1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
steel road, fixie, & MTB
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MERCIER KILO TT TRACK BIKE
http://www.cyclesmercier.com/specialty.html

has eyelets on fork, for fenders...i like that
MERCIER KILO TT...what's its BB Drop? does BB Drop matter much with a 269mm BB clearence?
Anyone has opnions on MERCIER KILO TT track bike?

·
Two wheeled & too big
63 Posts
Mercier experiance

I have had two Mercier Kilo TTs, virtually identical bought from the same woman on ebay . I have one now that I ride on short lunch rides, I like it. I had another one that I rode for awhile and then sold to a guy for more than I had paid for it. I went about 8 months and then felt I needed another. Each of my bikes had some modifications to suit me brakes, bars, stem, and pedals. These bikes are a great value. I don't ride that many miles on mine but, the guy I sold my first one to has put a ton of miles on it and had no problems.

I'm currently looking for a nice old Italian frame that I may move most of the parts over to, not that there is anything wrong with the Mercier, it just does not have the soul of a fine old Italian ride. The firt pic is my first Kilo TT the second is the current one. The diferent modifications I made are easy to spot, I really like the current one better with the single stealthy brake it just looks more clean. The difference between the 2005 and 2006 frames is slight but you can find it if you look close.

·
Registered
1 Posts
im not sure if i want to grab one of these bikes or a motebecane messenger. the messenger has the sexy orange, saving me the pain of painting anything a cooler color. bikes direct dot com has them both very cheap ready to ride, so its not a value question. i commute about 100 miles a week

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I'm in love with mine, nearly 300 miles on it so far. Will be adding flat handlebars and a brake this week, to prepare for the upcoming century ride next weekend.

So far just put on new Panaracer messenger tires since I commute to work/around town on it. Was concerned about the sturdiness of the components in this price range, but the owner of our LBS looked at the specs yesterday and he saw nothing wrong with them. I'm crazy about it.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Christine said:
Will be adding flat handlebars and a brake this week, to prepare for the upcoming century ride next weekend.
Make certain you're comfortable with your new bar set up before attempting your century. I find either bullhorns or drops with brake hoods are the only way to go on long distance rides. Moustache bars are great for climbing but can be uncomfortable on long rides. :)

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Oh my, didn't think about that. Although, since I ride flat bars on the other bikes, figured there was nothing "new."

Hope it's not as bad as wearing new sneakers the day of a marathon!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got one of these yesterday, it was a cool green color. i'm acutally changing most of the components for personal preference and color schemes. i'll be putting anodized black classic track bars on it with a sturdier stem and velocity deep dish wheels. if anyone wants pics, just let me know!

·
Registered
521 Posts
asterisk said:
We don't but I bet if you send them to Bikesdirect they'll just love 'em.
Speak for yourself, I for one would like to see what that green color Mercier looks like since BD can't even take a picture of the actual product they're selling.

·
Registered
42 Posts
dptodd said:
Just got one of these yesterday, it was a cool green color. i'm acutally changing most of the components for personal preference and color schemes. i'll be putting anodized black classic track bars on it with a sturdier stem and velocity deep dish wheels. if anyone wants pics, just let me know!
lets see em with them deep v's!

·
F1000SL
388 Posts
Ha I thought that I was the only one

Alx said:
Speak for yourself, I for one would like to see what that green color Mercier looks like since BD can't even take a picture of the actual product they're selling.
that liked that ugly green color. They show a small swatch of it on the website, I will still get next year. That way I can match my son's orange messenger.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mercier kilo tt

I just bought a green Mercier Kilo TT (6ocm frame) online and was wondering how much foot/front wheel overlap there is.From a couple of pictures I looked at iit looks like there is quite a bit. Is it hard to get used to not having your feet rub the front wheel when you turn?

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Mine's a 50cm and yeah, I have to time my turns a little. But since it's technically a track bike, lots of turning isn't necessary. It's only noticeable when I'm making the sharp turn out of my alleyway onto the sidewalk, but that's 90 degrees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mercier Kilo TT

I bought a Mercier TT 60 mm from BD and it came in mail a few days ago. I was very skeptical about mail ordering a bike but it arrived unscathed and I had it together in a matter of minutes and it was ready to ride.
The bike feels solid and looks pretty good for the price. The stem is too long for me so I'll need a shorter one otherwise the fit is good. I've put about 15 miles on the bike and I'm liking it so far. Time and miles will tell if the frame and components hold up. So far I would recommend the bike as an economical entry into the world of fixed gear bikes. I'll repost 500 miles from now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a Mercier Kilo TT from BD on Friday and it seems good to me. But what I'm wondering is what is going on with the "no affiliation to French Bicycle Manufacturer Mercier"? Is the BD bike a crappy knockoff or is it a good quality?

Just some questions and confusions that I need clarified. I know it was manufactured in Taiwan so I am sort of unsure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you own one? I just got a green one and I looked around for some comments and did some research but I need some clarification.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
amrndn said:
I just got a Mercier Kilo TT from BD on Friday and it seems good to me. But what I'm wondering is what is going on with the "no affiliation to French Bicycle Manufacturer Mercier"? Is the BD bike a crappy knockoff or is it a good quality?

Just some questions and confusions that I need clarified. I know it was manufactured in Taiwan so I am sort of unsure.
Knock off and decent quality from what I hear.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts