Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my life, I've had slightly high BP. From the first time I can remember having it taken as a kid, up until now, my BP runs 13X over 8X. I have almost never had a bottom number under 80. Maybe once, when I would do it myself, a couple years ago, and I would do it 5 times in a row. I have a BP machine that will take it for me. My wife had to get it when shee was preggers x3.

So, does this mean I'm going to die? (sooner, rather than later)

My pulse is usually in the low 50s, and my cholesterol is usually in the moderate range. Just over 200, but with a "good" cholersterol off the charts, and the bad cholesterol is really low.

I tried to look at my sodium intake as I ate over the weekend, and I don't seem to be able to avoid eating >100% usrda unless I go raw vegan. My problem is, I love meat. and junk food. And I pretty much hate veggies.

What's a poor slob to do?

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
The "normal" BP is generally considered 120/80. The worst thing you can do is take it 5 times in a row. Betcha it will go up a little each time. The thing to do is check it at the same time every morning similar to when you are supposed to weigh yourself. No coffee, CNN, Financial new, just sit in a comfy chair and take your BP. Keep a log for 2 weeks. Make an appointment with your PMD for a routine yearly physical and show your results to them at your appointment. Take into consideration your family history. If you look like your parents on the outside eventually you will look like them on the inside. With your level of riding I would personally expect your pressure to be a little lower. I am fat and out of shape and mine hangs around 120/70's with a resting heart rate in the 50's - 60's. That's all I can tell you, and yes you will still die.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
A diastolic (bottom number) of 90 or greater is currently what is considered high.

80's is pushing it. Systolic >140 is pushing it. 130's is fine.

Jupiter gave great advice.

If you have a familial history of hypertension and hyperlipidemia...diet and weight control is your firstline defense. It's always better to adjust your diet than end up on medications if possible.

I doubt you would have to go "raw vegan" to get under the daily sodium allowance. Just adjust. Doesn't mean you can't have the stuff you like, just moderate your intake. Stay away from procesed foods.

Can you eat things like chicken and fish instead of red meats? (if that's your main protein source).

Eating meat is not a bad thing, as protein also helps HDL. Vegans who don't eat enough complete proteins (as complete as you can get with veggie protein) are at risk for poor HDL levels.

Also, are you fat? The fatter you are the more difficult it may be to keep your BP under control.

And yes, I agree with Jupiter. You are still going to die. We're all dying. A healthy diet is just one way of making the trip there more pleasant. :)

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
What they ^ say.

Also, based on what my doctors tell me, your BP is borderline (and about what mine is, untreated). They would probably not treat it unless, like me, you have another condition that can be aggravated or complicated by hypertension. Then they'd want to bring it down closer to the 120/70 range.

That's what my docs tell me anyway.

And as for salt intake, if you really can't bring yourself to cut back, you need to make extra sure you're properly hydrated at all times. That's about 2 liters or more of water a day, and more if you exercise.

Can you bring your weight down any? Even 5-10 pounds can sometimes help. 10-15 will likely have a noticeable effect. Did for me, anyway.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
I tried to look at my sodium intake as I ate over the weekend, and I don't seem to be able to avoid eating >100% usrda unless I go raw vegan. My problem is, I love meat. and junk food. And I pretty much hate veggies.
Unprocessed meat doesn't have much sodium. Steak 3oz = 65mg; Chicken 1/2 breast = 63mg. It's the junk food that will kill you (so to speak).

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
We took my mother to the ER a couple weeks back. Her BP was 227/115. The ER staff thought the machine was faulty until another unit yielded the same reading.

It was mostly anxiety related but they did end up putting in a couple stents while they were doing an angiogram just to be sure.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I got a note from the Blood Center after my last donation, saying that my cholesterol level was "borderline high." I was baffled- my pressure/iron/cholesterol levels have always been very low.

Finally, I realized the probable reason: I donated right after breakfast- two eggs on a roll with coffee. Usually, I donate later in the morning, before lunch. Whew!!

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input.

No, I'm not overweight or have any type of hypertension. I'm 6'2, about 190 right now. When I'm riding more often, I'm closer to 185. People look at me and think I'm skinny because I'm thin boned. You can see my abs.

I took my BP 5 times in a row last night, sitting on the edge of the tub. It went down each time, just a point or two, with the last one being 121/81, and my pulse was 46 (ranged from 44 to 51 over the 5 tests). The highest BP I had was 135/90, but that one yielded the lowest HR. That range of BP has been consistant over my entire life. My father is 5'11, 165, but had a stent put in at 55 with a 99% blockage (no heart attack), and will turn 70 next month, and plays tennis a few days a week.

My wife is going to be setting up a full physical for me soon. I just turned 43 and I can't remember the last time I had one.

//I like having my own personal health consultants here. thx.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts