Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Norse god of mischief and chaos. She's 8wks old and a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Cute......I like the coloring. How big will she get?

Watch out for those who believe that anything but a pound dog is immoral! :blush2:

Len

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Cute dog. You should have adopted a cat from the shelter though :) :).

Just kiddin'. Well, the shelter part anyway.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Len J said:
Cute......I like the coloring. How big will she get?

Watch out for those who believe that anything but a pound dog is immoral! :blush2:

Len
About 45-50 pounds, probably closer to 50 based on her frame. I'm immune to the pound argument. I understand it and support it, just not for me for this dog. This is no puppy mill dog. It's bred for a purpose and that's bird hunting. She will receive countless hours of training, be able to mark and retrieve 3 different ducks at 200+ yards, be able to lock onto a pheasant and hold it until I flush it and also be a loving companion and spoiled house dog. That's pretty much a given from her breeding and the time I will put into her training.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

One of the best sporting breeds ever developed.
Great choice.
Please shoot me a pm with breeders info.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Beautiful puppy! I am sure she will be a great bird dog. I am not a fan of puppy mills but I do support responsible breeders of working breeds.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
rward325 said:
I do support responsible breeders of working breeds.
Same here, and I'd even stop with just "responsible breeders" period. Low percentage of them... Cute puppeh!

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Great dog.

BTW, Loki was also a shape-shifter. So your Griffon may change into a wolverine and chew your face off. Watch out for that, Mel.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
About 45-50 pounds, probably closer to 50 based on her frame. I'm immune to the pound argument. I understand it and support it, just not for me for this dog. This is no puppy mill dog. It's bred for a purpose and that's bird hunting. She will receive countless hours of training, be able to mark and retrieve 3 different ducks at 200+ yards, be able to lock onto a pheasant and hold it until I flush it and also be a loving companion and spoiled house dog. That's pretty much a given from her breeding and the time I will put into her training.
Nice size.

I'm immune also as I'm comfortable with my own decisions, but I thought I'd make fun of it early. :D

Good luck and post pics as she grows.

len

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
awhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a puppy.....I like puppies....mostly

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Fine looking animule :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Very cute dog. I hope you and her will be very happy together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't puppies first exposed to a gun shot to see which ones will run and which ones will stay? And those that stay are trained because they are not afraid of the noise? If I'm right, has your dog been preselected already?

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
She's a cutie alright. Never heard of the breed before. Sounds like there aren't many in the US right now.

Congrats!

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
froze said:
Very cute dog. I hope you and her will be very happy together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't puppies first exposed to a gun shot to see which ones will run and which ones will stay? And those that stay are trained because they are not afraid of the noise? If I'm right, has your dog been preselected already?
Gun shy dogs are made not born. No preselection.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jorgy said:
She's a cutie alright. Never heard of the breed before. Sounds like there aren't many in the US right now.

Congrats!
More than you think but certainly not in the league of a Lab. In Wisconsin there's probably a half dozen breeders. They're a working dog and breeding is kept under tight control by the organizations that register the majority of them. They're a very popular dog in NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association). To be accepted in NAVHDA a breed has to be able to retrieve and point. By retrieve and point I mean do water/land retrieves to hand, be steady on point, quarter and find upland birds and basically excel at all phases of hunting birds of all types. Aficionados of the breed say they can beat a Lab on retrieving. Not sure, I'll find out. I've trained a Chesapeake and two Labs and field trialed so I've got a good idea of what a good retriever can do.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
More than you think but certainly not in the league of a Lab. In Wisconsin there's probably a half dozen breeders. They're a working dog and breeding is kept under tight control by the organizations that register the majority of them. They're a very popular dog in NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association). To be accepted in NAVHDA a breed has to be able to retrieve and point. By retrieve and point I mean do water/land retrieves to hand, be steady on point, quarter and find upland birds and basically excel at all phases of hunting birds of all types. Aficionados of the breed say they can beat a Lab on retrieving. Not sure, I'll find out. I've trained a Chesapeake and two Labs and field trialed so I've got a good idea of what a good retriever can do.
Loki is a cutie-- something special about a well trained multi-tasking bird dog.

Being from SC, I've always been partial to Boykins. They do it all too, and at 30 lbs or so, are easy to hoist back into the boat.

https://www.boykinspaniel.org/boykin.html

This is Winnie-- my sister's rescue. She's a sweetie, and a great little retriever.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
Gun shy dogs are made not born. No preselection.
Interesting. I asked that because someone I knew, some years ago, raised and trained hunting dogs; when they were pups, can't remember the age, he would take them out and fire a shotgun off. The dogs that ran he sold untrained for hunting just purebred household pets, and the ones that stayed he trained and sold for big money. Why did this guy do it that way, was it easier? He had a decent reputation for quality hunting dogs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts