Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok. so looks like i need to get rid of my crappy stock saddle. I have read about a device at bike shops that measures sit-bone width, but it looks no one here around me appears to have one. (Sydney Australia)

isn't the good old ruler or measuring tape the most reliable way to do that? or is there anywhere where you could get the measurement wrong by using it? anyone done this before? share your tips and tricks please..

thanks all

Edit: HAHAHAHAH... this is so funny. the guys around the office think i am a perv tryint to stick a ruler under my bum while sitting on the desk...this ruler thing won't work. any other thoughts? will be getting a saddle this weekend. thanks for your help.

Update: SUCCESS... Sat on a peice of thick cardboard... left impressions that i could measure.

· Registered
123 Posts
fouadaswad said:
ok. so looks like i need to get rid of my crappy stock saddle. I have read about a device at bike shops that measures sit-bone width, but it looks no one here around me appears to have one. (Sydney Australia)

isn't the good old ruler or measuring tape the most reliable way to do that? or is there anywhere where you could get the measurement wrong by using it? anyone done this before? share your tips and tricks please..

thanks all

Edit: HAHAHAHAH... this is so funny. the guys around the office think i am a perv tryint to stick a ruler under my bum while sitting on the desk...this ruler thing won't work. any other thoughts? will be getting a saddle this weekend. thanks for your help.

Update: SUCCESS... Sat on a peice of thick cardboard... left impressions that i could measure.

Buy a couple packs of play-do (modeller's clay, silly putty.. whatever it's called). Roll it with a rolling pin til it's about half-inch thick and about 3'' X 10". Place a piece of clear plastic wrap over it and there you go. I used this method to buy a Specialized Alias 143mm saddle for myself and Specialized Jett 155mm for my GF, it worked out fine.

· Registered
237 Posts
I don't know about stickin' a ruler in my bum....however...

I want to just comment that you are definitely on the right track. It is all about width--once you get the width correct, the rest is relatively easy. I find it shocking how many folks go on-and-on complaining about their saddles, cut-outs, what-not, and they do not even think about the width of the saddle. To me it doesn't matter what is in the middle of the saddle if my bones are happy.

fouadaswad said:
thanks all

· Registered
244 Posts
sorry to be ignorant, but where do you measure on the impression? And how does that translate into a measurement on the saddle? I'm too not quite comfortable on the stock Bontrager on my new LeMond, but could use a little more help in narrowing down (or widening:) ) the saddles I should consider. Sure would be great to be able to test ride when your going to spend upwards of $80....

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah really. i was leaving this for my LBS to answer. but now that it has come up:

my sitbones left to circular impressions. Measuring centre-to-centre (of circles), i have 125mm. Measuring far end-to-far end i have approx 165mm.

my current saddle is 145 mm wide. when im in it, if i rest either sitbone on saddle the other one seems to be outside the saddle. So does that mean i need a 165 wide saddle?

· Registered
284 Posts
Where to meaure

Whether it is in the kitty litter, gel foam or clay, it where the indents are the deepest on your skinny, road weary behind. The bones will make an impressionas that's where the weight load gets placed, bike saddle or kitty litter. Actually, some yoga mats or the like will hold the indent long enough to get a pretty accurate measurement.

· Registered
123 Posts
fouadaswad said:
yeah really. i was leaving this for my LBS to answer. but now that it has come up:

my sitbones left to circular impressions. Measuring centre-to-centre (of circles), i have 125mm. Measuring far end-to-far end i have approx 165mm.

my current saddle is 145 mm wide. when im in it, if i rest either sitbone on saddle the other one seems to be outside the saddle. So does that mean i need a 165 wide saddle?

According to Specialized's site, the more aero your position goes the closer your sit-bones come together, so determining what's the right width for you would be your sit-bone width (center to center) coupled with what's your riding position - more upright or more aero?
My sit-bones were 110mm center to center and I chose the 143mm based on how I spend most of my time riding (for me on the hoods). My 3rd ride on the saddle was 4h 15m and all was good (I had ridden both days before as well 3+ hrs each day). If I tried that with my Fizik Poggio, when I got to the 3 hr mark I would have been looking to get off the bike and hitch a ride home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.