Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
more like this, please.<i>

"For me there is a correlation. The Operation Puerto (doping affair) was in Spain and a large proportion of the riders involved in that were Spanish," McQuaid told AFP in a telephone call from Switzerland.


"I have been to Spain, spoken to people and seen what goes on. I've heard of cyclists racing at junior level who have been caught cheating. Often, it's not just the riders, it's the people around them."
</i>
http://www.velonews.com/article/80237
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
169 Posts
blackhat said:
more like this, please.<i>

"For me there is a correlation. The Operation Puerto (doping affair) was in Spain and a large proportion of the riders involved in that were Spanish," McQuaid told AFP in a telephone call from Switzerland.


"I have been to Spain, spoken to people and seen what goes on. I've heard of cyclists racing at junior level who have been caught cheating. Often, it's not just the riders, it's the people around them."
</i>
http://www.velonews.com/article/80237

Good post!

RG :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
blackhat said:
more like this, please.<i>

"For me there is a correlation. The Operation Puerto (doping affair) was in Spain and a large proportion of the riders involved in that were Spanish," McQuaid told AFP in a telephone call from Switzerland.


"I have been to Spain, spoken to people and seen what goes on. I've heard of cyclists racing at junior level who have been caught cheating. Often, it's not just the riders, it's the people around them."
</i>
http://www.velonews.com/article/80237
The news about this is that it is actually news to McQuaid. Everyone else's thoughts are "Well, duh! There is a reason why foreign riders live in Girona."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Under ACrookedSky said:
The news about this is that it is actually news to McQuaid. Everyone else's thoughts are "Well, duh! There is a reason why foreign riders live in Girona."
maybe. I don't think it's actually news to him as much as he's trying to make news this week and stay relevant by doing so. still, good to see someone call the elephant an elephant.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
giovanni sartori said:
Foreigners such as the Garmin team?
Them among others. Armstrong and crew decided to move from France when the the french anti-doping efforts hotted up. Then there are italians who also moved to Girona. Maybe it's just me, but given the choice between training in Italy or Spain and easy access to italian food or spanish food, I'll go with the italian option every time. But I am sure there was a good, non-dope related reason to move. :rolleyes: Like maybe a lot of pro cyclists are also bullfighting fans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Them among others. Armstrong and crew decided to move from France when the the french anti-doping efforts hotted up. Then there are italians who also moved to Girona. Maybe it's just me, but given the choice between training in Italy or Spain and easy access to italian food or spanish food, I'll go with the italian option every time. But I am sure there was a good, non-dope related reason to move. :rolleyes: Like maybe a lot of pro cyclists are also bullfighting fans.
Thanks for clarifying. The Garmin and VDV supporters must be bummed at this news. So, if you are a Spaniard and not a doper do you need to move to France?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
giovanni sartori said:
Thanks for clarifying. The Garmin and VDV supporters must be bummed at this news. So, if you are a Spaniard and not a doper do you need to move to France?
Or the first Americans moved there for living, training and other reasons and the latter ones followed and found it was good place to live and train but aren't partaking of the other reasons :) Then again, VdV is doing THE surprise ride of the Tour :)
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,966 Posts
McQuaid is such a clown. For every gem, he lays a big, fat stinking turd. Latest is 'ProTour is a contract and we'll sue you for breach of contract if you try to leave.'

Uh, Pat, I think that you completely effed up the ProTour calendar such that it's now a shadow of its former self and certainly not to what the teams agreed when they accepted a ProTour license. Who breached the contract first?

I would think the failure to do anything after Paris-Nice, etc. seriously weakens the UCI's 'breach of contract' nonsense.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
jorgy said:
McQuaid is such a clown. For every gem, he lays a big, fat stinking turd. Latest is 'ProTour is a contract and we'll sue you for breach of contract if you try to leave.'

Uh, Pat, I think that you completely effed up the ProTour calendar such that it's now a shadow of its former self and certainly not to what the teams agreed when they accepted a ProTour license. Who breached the contract first?
McQuaid is an imbecile. He has some sort of syndrome that compels him to make an ass out of himself whenever there is a nearby microphone. He is like a little kid; he just does not know when it is in his best interest to shut up.

When you've lost, you've lost. Suck it up. Crying about it in the press and making futile threats makes you look even more pathetic.

The ProTour might have been something if Verbruggen and McQuaid did not behave as though they were dictators and if they were the least bit competent at their jobs.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top