Gold Coaster), what could give greater motivation? IF, it ends in a sprint, the selectors are going to look pretty silly.

I've been in Sydney for the past week and local riders just shake their heads at the selection. If I get down to Melbourne next week, it will be interesting to see if the opinion's the same.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Soooo... this is supposed to be a "sprinter's course", right?
And the Aussies have left off McEwan, Haussler and Renshaw?
I mean, I like Davis, but he's slower than two of those guys...
WTH?

·
Registered
57 Posts
There some interesting stuff on http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/08/australia-cyclones-elite-mens-world-champs-team/

"Cookie: Selected as a workhorse for first 200km and isn’t expected to finish. He’s done that job well in the Ardennes Classics (which the course in Geelong resembles) for SaxoBank. Wasn’t selected for his results this year."

"Robbie: If he was on the team he’d be put in a leaders spot. They didn’t feel that he’d be able to be a work horse and didn’t think he’d be able to make it to the finish."

It won't come down to a bunch sprint anyway. I think Cancellara will get in a break, kill himself keeping it away from the field, but destroy almost everyone else in the break too, and then he'll be outsprinted and finish 3rd. Cavendish will win the bunch sprint for fourth :)

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
From what Robbie said at the end of the TDF was that he has been having many back / alignment related injuries over the last year and a half - even if he is in rehab mode he would not be the old Robbie who could give anyone a run for thier money. Even with the results in the Eneco - my guess is he is still too banged up to be a threat - hence the decision to leave him off the team.
Still may be Aussie's best sprinter FWIW

1 - 20 of 22 Posts