Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rode a Double on Sunday so Miss M didn't mind sleeping in on Memorial Day. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62124

The parade down Constitution Avenue from the Capital to the White House didn't start until noon.

We got our act together and left the house with enough time to pick up a bit of lunch before making it down to Constitution and 14th before the parade start. They had a fair crowd lining the street.

DC has a lot of parades, this always means the most to me and I don't like to miss it.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Parades in DC are a tad odd. First of all they are local and there is a wild mix of High School and Military Bands and quite an assortment of groups that just love to march. Then there are all the troops stationed around here that come out. Finally every marching group in America dreams about coming to DC for a parade-which makes for really long events-nobody minded today.

Best of all on Memorial Day the old soldiers come out. There were still a few WWll vets marching-they got some very loud cheers.

Several things caught my eye this year; there were the Civil War reinactors carrying a bunch of battle flags with a black guy doing the honors with the stars-n-bars (only in DC could someone get away with that), the buffalo soldier with a bull and some REALLY tall flags (good thing it wasn't windy).

Good stuff.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a couple of hours of various groups coming by we started to hear some very loud cheering and everyone rose to their feet.

It was the troops. No weapons, not many flags, nothing fancy. Just the troops.

And the cheers.

It was good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks MB for a beautiful and moving report on a day that's mostly misunderstood by the majority of "Americans". It isn't about bbq sauce and sales at the mall and it really saddens me to think that so many young people just don't get the weight of the sacrifice made by the fallen. To them we give our thanks and gratitude and the hope that those that will surely come in the future will diminish in numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.