Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dropout
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I hope you will enjoy a few pictures of my 1980 Mercian.

I bought the frame in December 1980 from The Spoke, a Boulder Co shop who were also
Mercian importers. I rode it over 25K miles then retired it in 1996. Well, a couple years
ago I got it down out of the rafters, took it for a spin, and loved it. I've ridden it maybe
1500 since. It's the bike I take out the most. The frame model is Olympic, possibly their
cheapest frame at the time ($350 retail), hand brazed of Reynolds 531 db, plain stamped
lugs. 73 degree parallel angles, 17" chainstays--the old sport touring geometry.

Frame was recently repainted by Spectrum Powderworks in Colorado Springs, for a total
cost of just over $200. Transfers were applied by me, and though they went on pretty
well, I've already messed up one of them.

Components are mostly a hodgepodge of stuff I've had around for 15 or more years. The
Campy crank is my old racing crank from 1980 with a TA triplizer middle ring, plus a 30T
Shimano and the original 53T. The bike rides on Specialized 32h hubs and Avocet 25mm
tires, the ones that used to be called FasGrip. I also have some 30-year old Campy
Record wheels built up that work fine, just a bit stronger and heavier. Frame was spread
to 126 in 1990.

- Mark G., Longmont CO

Previous color:

Lousy scan of the original color (note Huret Duopar, Jubilee shifters, half step gearing and maybe an Ideale saddle under that ugly cover) :

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
TA triplizer question

Your bike is beautiful. I've been wondering if a TA triplizer could be used as an outer ring to make a compact double. I'm think of making 44/28 double by bolting the triplizer on as the outer ring then putting on a granny as the inner ring, but I'm not sure if their will be interference with the crank spider.

·
uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
very nice.

spectrum certainly does great work, i had them powdercoat my daily driver (mid 70's bertin) molteni orange a couple of years ago. with their clearcoat finish it's indistinguishable from a conventional paint job.

·
Dropout
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's powdercoat, just a single coat supposedly, but it's quite thick. Mark Nobilette (local
framebuilder) said it almost looks like 2 coats. However it was done, It's thick enough
to cover up some file marks on the fork crown. :) Originally I wanted a dark metallic red, but at $100 extra (another coat required) I kept it cheap. I'm pretty happy with it.

The TA triplizer won't work as an outer ring. You suspected correctly: the TA would not
be able to seat correctly against the outside of the spider. If someone makes one with
the inner-ring mounting tabs offset from the main mounting holes (i.e., not on the same
radius lines), then that might work. Harris lists Willow brand triplizer rings, but I don't
know what they look like.

Thanks for the compliments. Coming from this group, they mean something.

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
Willow would work, in theory

The Willow triplizer does have the inner ring holes offset 72 degrees from mounting the holes, but Harris Cyclery has not been able to obtain one for me. Willow was a 1 man operation and apparently is out of business. I really wanted to make a 42-28 double and use it with a 11-28 cassette.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great Bike!

Loved your photos. I worked at The Spoke in the 1980s. Always loved the Mercian frames. I have a classic touring frame hanging in my shed right now that was ridden from Colorado to Mississippi, Colorado to Montana and used to tour all over the mid-west. Also rode a Mercian "Colorado" while racing in the 1980s. The photos really brought back some memories.

Bill

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Hey MDGC, you stink. I mean I really dislike you and your bike. Are you trying to rub my face in it or something? I have had uncurable bike lust for a Mercian for several years and here you go posting this fine specimin (sp?) to throw gasoline onto the fire.

Makes me soooo sad that I sold my 73 Campionissimo frame that I thought was too small. Turns out it was pretty close and it would have worked.

(Can you tell I'm jealous? Man that is one lovely bike.)

·
Dropout
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I don't have the exact dates with me, but it was about 6 weeks, April 1 to mid May. They were quoting me 3 weeks around March -- these places get pretty busy in late spring. I was thinking of using Matt Assenmacher in Michigan, but they stopped doing frame work towards end of winter.

·
Dropout
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buy one!

innergel said:
I have had uncurable bike lust for a Mercian for several years and here you go posting this fine specimin (sp?) to throw gasoline onto the fire.
Have you checked the prices on their Web site? A King of Mercia is not all that expensive
for a hand made lugged frame. Quite a few Mercians show up on Ebay too.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Mark

G

·
The bike is lovely, I would suggest you get in touch with Rivendell Bikes and order what is called the Silver Houpe.

It is a spring steel rack thingy that goes on the bike in about 3 seconds, and comes off just as quick, will support the bottom of the bag and keep it off the brake cable.

Costs about $35. Nice and light, unobtrusive and cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More details on Mercian renovation

You have done a wonderful job with your renovation. The color scheme is similar to mine. I sent my frame back to the factory in Derby as I was able to transport it one way for free as I was visiting my Dad in London. Here is a more detailed history of this renovation:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=204696

Happy riding when the Spring arrives!

Adam

MDGColorado said:
Hey all,

I hope you will enjoy a few pictures of my 1980 Mercian.

I bought the frame in December 1980 from The Spoke, a Boulder Co shop who were also
Mercian importers. I rode it over 25K miles then retired it in 1996. Well, a couple years
ago I got it down out of the rafters, took it for a spin, and loved it. I've ridden it maybe
1500 since. It's the bike I take out the most. The frame model is Olympic, possibly their
cheapest frame at the time ($350 retail), hand brazed of Reynolds 531 db, plain stamped
lugs. 73 degree parallel angles, 17" chainstays--the old sport touring geometry.

Frame was recently repainted by Spectrum Powderworks in Colorado Springs, for a total
cost of just over $200. Transfers were applied by me, and though they went on pretty
well, I've already messed up one of them.

Components are mostly a hodgepodge of stuff I've had around for 15 or more years. The
Campy crank is my old racing crank from 1980 with a TA triplizer middle ring, plus a 30T
Shimano and the original 53T. The bike rides on Specialized 32h hubs and Avocet 25mm
tires, the ones that used to be called FasGrip. I also have some 30-year old Campy
Record wheels built up that work fine, just a bit stronger and heavier. Frame was spread
to 126 in 1990.

- Mark G., Longmont CO

Previous color:

Lousy scan of the original color (note Huret Duopar, Jubilee shifters, half step gearing and maybe an Ideale saddle under that ugly cover) :

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.