Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What years did Merckx make Reynolds 753 frames? I ask because I recently got one, and I'm anxious to know its likely year of manufacture. Gita says its most likely a 1986, or so, frame, as that was the only year they made them in 753, but I could have sworn they were were also made later. This isn't meant to be a knock on Gita. Based on the 126mm rear spacing, that date sounds about right; I just thought for sure I recalled seeing them in a later catalog.

Thanks!

Robert

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

Well as you can see by my sig file, I have what I think to be an 1985 753 Professional. I'm getting this information from the Cadre site though, so the only thing I'm sure of is that my frame is a 753 frame. While I re-did mine, the frame was almost certianly original when I got it, and I took special notice of the decals, replacing them exactly with duplicates I got off of eBay.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Other than a sticker, is there any way to visually differentiate a 753 Professional frame from one built with Columbus SL? I ask because my recently acquired '85 Mercx Professional was refinished by CyclArt sometime in the past and is missing the tubeset sticker.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'll get back with ya

I will pull the seat post from both my 753 and Corsa SL and see if there is any noticeable difference. I don't think there will be though. I understand that the SLX has internal ribbing but externally, both my 753 and my SL Merckx frames look pretty much identical other than they have slightly different bottom brackets. The Lugs look the same.
clalor said:
Other than a sticker, is there any way to visually differentiate a 753 Professional frame from one built with Columbus SL? I ask because my recently acquired '85 Mercx Professional was refinished by CyclArt sometime in the past and is missing the tubeset sticker.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Martin, thank you. I look forward to the results. Just for fun, I snapped a picture of the underside of the BB on my bike:

Not pictured is the rear portion of the seat tube lug that has a similar cutout as the down tube cutout.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 753, the one Gita says is a 1985/86 model, has a very different bottom bracket. There is a center drain hole like your's. However, the cables run through eyelets on the bracket, not grooves or channels like your's. It also doesn't have the four L-shaped recesses. Its pretty much a plain bottom bracket.

Robert

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
still haven't taken off the seat posts....

I'm still in my jammies, but will get to it when I start moving around but the picture of your bottom bracket (this is on your Professional right?) is exactly like my 85 - 753 Pro bottom bracket. BTW I'm liking the color. So I'm guessing you have a 61 cm frame? that or a 51cm.... according to the "" stamped next to the "A" on the bottom bracket.

EDIT: Still haven't taken off the seatpost but I just measured the seat stays OD and found a huge difference in diameter. At the point where the seat stay is brazed onto the seat lug, the tubing has been cut with an angle and (I'm assuming an oval plate brazed on with an EM emblem on it. At the botton edge of this angled edge where the tubing starts to just become totally round again I measured;
on the SL Corsa: 14 mm OD.
On my 753 I measured 16.26mm OD.
This is a really large difference in diameter and I don't think I have to worry about differences in paint thickness or anything. This converts to just over 1/2" (.55)on the Corsa to about 5/8" (.62") on the 753. You should be able to measure that with the tools you have at home.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been looking at BB pictures of the '80-'88 bikes on Cadre and there just aren't enough photos to notice a pattern, and definitely not enough photos of the Reynolds frames. However, given the photos that are there, it seems like BBs were mixed between years on the Columbus frames. I've seen mid-80's frames with the same BB that you mention aptivaboy, a couple that are completely smooth with no eyelets, and one or two a year or so later that look like mine.

Thanks, it's my frame and I'm really liking the color myself. It's a 61 cm and it's a "P" stamp, just turned 90 degrees.

Interesting, I measured the same point on my seat stays and they measure 16.25 mm. It flares out slightly to 16.43 mm at just above the brake bridge, then tapers down to 11.51 mm just above the chain hanger.

What do the rear brake bridges and top tube cable routing look like on your Reynolds bikes?

EDIT: Posted more pictures of my frame here.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Here are a couple pics. It's sounding like that is a 753 what with the diameter of the seat stays being the same and all. I think that's a significant difference from my Corsa.
clalor said:
I've been looking at BB pictures of the '80-'88 bikes on Cadre and there just aren't enough photos to notice a pattern, and definitely not enough photos of the Reynolds frames. However, given the photos that are there, it seems like BBs were mixed between years on the Columbus frames. I've seen mid-80's frames with the same BB that you mention aptivaboy, a couple that are completely smooth with no eyelets, and one or two a year or so later that look like mine.

Thanks, it's my frame and I'm really liking the color myself. It's a 61 cm and it's a "P" stamp, just turned 90 degrees.

Interesting, I measured the same point on my seat stays and they measure 16.25 mm. It flares out slightly to 16.43 mm at just above the brake bridge, then tapers down to 11.51 mm just above the chain hanger.

What do the rear brake bridges and top tube cable routing look like on your Reynolds bikes?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The routing is aero, and the rear brake bridge looks the same. I'll try to take a few pics and figure out how to post them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, here 'ya go! Please excuse the mess, the kitty toys, the clothes strewn haplessly around my little condo.

https://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/aptivaboy/Bicycles/

Not shown is the 2000 Lemond Zurich with Chorus and Superbe Pro (my current ride in the garage) and the 1986 Specialized Allez SE.

Some of these are waiting for restoration and total repaints. I had hoped to have enough cash to take care of the Allez and the Montagner this summer, but a strike, pay cut, etc., all got in the way.

Robert

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmm, it looks like your seat stays are a bit smaller in diameter that what Martin measured on his. How do your stays attach to the lug?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just uploaded a couple of images of the seat lug to the same Photobucket account. Does it look like there's an extra point in the lugs? I'm looking laterally, literally down the halfway of the lug.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I have doubts

the BB on that Professional is 1985. The early Merck's 84-86 had over the BB cable routing

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'm just going on what Gita told me via email:

The A along with the numbers is the serial number and the A indicates that
the frame is 86 - 87. If it is the Reynolds 753 it would be the Grand Prix
model which is the only model they did with that tube set. I hope this
helps.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I'm getting confused. I have a couple of confirmed 1985 Professionals. They both have a Z as the date code, and an A as the model code. They both have under the bottom bracket cable routing. I also have an earlier Professional that has a similar date and serial number as the one atpjunkie posted, which is an early 80's Professional. The E in atp's picture is an early 80's date code, not the later mid 90's date code.

Until martinrjensen posted his bike, I had never seen a 753 that wasn't a Gran Prix, and had the engraved seat stay caps. He pointed out this catalog scan from the Bulgier site that shows a 753 tubed bike that is not a Gran Prix, but doesn't give a clear explanation of what it is. A Criterium, perhaps?
https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/eddy_merckx3/4.jpg

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The reason I am calling it a Professional model is that it has a "P" for a model designation and on the Cadre site that is listed as a Professional. Mine had no model name on the original paint job. in fact before the frame as blasted I didn't even see the P on the bottom bracket. The link I posted is exactly what my bike looked like originally also, and there is no model designation on that page for the bike. a lot of mystery....
EDIT: All I can say is that it is a great riding bike. Boneman has a similar looking frame as mine only his is pink.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts