Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family and I spent the weekend camping and biking on the Elroy-Sparta Bike trail. We arranged the trip with 4 other families. The common connection between all the families is that we are all Families with Children from China. A grand time was had by all.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Domestique for Team 12 Year Old

I spent most of my time as support rider for Team 12YO. On every ride the girls quickly dropped their parents leaving me to constantly chase the breakaways.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sights

The Sparta Elroy bike trail is the very first Rail to Trail ever converted for bicycle use. The trail cuts through the un-glaciated corner of Wisconsin with its large hills and valleys. Way back in 1854 they cut three tunnels through the hillsides in order to make train travel across the region possible.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
What a cool ride report. A picture of a kid on a bike just makes you smile.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i liked the trail when we did it a few years back. we saw a livestock auction, many amish, the black squirel capital, home of painted turtle days, and lots of wildlife. the longest tunnel is cool. if you turn off your flashlights in teh middle you cant see the end. entertainment in the two towns left something to be desired, though.

cant wait to get my kid up there.
is pies r square still there? i heard she was selling the place. i hope the recipes go with the sale. she was very friendly and nice to talk to.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I like that trail. Flat and scenic. At first when I saw the lights I thought "hey, they're all commuters?" and then the light in my dumb brain turned on. D'uh. . .tunnels. :). Great report.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Great shots. What a cool adventure for the kids. My brother and I rode portions of the Sparta-Elroy trail several years ago. It was great, but the tunnels are kind of creepy with no lights. Did you stop at the pie shop?

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
you missed an elroy sparta institution!

it is not even 1/4 mile from the path. seriously, you exit the path when it crosses a road and BAM! youre there. should sprinted up to the kids and promised them PIE.

Scot_Gore said:
I saw the sign, but we didn't go there to confirm that it was open. We were a 19 bike group, so we didn't stray too far off path out of fear of losing contact with the kids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.