Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Memphians out there running around. Here in the land of "get off the shoulder of MY road". Where is everyone riding? Just rode out 57 or Poplar or whatever to Moscow. That was OK at best, but it beat trying Poplar around G-town or Winchester.

Let's hear it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We are here. Actually there's a pretty good contingent on RBR from the Memphis area. Of note, J's Haiku Shop (moderator on the General Board) is the Hightailer's new Prez. He leads a couple of good rides most every weekend (and on Thursday nights) out of Bartlett. Great riding out there.

Check out the hightailers website at http://www.memphishightailers.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
depends on the pace...

There are several good group rides that begin in April the pace of which is usually around 20mph average.

Trinity Commons Ride: Saturdays 8:00am @ Trinity and Germantown Rd. Usually 60-70 miles.

Mud Island Ride: Tues and Thurs 5:30pm @ Mud Island parking lot on the Miss. River. Rides to Shelby Forest usually 40 miles.

Outdoors Inc Ride: Sunday mornings 9:00am @ Outdoors store on Union Av. Rides to Shelby Forest and back usually 45miles or so.

Hope to see you there.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Bartlett Rides

currently

thursday 5:45 PM 35 dark miles germantown performing arts center (email for schedule)
saturday 9 AM 50 rolling miles bartlett 17-19 mph (email for schedule)
sunday noon 42 rolling miles bartlett 17-19 mph (email for schedule)

bartlett rides start at or near the bartlett performing arts and conference center and traverse roads north and north east of the start. mostly rural/country roads.

DST

thursday 5:30 PM 35 rolling miles 19-22 mph
saturday 7:30 AM 75-100+ miles 17-19 mph
sunday noon 30-40 rolling miles 17-19 mph

above rides will cancel for races & out of town events

there is also a DST ride leaving the carpet outlets on the north side of I40 at the lakeland exit, 6 pm thursday nights. 22-24 mph for 30-35 miles, usually aggressive, team driven, etc. gets a 20-35 rider pack midsummer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
More Memphis routes

bos615 said:
Any Memphians out there running around. Here in the land of "get off the shoulder of MY road". Where is everyone riding? Just rode out 57 or Poplar or whatever to Moscow. That was OK at best, but it beat trying Poplar around G-town or Winchester.

Let's hear it.
I forgot to add the City of Memphis website has some "official" bike route maps. They are actually pretty well done and the routes have intermittent signage. At least they remind drivers that bikes are legal on the roads. I did the East Memphis tour yesterday. Heading North on Kirby was a 25mph blast with that 60 degree south wind. Couple of "crit" type laps around the neighborhood made it 25 of the best miles I've ridden in months. Here's the ilink

http://www.cityofmemphis.org/navigate.asp?sessionID=&sec=aroundtown&opt=bikeroutehome

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tater. That was a pretty good link. I live out in C-ville, though, so I usually head east. Its feels like a mental thing to not want to head into the city where they're all trying to get you. Might have to give it a shot though.

Funny how there aren't any rides, or many anyway, out this way and only one in G-town. We might have to work on that. Yesterday (Sat) I was driving the kids to the park there in Cordova (Bert Ferguson) and we passed a group of about 10 guys smokin down the hill on Houston Levee. Almost locked up the brakes and jumped out of the car to get in there, but realized my bike was still at home. Oh well.

See ya out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Collierville area riding

This is a late reply, simply because I am new to road biking. Didn't see your post till today.

Have you heard of the Bike World group that gets together on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays?

Tuesdays 6pm from the shop, 20-22 miles, 18 to 21 mph

Fridays 1pm from the shop 20-25 miles, 18 to 19 mph

Sundays from Coll-Arlington at Shelton, 30 miles, 18 to 21 mph

Contact the Bike World gang (853-5569) for more info. Rides are about to be rescheduled due to dwindling daylight.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wish I'd brought our bikes over

my wife and I stayed in Midtown last weekend for the 30th anniversary of Pure Prairie League at Southwestern/Rhodes. We had a blast. I love to visit Memphis.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
re: bike world.

i'll say one thing, and leave it on its own merit:

support the local shops that support local events.

ever see their name on centuries, tours, races?

nuf said.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I am a new roadie and would be interested in getting in on some group rides or just finding an occasional riding partner. I have just moved to G-town, and have a nice loop that I have been riding down Neshoba to Kimbrough to Wolf River Pkwy to Kirby and back to Neshoba. I sometimes dip in and out of the neighborhoods and have also ridden down the Greenway for the nice scenery. Yesterday, I rode with a neighbor out by Houston High School and it was a lot of fun. If anyone rides anywhere around here and would like to get together sometime, PM me.

To be fair, I am a new rider and I don't want to hold up anyone's pace as I am getting up to speed fitness-wise. So to give a point of reference, I have been going on solo 10-15 mile rides at about 13-15mph average without pushing too hard. My ride yesterday with a very gratious and much better conditioned neighbor felt a bit faster, mostly because he led. Wow, is drafting nice :D

I see a bunch of riders going up and down Neshoba, does anyone have an organized ride in the area? Anyone want to start one? I have been going out after 9pm on occasion (kids are in bed by then) and there is almost no traffic, so if anyone wants to go on evening rides that will be cool with me.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
As a compilation from previous posts will anyone in the know comment on the number of people or existence of the following rides. Also, if you know of any more rides going on, please feel free to post. I had read on www.memphishightailers.com about the Sunday 8am ride at SuperLo and drove over but nobody was there, so I came home and rode solo. Would greatly appreciate some help confirming area group rides. Thanks.

Tuesdays 6pm from the shop, 20-22 miles, 18 to 21 mph

Fridays 1pm from the shop 20-25 miles, 18 to 19 mph

Sundays from Coll-Arlington at Shelton, 30 miles, 18 to 21 mph

Contact the Bike World gang (853-5569) for more info. Rides are about to be rescheduled due to dwindling daylight.

currently

thursday 5:45 PM 35 dark miles germantown performing arts center (email for schedule)
saturday 9 AM 50 rolling miles bartlett 17-19 mph (email for schedule)
sunday noon 42 rolling miles bartlett 17-19 mph (email for schedule)

bartlett rides start at or near the bartlett performing arts and conference center and traverse roads north and north east of the start. mostly rural/country roads.

DST

thursday 5:30 PM 35 rolling miles 19-22 mph
saturday 7:30 AM 75-100+ miles 17-19 mph
sunday noon 30-40 rolling miles 17-19 mph

Trinity Commons Ride: Saturdays 8:00am @ Trinity and Germantown Rd. Usually 60-70 miles.

Mud Island Ride: Tues and Thurs 5:30pm @ Mud Island parking lot on the Miss. River. Rides to Shelby Forest usually 40 miles.

Outdoors Inc Ride: Sunday mornings 9:00am @ Outdoors store on Union Av. Rides to Shelby Forest and back usually 45miles or so.

Day Time Starting Location Level Distance
Tuesday 5:45pm Germantown (see details) C, D 20-25
Howard McVay Park in Germantown. Ride leaves Promptly at 5:45pm.

Thursday 5:30pm BPAC C, D 34
Thursday night Thrill ride leaves Bartlett Performing Arts Center promptly at 5:30pm. Distance is approximately 34 miles.

Saturday 8:00 a.m. SuperLo B-D 25 miles
The Saturday morning ride is a social ride that averages 12-14 mph. Routes are decided the morning of the ride and usually vary from 25-35 miles. Start location is SuperLo foods parking lot, 4735 Southern Avenue.

Saturday 8:00 a.m. Bartlett Performing Arts Center & Belz Factory Outlet A, B 55-75 miles

Sunday 8:00 a.m. SuperLo B-D 25 miles

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just a quick comment on rides in Memphis. Now that it's Jan., most Sat. rides now start at 9a. The ride at RB's from Wolfchase still starts at 7a I think.

Personally, I've been doing the Trinity ride, but that one might be a bit faster than you'd like.

Check out Yahoo Groups, there is one for Memphis Cycling:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/MemphisCycling/?yguid=214914985

There's a link for a calendar with ride times and locations. I think it is fairly up to date. Be sure to click the links on the calendar for the ride times, those listed on the calendar page are not accurate. You can always post to this group if you're looking for a ride.

As for the hightailers, they don't seem to have much ride activity until it starts to get warmer. For your current distance and speed, check out RB's Saturday ride and the Hightailer rides once they start up again.

Kurt

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
the thursday bpacc ride is one i started up a couple years ago. it's now a hit-n-miss depending on weather and other goings on. yesterday there was ONE person at that ride. we mostly ride fixies on sundays, but shifty bikes are welcome too.

memphis hightailers rides pick up when the time changes again. the saturday superlo ride might be a good place to start, but expect the pace to be a little slower than you might like, the ride to be fairly social, and lots of inner-city riding.

RB's ride/s might be a little quick for your stated pace. lots of triathletes, etc.

as for the hightailers as an organization, it went from being a racing club in the 80s to a touring club in the 90s. i was the president two years ago, and through three years of being on the board of directors, worked dilligently to make it a club for everyone, not just touring or "ride to eat" folks. i think it's re-awakened some...but i'll never be sure if it was a lost cause.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
RB's rides are at 8 AM in the winter (now) and usually switch over to 7 AM in March. Winter rides avg speed is about 17 mph which should be OK for you riding in a pack. The group is good about not letting folks get dropped.

The Hightailers website seems to be OOC as of my last check a week or so ago. If you happen to work at the Navy base in Millington, ther's a group of regular riders out there I can hook you up with although I'm usually too busy to ride during the work day.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
hfc said:
RB's rides are at 8 AM in the winter (now) and usually switch over to 7 AM in March. Winter rides avg speed is about 17 mph which should be OK for you riding in a pack. The group is good about not letting folks get dropped.

The Hightailers website seems to be OOC as of my last check a week or so ago. If you happen to work at the Navy base in Millington, ther's a group of regular riders out there I can hook you up with although I'm usually too busy to ride during the work day.
I went to RB's website and they seem very rider friendly as a shop, so I will have to check them out. I was impressed by their open invitation to come train on their trainers. It is BYOB (Bring Yor Own Bike) as it should be and I think I would enjoy meeting some other riders.

Given family responsibilities, night riding has become a pretty good option for me, so if anyone is interested in riding in the east Memphis/Germantown area in the evening, let me know. I would like a riding partner(s) for 9pm or so rides. The kids are in bed and traffic is almost non-existant. I am a newbie so I am only looking to do about 15 or 20 miles for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Available rides (bikeworld coll.)

Re: bikeworld, the only ride that is scheduled with any frequency this time of the year is the Friday afternoon (1:30pm), leaves the bikeworld shop and goes either south or north of Poplar depending on where the group wants to go. Right now the group is down to 2-4 riders on average.
There is one ride tomorrow (sat. 21) at 9am, starting point is the bw shop.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Memphis Area Group Rides; Please reply with info!!

Latest updates as of 1/26/06... Help fill in the question marks if you are in the know. Also, if any rides are missing or wrong please reply to this thread with info. Thanks.

Monday
NO RIDES???

Tuesday
6:00am, Peddler, 15-20 miles, 19 mph
5:30pm, Mud Island parking lot on the Miss. River. Rides to Shelby Forest, 40 miles, ? mph
5:45pm, Howard McVay Park in Germantown, 20-25 miles, ? mph
6:00pm, Bike World, 20-22 miles, 18 to 21 mph, (Call ahead to Bike World 853-5569)
6:30pm, Peddler, 15-20 miles, 15 mph? (Bad Weather = trainers inside)
starting in Spring - Bike World evening rides

Wednesday
1:30pm, Bike World, 20-25 miles, 18 to 19 mph, (Call ahead to Bike World 853-5569)

Thursday
6:00am, Peddler, 15-20 miles, 19 mph
5:30pm, Mud Island parking lot on the Miss. River. Rides to Shelby Forest usually 40 miles, ? mph
5:30pm, Bartlett Performing Arts Center, 34 miles, ? mph
5:45pm, Germantown Performing Arts Center, 35 miles, 19-22mph
6:30pm, Peddler, 15-20 miles, 17 mph (Bad Weather = trainers inside)

Friday
1:30pm, Bike World, 20-25 miles, 18 to 19 mph, (Call ahead to Bike World 853-5569

Saturday
6:00am, Peddler, 28 miles, ? mph
8:00am, RB’s Cyclery, ? miles, 17 mph
8:00am, Trinity Commons @ Trinity and Germantown Rd. Up to 60-70 miles, ? mph
9:00am, SuperLo, 25-35 miles, 12-14 mph
9:00am, Outdoors on Union, ? miles, ? mph
9:00am, Bartlett Performing Arts Center, 50 miles, 17-19 mph
9:00am, Bike World, ? miles, ? mph (Call ahead to Bike World 853-5569)

Sunday
9:00am, SuperLo, 25 miles, ? mph
9:00am, Outdoors store on Union Av. Rides to Shelby Forest and back usually 45miles or so.
1:00pm, Bartlett Performing Arts Center, 42 miles, 17-19 mph
starting in Spring - Bike World Coll-Arlington at Shelton, 30 miles, 18 to 21 mph (Call ahead to Bike World 853-5569)

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Handsomerob

The Peddler on Highland has two night rides during the week. Tuesday night is a beginers / intermediate no drop ride, We ride about 15 miles to Overton Park and back. Thursday is a faster, you better keep, up ride. Average speed is about 17, so it's not that bad and nobody gets left downtown by themself. The ride goes downtown and back, with a quick trip over the Auction St. Bridge to Mud Island. Both rides are supposed to be @ 6:30 pm. The Thursday ride normaly does not leave to about 7:00. Rain or temps below 45 or so, It's trainers inside. The Sat./Sun/ Super-Lo rides are at 9:00 am in the winter. They will change back to 8:00 with daylight savings time. I do a lot of riding at night. Later in the summer I wouldn't mind getting with you for some 9:00 pm & later rides.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
hey fellers, we're headed to the nudie bar at summer and white station.

wanna go? 8:50/9pm. see ya there?

PM me for a celly #.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
hey fellers, we're headed to the nudie bar at summer and white station.

wanna go? 8:50/9pm. see ya there?

PM me for a celly #.
Better keep your eye out for Bill Gibbons.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts