Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bikes Direct for the past few weeks have offered their MercierUltegra road bikes with Ritchey Protocol's for $1000. My worry, now that I have purchased a couple of these bikes is the wheels. Does anyone know for sure whether or not these are post recall wheelsets. I have been unable to receive a satisfying answer from Bikes Direct.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
email them

send them an email. I'm sure they will provide the info you need.

Bikes Direct for the past few weeks have offered their MercierUltegra road bikes with Ritchey Protocol's for $1000. My worry, now that I have purchased a couple of these bikes is the wheels. Does anyone know for sure whether or not these are post recall wheelsets. I have been unable to receive a satisfying answer from Bikes Direct.
________
Website design

·
Banned
476 Posts
thats a good idea - but its easy to anser by email

Lifelover said:
Just give them a call. I'm sure they will be very helpful over the phone.

my experience is they answer emails; and if you are a customer with a more complex question; you can just call them. problem maybe that the customer service by phone is only open like 10 to 5 on weekends

·
Banned
476 Posts
who needs homework?

it seems unlikely that would sell wheels that had not been fixed; and more than likely bicycles sold now would be made after that recall - wasnt that last year?

But I think the best idea is call Ritchey; then you can find out every thing from the serial numbers; I bet --

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
collectorvelo said:
my experience is they answer emails; and if you are a customer with a more complex question; you can just call them. problem maybe that the customer service by phone is only open like 10 to 5 on weekends
Do you have a phone number? The owner chimed into a discussion about bikesdirect a few months ago and reported that they do not take customer phone calls. If you have a number for them at all I'm sure that there are people on this board who would like to have it.

That's the reason for the snide comment about calling them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Man, you guys really rag on a guy trying to get the best deal he can for his money. I just purchased a bike from bikesdirect.com, and found them to be nothing but helpful and responsive. I got the same bike priced in town, and it was over double the price bikesdirect offered. Just try to help a fella out maybe.. I'm sure 'I told ya so' doesn't help too much. Just trying to support my fellow penny pincher!

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
VictoriaJujitsu said:
I got the same bike priced in town, and it was over double the price bikesdirect offered.
This is the kinda of BS that gets people fired up and make us assume you are a shill or a dumba$$.

BD is nowhere near 1/2 of an equivalent equipped big brand. When you consider the build cost and any support you may ned they may even be higher.

To me there is little difference between the folks who buy crap from BD and try to justify it and the folks who buy $5000 frames and try to justify it. They both just want to feel good about the purchase no mater what.

·
Banned
476 Posts
type of BS

Lifelover said:
This is the kinda of BS that gets people fired up and make us assume you are a shill or a dumba$$.

BD is nowhere near 1/2 of an equivalent equipped big brand. When you consider the build cost and any support you may ned they may even be higher.

To me there is little difference between the folks who buy crap from BD and try to justify it and the folks who buy $5000 frames and try to justify it. They both just want to feel good about the purchase no mater what.

yes, it is this type of BS that makes people want to hear supporting facts
this guy bought a Mercier from bikesdirect and you imply it is crap
and that you can get a better bike in a 'big brand' for under $1995

however, you do not support your claim his Mercier is crap
nor do you site the under $1995 Ultegra bike that is better

so you are correct; one can only assume you are a shill for some bike seller that can not deliver as good of a deal

by the way - do you even know what bike the OP purchased?

·
Banned
476 Posts
phone number

Big Bad John said:
Do you have a phone number? The owner chimed into a discussion about bikesdirect a few months ago and reported that they do not take customer phone calls. If you have a number for them at all I'm sure that there are people on this board who would like to have it.

That's the reason for the snide comment about calling them.
I got their number by asking for it thru e-mail; but then they anwsered my questions thru e-mail well enough that I did not need to call

of course, you can always call their shops too
but if you can get the answer in writting; why not take that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's ridiculous Lifelover. I'm sick of hearing about this shill stuff everytime bikesdirect is mentioned as well. The truth is, I got the bike I was looking for. Sure it's not a boutique or huge brand name bike, but that's not important to me. It's nothing at all like buying an insanely priced frame and trying to justify it. Sure we all want to feel good about our purchases, but I don't feel like I need to get attacked over my bike choice by an internet posse. The reason that I chose it is that can repair it myself, I may upgrade the frame later, but I'm getting a good quality package for literally less than half the price. That half price refers to exactly the same bike, with fuji's name on it instead of motobecane. If saving that much money makes me a dumbass, maybe you should look into an economics course. Do me a favour and pretend to set a budget at 1500 bucks. See what the best deal you can come up with is. I'm even selling my old bike to afford this one. Let me know if you're interested in buying a three year old, dinged up from highway riding every day, tiagra bike with granny geometry. For me this is a great upgrade.

I'll post photos when it comes.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Please do

VictoriaJujitsu said:
That's ridiculous Lifelover. I'm sick of hearing about this shill stuff everytime bikesdirect is mentioned as well. The truth is, I got the bike I was looking for. Sure it's not a boutique or huge brand name bike, but that's not important to me. It's nothing at all like buying an insanely priced frame and trying to justify it. Sure we all want to feel good about our purchases, but I don't feel like I need to get attacked over my bike choice by an internet posse. The reason that I chose it is that can repair it myself, I may upgrade the frame later, but I'm getting a good quality package for literally less than half the price. That half price refers to exactly the same bike, with fuji's name on it instead of motobecane. If saving that much money makes me a dumbass, maybe you should look into an economics course. Do me a favour and pretend to set a budget at 1500 bucks. See what the best deal you can come up with is. I'm even selling my old bike to afford this one. Let me know if you're interested in buying a three year old, dinged up from highway riding every day, tiagra bike with granny geometry. For me this is a great upgrade.

I'll post photos when it comes.
congrats on your new ride man. I would second trying to call ritchey directly regarding the wheels with any questions. Chances are the folks at BD would have to as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
they are not the recalled wheels...

i guess i'm one of those idiots who bought one of those mercier bikes with the ritchey protocol wheels.
like my other idiot compadres i checked around, saw that it was a great deal and jumped on it. i bought the bike because i've been looking to buy an aluminum frame that i could build up and ride in the rain without worrying about corrosion. (i live in portland, and that is a real issue here.) when i saw the mercier, i figured that i could strip the bike, sell the parts and keep the frame for just about nothing. i dont care about ten speeds and i'm really happy running 9 speeds for several more years. but then, i finally converted to a triple and 9 speeds last summer. i'm building it up with 105 parts i've been buying here and there for a while and i'll post pics after i take a few pics tomorrow. i'm about halfway through the process.
i have to say that i'm always amazed at the pure unadulterated hatred that some folks show for companies like bikesdirect and their customers.
i mean, seriously!... cant you guys simply deal with the fact that some folks have different perspectives and value different things when doing a deal like buying a bike?
now, about the wheels...
i checked with bikesdirect before i bought the bike and they assured me -via email - that the wheels on their merciers were not the recalled wheels. frankly, i've called ritchey also and they've been much less responsive. i'm still waiting on a call back from them. even with their obviously very expensive phone system no one from ritchey has called me back and its been about a week since i left a couple of messages about the wheels.
i'm assuming that bikesdirect was being honest with me -god knows they have to understand that it would soon be headline news on this site if they actually lied about something like that! - but, then, i really dont trust nobody, so i wanted to check directly with ritchey. my understanding also is that ritchey has done a pretty good job of fixing the recalled wheels, so even in a worst case scenario, the wheels might simply be a minor hassle. i might have to get the rear one repaired before i sold the pair.
i hope this helps.
and no, i'm not a shill for bikesdirect.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
can't answer if they are under recall, but if so

ritchey is fast--i took my rear wheel to performance bike (they verified it was a recall hub) and they sent it off and it was back with afree tire as a bonus in just over 2 weeks.
so even if it needs to go to ritchey--just take it to a shop that seels ritchey and it should be a zero-hassle issue

jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got the same bike during the same sale and was aware of the recall before I bought. Bikesdirect made a point in the listing of saying the wheels were the new issue 2006 model. From everything I have read, the recall only affected 2005 model wheels.

·
Registered
931 Posts
You're wrong

Lifelover said:
Sorry, but you're wrong. I just bought the Moto Nemesis for $995, and that included shipping. FYI, the Nemesis is the Fuji Aloha 1.0, just rebadged/repainted. MSRP on Fuji's site is $1,820. Buy this at a shop, tack on sales tax, and you're at your $2,000, or double the price "of an equivalent equipped big brand." A lot of folks here diss bd.com, but if you can wrench and know what fits you, it's the best deal going.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts