Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode from the Sisters side up to within 2 miles of the Observatory on Friday. The snow is still 8 feet deep up there, but a 1-lane track is available for cyclists. Rumor has it that it will be open all the way across within the next 2-3 weeks (for cyclists and people on foot). Bring booties and knee warmers if you go, even on a warm day. You will be riding through puddles of snowmelt. They probably only have about 7 more miles of snow removal to go. Also, I rode up toward Three Creeks Lake: it is still snow-blocked past the 11-mile gate, but the snow is rapidly receeding. Just snow patches here and there at this point.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
The Pass was plowed on both sides as of Saturday. The snow was still pretty impressive in places. I don't expect it'll be open to traffic for a few weeks.

Here's a crappy cell phone camera pic from the east side:

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
gray8110 said:
The Pass was plowed on both sides as of Saturday. The snow was still pretty impressive in places. I don't expect it'll be open to traffic for a few weeks.

Here's a crappy cell phone camera pic from the east side:
I've done Trail Ridge in Rocky Mountain NP when it was near that high--cool shot.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
terzo rene said:
Any news on when it's going to be opened to traffic? Never done it without the constant companionship of exhaust.
I think it's fair to say that you've got a few weeks at least. I would expect it'll be late June before they have the debris & snow cleared sufficiently to allow trafic through.

Here's the contact information for ODOT Region 4. (Central Oregon) I'm sure they'll have a better idea.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/REGION4/contact_us.shtml

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
There's limited parking around McKenzie Bridge. If you start there, you'll have about 3,700 feet of climbing in roughly 20 miles. It's a concerted 5-6% grade for about 10 miles of that and gradual to rolling uphill for the rest.

There are a couple campgrounds between McKenzie Bridge & the gate where you could park as well.

asterisk said:
Where's the best way to approach this from the west side (parking)? I know little about anything east of the Cascades or the Sisters/Bend/Redmond area and I need to get some climbing in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.