Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a shoe guy, so I could use some advice on this important style question.

I don't know when it happened, but half the loafers at DSW Shoe Warehouse now feature an elastic tongue. Is this acceptable for the well dressed urban male?

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
I'm not a shoe guy, so I could use some advice on this important style question.

I don't know when it happened, but half the loafers at DSW Shoe Warehouse now feature an elastic tongue. Is this acceptable for the well dressed urban male?
Uhm, sure? If Dr. Marten is doing it, why can't we?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:

for business casual or with jeans sure--with a suit? no way.

IMO those are rather fugly shoes.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about...

Unlined wool trousers (flat front, hemmed not cuffed), colorful dress shirt.

And discount the Doc Marten aspect. Cole Haan and Johnston & Murphy are doing elastic too, with leather soles even. This one's $365.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:

And discount the Doc Marten aspect. Cole Haan and Johnston & Murphy are doing elastic too, with leather soles even. This one's $365.
That's better. Those would work with dress pants.

I was just going to post a picture of a dressy J & M with elastic when I read your reply...

J & M is having a sale right now... Buy one get one 1/2 off.

Edit: Maybe that deal just ended a day ago.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:

not a big fan of either, but I think I like the style of that one a bit better than the Docs.

how you like this?

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/ca...Id=86013&categoryId=300247&productGroup=86014

hard to beat a loafer also:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/...&categoryId=196&productId=3350000&imageType=1

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Here's another pair... These are pimpin'.

I'm a huge fan of Johnston and Murphy. More affordable than Cole Haan but they look just as nice. I have 4 pair of them...

The elastic doesn't make it dressy or casual, it's more the thickness of the sole... The thinner, the dressier.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Used to sell J&M shoes in college when I was working selling suits. Nice shoes. Also check out Allen Edmonds--they tend to be a bit more on the conservative side, but sometimes that's good in men's dress wear. Anymore I rarely wear a suit, but I still cringe when I see someone wearing a casual show with a suit. A good dressy oxford or wingtip will always be a good choice with a suit or when you want to kick it up a notch. Never wear a penny loafer with a suit. It screams--this is the only pair of shoes my parents bought me for interviewing for a new job.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
MarkS said:
If you want to look like a lawyer, get a pair of these. http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/...0&categoryId=189&productId=590000&imageType=1 I have three pairs of them -- one pair in each of the colors in which they are made. Once I was introduced to someone who knew nothing about me. His first comment was: "You're a lawyer, aren't you?" When I asked why he said that, he responded: "Only lawyers wear shoes like that." If that were the worst lawyer comment I even had heard, I would be a happy man.

My cardinal rule: no rubber soles with suits. I don't care how nice or conservative the shoes look, if they have a rubber sole, they are a no-no for dress wear.
I used to have a pair of those and I'm not even a lawyer. Also hard to go wrong with a classic wingtip for dress:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/...189&productId=230000&imageType=1&occasion=189

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
If you want to look like a lawyer

If you want to look like a lawyer, get a pair of these. http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/...0&categoryId=189&productId=590000&imageType=1 I have three pairs of them -- one pair in each of the colors in which they are made. Once I was introduced to someone who knew nothing about me. His first comment was: "You're a lawyer, aren't you?" When I asked why he said that, he responded: "Only lawyers wear shoes like that." If that were the worst lawyer comment I even had heard, I would be a happy man.

My cardinal rule: no rubber soles with suits. I don't care how nice or conservative the shoes look, if they have a rubber sole, they are a no-no for dress wear.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,209 Posts
You know what these dress shoes say to me? "I'm too lazy to tie shoes."

Here's my rule about fashion. Fashion is not supposed to be comfortable. Elastic expansion panels in shoes makes them comfortable, therefore, they are unfashionable. Fashion requires effort, though must look effortless.

True, I am wearing a pair of merril mocs right now, with elastic, but they are NOT fashion, and I am wearing jeans and a fleece pull over. Tomorrow, when I lecture, I will wear a jacket and shoes that require a shoehorn.

But in a month I will lecture in jeans and fleece, with my mocs. So don't listen to me. I am totally unfashionable.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Elastics been in for well over a year. I have a few pairs (more dressy and non-Martin like) and I like them. Easy to put on, very comfortable and like the look as well. The trend is no more blunt square/ squarish toes. Although some designers are still doing somewhat squarish toe shoes but overall trend seems to be heading toward returning to pointy toe shoes. Some designers such as Cole Haan are already abandoning the squarish toe look all together .

I bought a pair of Bruno Magli Cap-toe lace up dress shoes on sale at Nords then return them a week later after doing some eye shopping on the net. I've realized why they were on sale.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
dr hoo said:
Here's my rule about fashion. Fashion is not supposed to be comfortable. Elastic expansion panels in shoes makes them comfortable, therefore, they are unfashionable. Fashion requires effort, though must look effortless.
I don't think so... These are my most recent Johnston and Murphies. They're dressy and maybe the most comfortable shoes I own. Wearing these feels like having your feet in a bucket of butter. Mmmm...

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
6was9 said:
The trend is no more blunt square/ squarish toes.
That's good news. I bought a couple pair of Cole Haan square toe loafers and I really don't like the look. They make your feet look like Frankenstein.

·
my legs hurt
1,012 Posts
I'm no lawyer, but i agree J&M's are the most comfortable shoes i have ever owned (although the recent Havana Joe's are giving them a run for their money). Unfortunately, neither of those shoes can be worn with much more than khakis or jeans. None of the shoes I wear with suits/slacks (ie: every day) are very comfortable (Cole Haan, bostonian, kenneth cole, born) but i find it hard to justify buying more shoes when i have several that fit just fine, just arent comfortable...I gotta try these Allen Edmonds though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts