Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone kept warning me that my eyes would take a crap at 40. i passed 40 laughing at them all. 41 and 42 I was still laughing, thinking my eyes would make up for all my other faults and last til 80 or 90. now I'm 43 and a half and suddenly and i mean suddenly mis ojos are going south on me. wtf? can someone give me some help here? my eyes may be going, but i'm gonna keep swinging til i hit someone. if you guys won't help, i'll find someone who can. don't try to run, i'll track you down and beat the tar out of you.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
I'm with you

mickey-mac said:
everyone kept warning me that my eyes would take a crap at 40. i passed 40 laughing at them all. 41 and 42 I was still laughing, thinking my eyes would make up for all my other faults and last til 80 or 90. now I'm 43 and a half and suddenly and i mean suddenly mis ojos are going south on me. wtf? can someone give me some help here? my eyes may be going, but i'm gonna keep swinging til i hit someone. if you guys won't help, i'll find someone who can. don't try to run, i'll track you down and beat the tar out of you.
My wife the MD "warned" me that all men need glasses at 40. At 40, I laughed at her. At 41, 42, 43 I was still laughing. But at 44, I'm aint' laughing any more. I started having real eye strain. Went to the eye doctor: perfect eyes...just make adjustments to lighting in your office, he said. So in my office, I removed 1/2 the flourescents, bought a flat screen monitor, put on an anti-glare screen, use eye drops, close my eyes for a few seconds to give them a rest, etc.... Still eye strain. It's these damn computers. Yeah...that's it...not me gettin' old...it's the computers fault.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Perfect vision til

mid 40's - All those years of perfect vision, then the old eyes start failing to focus on closeup items. Had to get some low power drug store reading glasses to, well read anything, or work on stuff. It's hard to forget how I was once able to spot things, smallest of details. Since we males are such visual animals anyway, this aspect of aging tends to have a big impact.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Could be worse........

I never saw anything clear further than 4 feet until I got glasses at the age of 7......think about that for a minute.

I needed to suppliment my contacts with reading glasses at about 42 or so. It's a pain. Now when I get contacts, it's always a balancing act.

Wait till you get to 50 and you notice your night vision isn't as sharp.

Len

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Are you kidding? This is good news for you.

Now you won't be able to see your own erectile disfunction.

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
Now that us FUNNY!!!!!!!

LMAO (of course I'm also past my forties, and have gone through it)
Geez, I misspelled "is" even with my glasses on...........

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Welcome to the club

mickey-mac said:
I have had to wear glasses or contacts since I was 9 years old. I can't see anything without glasses or contacts. But, up until about two years ago (I'm now 47), I could see everything well with my prescription. Now, I am at the point that if I have a prescription that allows me to read things, I lose long distance focus and vice versa. I have two different prescriptions for my contacts -- the one I wear to work and the ones I wear for riding and distance. I can still see to drive with my work contacts, but I am at the point where I either am going to have to get reading glasses or glasses to wear for driving over my contacts. My opthomologist tells me I need bifocals -- the next thing I know I will be buying Depends. It sucks. I don't feel like I am middle aged, but my eyes surely are telling me that I am. As a 94 year old member of lunch club to which I belong often says -- "Getting old ain't for sissies." Of course, if I still can drive and go to lunch with youngsters who are in their 40s and 50s and be lucid at 94, I'll be a very happy man.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
I want to resign from the club.......but I cant

When I turned 40 I said no sweat. The big 4 0 ??.......c'mon,.....whats the big deal?.... This is a cake walk, right?? I was a big strappin long haul truck driver,.... devil may care, smoke 3000 miles in two days and then "turn and burn" back to Florida...........until I turned 40 !!...... Glasses??..........I did'nt need no stinking glasses. I was invincible!!

When I turned 41 I was diagnosed with "Type 2" diabetes, from years of bad living and hard driving. Eight months later I had what the doctors called an "Aborted heart attack" and wound up having to get a triple by-pass. (scared the sh** out of me)

Lat month I turned 50, aint smoked in 9 rears, and trying to keep my diabetes under control. Today I ride 2-3000 miles a year,......in training,......not for the upcoming century, or even the Saturday group ride,.........but to save my friggen life.

yeah,......welcome to the club

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Presbyopia showed up right on schedule when I turned 40, as promised. I think I began wearing glasses when I was 8, so this was just adding insult to injury. I'm told there are contacts I could get than have a bifocal design, but that'll have to wait until I have an income again.

Being seriously in denial allowed me to almost reach 50 before I went to the doctor with my suspicions about diabetes. Damn, I hate being right. Type 2. I suppose that's "better" than Type 1, but if I had my druthers...and of course, I waited until I was on the verge of losing my medical insurance before I did this.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
mickey-mac said:
\Yeah, me too- bit mine lasted 'til 44. neah- neah ;-)

Hey, You want I should come down and ride? the weather is looking nice after about four more days

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rwbadley said:
\Yeah, me too- bit mine lasted 'til 44. neah- neah ;-)

Hey, You want I should come down and ride? the weather is looking nice after about four more days
If you want to come down next weekend, my wife and kids will be away and you're welcome to stay here. However, the weather site is showing at least some rain here for next weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts