Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Kickr re-designed its main trainer.

It did away with strain gages and went with an electromagent measurement:
Tour de France 2016: The Trainers & Power Meters of the Pro Teams | DC Rainmaker

cycle ops is offering a lower cost smart trainer
Hands-on: The CycleOps Magnus Smart trainer | DC Rainmaker

wheel on and cost of 600 is aggressively priced to compete with the snap

kurt kinetic is getting into the fray - you are able to buy just the resistance unit to bolt on your exisisting frame.
https://kurtkinetic.com/products/smart-control-resistance-unit/

elite fitness new direct drive unit to compete against tacx neo
Elite Drivo. Driven to Perfection

and tacx neo has updated the firmware to allow for terrian simulation, cobbles, wood, asphalt, and the ability to shake the trainer.
Zwift & Tacx launch ability to shake your trainer riding cobblestones. For real. | DC Rainmaker

so tacx scaled back the neo a bit and developed another unit: the flux
Hands-on: The new Tacx Flux Smart Trainer | DC Rainmaker
what i think attractive about this unit (despite the +/-5% acc) is the price point a sub 900 direct drive unit with Fe-c control, i think this will definitely eat at the kickr flagship unit.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I was originally considering the Cycleops Hammer, but since KK has an add-on for my Road Machine, I may just go that route instead.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was originally considering the Cycleops Hammer, but since KK has an add-on for my Road Machine, I may just go that route instead.
At 549 its not a bad deal, KK frames are rock solid, and if you have a rock and roll frame it would definatly be on par with the powerbeam pro which is at a price point of 1000 dollars.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
So Kickr re-designed its main trainer.

It did away with strain gages and went with an electromagent measurement:
Tour de France 2016: The Trainers & Power Meters of the Pro Teams | DC Rainmaker

cycle ops is offering a lower cost smart trainer
Hands-on: The CycleOps Magnus Smart trainer | DC Rainmaker

wheel on and cost of 600 is aggressively priced to compete with the snap

kurt kinetic is getting into the fray - you are able to buy just the resistance unit to bolt on your exisisting frame.
https://kurtkinetic.com/products/smart-control-resistance-unit/

elite fitness new direct drive unit to compete against tacx neo
Elite Drivo. Driven to Perfection

and tacx neo has updated the firmware to allow for terrian simulation, cobbles, wood, asphalt, and the ability to shake the trainer.
Zwift & Tacx launch ability to shake your trainer riding cobblestones. For real. | DC Rainmaker

so tacx scaled back the neo a bit and developed another unit: the flux
Hands-on: The new Tacx Flux Smart Trainer | DC Rainmaker
what i think attractive about this unit (despite the +/-5% acc) is the price point a sub 900 direct drive unit with Fe-c control, i think this will definitely eat at the kickr flagship unit.
I have a KK so the add-on unit is an attractive option. I will wait until DC Rainmaker does a review before deciding. I have been pretty happy with just the KK dumb trainer and a PowerTap wheel but climbing is not as realistic and that something the smart trainer could address

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a KK so the add-on unit is an attractive option. I will wait until DC Rainmaker does a review before deciding. I have been pretty happy with just the KK dumb trainer and a PowerTap wheel but climbing is not as realistic and that something the smart trainer could address
I'm sort of in the same boat. I'd like a smart trainer, but for the 3-4 months out of the year I use it consistently, I can't justify spending another $500+ on it. For that, I could pick up another power meter or any number of things I'd get more use out of. I wish I could justify it, but dumb trainer + power meter hasn't held me back yet. If the reviews are really good, maybe I'll think more seriously about it before winter gets here.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So dc rainmaker got his hands on the 2016 kickr
Wahoo Fitness ?KICKR2? Trainer In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

The accuracy has been published by wahoo at +/- 1%. Also it is connectivity you can see.

He also got his hands on the new IOS version of zwift.
First Look: Zwift rolls out iOS version of platform | DC Rainmaker

Not that i will be buying another trainer LOL. but if i had to make my recommendations before the gift giving season, i think this year an ipad would be good addition to a pain cave even though i hate apple products.
As now you have the following apps on the ipad:
cvt2015
Trainerroad
zwift

All bluetooth sensors would make it truly great experience or if you have to buy a bluetooth bridge ala tickr x.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Pitt... I agree with the person above. You're full speed ahead already for a fall and winter full of indoor riding and burning yourself out.

Just enjoy the rest of the season and find time to ride outside more in the winter. You won't regret it. I decided to ride ore in the winter outside and haven't regretted it one bit.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pitt... I agree with the person above. You're full speed ahead already for a fall and winter full of indoor riding and burning yourself out.

Just enjoy the rest of the season and find time to ride outside more in the winter. You won't regret it. I decided to ride ore in the winter outside and haven't regretted it one bit.
I am just passing info along as eurobike 2016 has begun, and there showing new tech.

I actually had a good ride last night in the dark.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I may make the jump to a smart trainer this season. I use Zwift starting in November as road season is done here and MTB/CX season is going but I cant get enough miles in on the road/trails due to work, time and weather.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Once I can wrangle up enough money I am going to pick up the new Wahoo Kickr. I've gone through the entire winter last year with the CycleOps Powerbeam Pro and quickly came to despise the thing -- riding Zwift, whenever the ascent grades get too steep or I want to hammer up one, that rear tires begins to lose traction. I've tried many different indoor trainer tires, and played around with the psi, and each has had the same issue. I want direct drive this winter, forgoing the rear tire and just setting the bike onto the trainer's cassette. Once that is done I'm going to take the CycleOps out back and take a sledgehammer to it. Either that or sell it. :idea:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So dc rainmaker did his write up on KK smart trainer (includes the add on resistance unit)
A look at Kinetic?s new Smart Control Trainers | DC Rainmaker

Key point:
Out of the box it is not ant+ fe-c or blte although it uses it own proprietary bluetooth protocol. So you have to use there in-ride app and back door connect to 3rd party apps(zwift, trainer road, etc).

However based upon the review its a software configuration in the head unit and there is the potential for the capability to be there.

There is a development on the software front:
Road Grand Tours

Zwift will be getting some more competition see the above link. They will focus more on real courses rather than so called "gamescape" nothing else to be said however they are allowing you to enter your email into the alpha beta test.

Dc rainmaker also talks to smart trainer developers, some the information is interesting. But at most its just a pitch for the unit.
Zwiftcast
listen to episode 9 from eurobike.

They also say October will be the time to "buy" into the smart trainer market.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
So dc rainmaker did his write up on KK smart trainer (includes the add on resistance unit)

Key point:
Out of the box it is not ant+ fe-c or blte although it uses it own proprietary bluetooth protocol. So you have to use there in-ride app and back door connect to 3rd party apps(zwift, trainer road, etc).

However based upon the review its a software configuration in the head unit and there is the potential for the capability to be there.
Well, looks like KK made my mind up for me; I'll be selling my KK Road Machine. No way am I going to jump through more protocol hoops for multiple devices just so I can maintain a level of fitness during the winter. It's tough enough to get the HRM, cadence, speed, and PM to play nice together with my computer and phone, let alone Zwift. Now they expect me to trust their proprietary, ass-backwards solution? Pfffft.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, looks like KK made my mind up for me; I'll be selling my KK Road Machine. No way am I going to jump through more protocol hoops for multiple devices just so I can maintain a level of fitness during the winter. It's tough enough to get the HRM, cadence, speed, and PM to play nice together with my computer and phone, let alone Zwift. Now they expect me to trust their proprietary, ass-backwards solution? Pfffft.
Kurt kinetic has always wanted to lock you in. That being said kk might change its tune with firmware updates. The unit is only taking pre-orders now and after eurobike they may go back to the drawing board, however that might be doubtful.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

Key point:

There is a development on the software front:
Road Grand Tours

Zwift will be getting some more competition see the above link. They will focus more on real courses rather than so called "gamescape" nothing else to be said however they are allowing you to enter your email into the alpha beta test.

Dc rainmaker also talks to smart trainer developers, some the information is interesting. But at most its just a pitch for the unit.
Zwiftcast
listen to episode 9 from eurobike.

They also say October will be the time to "buy" into the smart trainer market.
Like DC Rainmaker, I struggle to see any good reason why KK would use a proprietary protocol. KK is late to the game and now expeects they can drive the market? I wish that Zwift and TrainerRoad would have told them to pound sand.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
To update this a bit more zwift is in the process of eliminating the computer all together. You will be able to use ipad or iphone to run the program solo without, the use of the computer.
https://www.facebook.com/gozwift/videos/550900371762109/

They aren't eliminating the PC version, just making it optional.

And they are doing this because the market forced them to (it's a good thing).

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but Sufferfest also has a new IPad training platform that is subscription based and includes most, if not all of their videos. They are releasing a windows "App" (tablet friendly) version some time in the first week or so of October.

The market for trainer apps is getting crowded, as is the market for smart trainers. This is obviously good for consumers.

I love my KiCKR and ride the crap out of it (sometimes even in summer), but I live in a small condo/townhouse and noise is a concern. I may very well upgrade to the new quieter unit and give my sister my older one. The only noise concern she has is scaring the crap out of her cats. :p

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
They aren't eliminating the PC version, just making it optional.

And they are doing this because the market forced them to (it's a good thing).

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but Sufferfest also has a new IPad training platform that is subscription based and includes most, if not all of their videos. They are releasing a windows "App" (tablet friendly) version some time in the first week or so of October.

The market for trainer apps is getting crowded, as is the market for smart trainers. This is obviously good for consumers.

I love my KiCKR and ride the crap out of it (sometimes even in summer), but I live in a small condo/townhouse and noise is a concern. I may very well upgrade to the new quieter unit and give my sister my older one. The only noise concern she has is scaring the crap out of her cats. :p
What am I missing? Why would you use Zwift if you did not use the cool graphics?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.